HARD STARTING 99 vw BUG

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms 99 bug is having a hard time starting....is there a CAP AND ROTOR on these cars ?

a lot of plastic on these cars..where are the plugs even at ?

it is driven around town and has about 90k on it.

any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

VW had some problems with Temperature Sensors in this time period. Check this as it could be falsly reporting the temperature to the computer and causing it to try and start the car too lean.

Is it a Diesel or Gasoline? (Assuming Gasoline if you are asking about a Cap/Rotar) It should have DIS in this year.

Has the car ever had a tune up? If not that could be the problem. Plugs, air and fuel filter. IIRC these cars do have a cap and rotor, (2.0). If it does, they should be changed out if they never have been before.

No, i do not believe it has ever had a tune up...

yes it is a 2.0...GAS engine...Thank for the responces...

i will get going on it..

Full tune-up first... If that doesn't fix it then check the Temp. Sensor that reports to the ECU. (Not the Rad Fan Switch)

Your in the wrong Forum, but try unplugging the Temperature sensor and see if it improves starting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The spark plugs are to be replaced every 20,000 miles according to the maintenance schedule. The spark plugs are located right below the intake manifold. You should remove the black engine cover first, its just held on by a nut in the back (and might be 2 in front) and pulls off. You can access the first 2 plugs on the left side and the other two on the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a tune up on the wifes 97 Jetta 2.0L last year. If its the same engine design you need to disconnect the two inner fuel injector connecters. To get the wires out i ordered a tool from http://www.germanautoparts.com its a t handle that allows you to pull the wires from the base vs the wires them selfs. Wires, cap, rotor and sparkplugs were all changed....oh yea the airfilter too was replaced with a dryflow filter from AFE. For everything it was alittle over 200.00, expensive yes but much cheaper vs having the dealer doing it.

Why every 20K do these plugs need to be done? I would put some Iridium NGK's in it and run it for 60K. I find that NGK/Champion run better in VW's that the Bosch plugs.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Why every 20K do these plugs need to be done? I would put some Iridium NGK's in it and run it for 60K. I find that NGK/Champion run better in VW's that the Bosch plugs.

On the 2.0L AEG (non drive by wire) engines the OEM plugs are the triple electrode copper if I'm not mistaken. The AVH, AZH (drive by wire) OEM is the NGK laser platinum (double platinum?) and the manual says 40,000 miles for those engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back