Hard shifting in the old CRV w/M1+LG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The M1 seemed ok so 6 mo ago I did a 2nd d&f plus LG Red. Out of the blue, the trans is sticky and shifting hard. Does the LG wear out? Anyway, I tossed in the 1000 miles used AMSoil+Z1 that came out of my Accord. What could cause the hard shifting? Can I wait 6 months to do the next fresh AMSoil d&f or do it now? Should I try a softer fluid like ATF+4? btw- I disconnected the battery for a reset.

LG red isn't a fluid converter. Use platinum or black next time.

What is the old CRV's requirement?

Sorry, I meant Black. The 1998 CRV takes Z-1. Never had a shift issue until now. Had MaxLife before M1/LG.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people want to try witches-brews in Honda transmissions. Use the factory fluid, change it every 30k miles and be done with it. Sure it might cost tens of dollar more than some experiment, but we don't have the development resources on hand to actually find out if the experiment is going well!

LG magic that transforms fluid-X into fluid-Y ... I don't buy it. LG claims that one bottle of "Green" LG magically turns generic Dexron III fluid into Mercon V. I don't believe it. Sure they might closely match the friction characteristics, but there is a whole lot more to a lubricant than that.

Flush that thing out with Z-1 right away and maybe it will be Ok. I only use Z-1 in my kids CRV. Way too easy to hit the drain bolt and re-fill. So why screw with the Honda "secret" formula. My kids has 75,000 miles of teenager abuse and still shifts like new because it gets 3qts of new Z-1 every 15,000 miles. Same with the diff.....dual pump fluid only every 15k.

EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO OUR CRV using... crud I can't remember but it's in a thread around here... Ran GREAT for 6 months then started delaying upshifts and really SLAMMING into gear. Did 2 drain-fills to Z1 and it improved but never seemed quite the same.

OTOH, 85% Z1 and 15% M1 and no LG has been perfect in the accord for a while now and I won't change it back.

We all take risks when we experiment. This board is filled with folks who question, tinker, and try new things. When we succeed, we share. When we mess up, we share. Some experiments are better-executed/planned than others. This one, frankly, seems pretty safe...M1 says "compatible", LG says "compatible." But, very little experimenting goes on with honda AT's (lots of questions frequently), and besides a few consistent Amsoil success stories, there's not a lot of info on honda AT's. Can't blame my own or any other tinkerer's curiosity. Couple threads like these, and then we'll actually have data to back up your point, wgtoys.

Wife says it is still rough. I could go either AMSoil or MaxLife. Z1 is last resort.

Originally Posted By: Auto-Union
Wife says it is still rough. I could go either AMSoil or MaxLife. Z1 is last resort.

Is it rough in any particular gear?

In the Honda 5-speed auto for instance, if it's rough on the 2-3 shift, it's a sign of linear solenoid failure.

Z1 last resort? oye x 2

Z1 is last resort.

Correction: New trans is the last resort......Z-1 is second to last.......
shocked2.gif

I actually went to the new Z1 and AMSoil mix that came out of my Accord. lol, don't tell anyone. I probally will go with ATF+4 next dump to see how it is and if I like it add more. If not go back to a Multi and add more ARX.

The M1 seemed ok so 6 mo ago I did a 2nd d&f plus LG Red. Out of the blue, the trans is sticky and shifting hard. Does the LG wear out? Anyway, I tossed in the 1000 miles used AMSoil+Z1 that came out of my Accord. What could cause the hard shifting? Can I wait 6 months to do the next fresh AMSoil d&f or do it now? Should I try a softer fluid like ATF+4? btw- I disconnected the battery for a reset.

What problems have you encountered with Honda Fluid?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Price

I agree the price is high. After trying other ATFs in previously owned Honda Accords and acheiving bad results, I am convinced to contine using Honda ATF.The 2003 mentioned in my signature was purchased new and has only had Honda ATF at 20k mile drain/ refill intervals. At 72000 miles it still performs as new.
This is strictly my opinion based on experience, as I am not a Honda expert.

Did you try AMSoil? I have it in my new Accord and it's like butta. Maybe I'll use it in the CRV if ATF+4 does not work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back