Hard drive exchange issue.

Dell Latitude 5480. My laptop stopped working. My wife had the exact same one.
Removed her hard drive and put mine in. It now hangs up on boot and I have to
press the F1 key to get passed the error. It seems it is a Bitlock issue and I do not have
the password or key to unlock it. Runs fine except for the F1 at startup and the lack of Bitlock.
Any thoughts and thanks.
Happy Thanksgiving
tpm error.jpg

I am not sure how to fix it so I use uncle google to search of possible solution like a lot of issue I have had in the past:

If this is not working, you can DIY google.

Power the laptop down, turn it back on and keep hitting F2 button, check BIOS whether TPM is available and on/off.
You can also reset BIOS to Factory Defaults.

Sounds like the TPM had a stroke. You should be able to reset it, may involve pulling the battery though.

The problem is that the Bitlocker key for the drive is only stored in the TPM of the original computer (and possibly other media, if you had saved it).

Getting the TPM of the new computer running still won't unlock the drive.

TPM not detected is a flaw in firmware on many dell desktops I haven't seen it on laptops as much.

The fix for the desktops is to unplug power to the device for a minute, hold the power key to drain power, then plug it in.

Also there is a bios update that needs to be done.

If this is an internal battery laptop, you may try to put the newest BIOS on the USB key and you can apply it from the key at pre boot. This would be faster than taking the panel off and unplugging the battery.

Try to reset the TPM, if that doesn't work see if there is a BIOS update on Dell's website for this model.

If neither of these fixes it then the problem usually has to be fixed by Dell. At work we have both Dell laptops and desktops, when the first 2 things don't work we end up having to put in a service call for Dell repair, which normally involves them sending a replacement motherboard to be swapped out and then send the bad one back to Dell for repair. Its not a common issue but it seems to happen at random for no apparent reason.

Thanks for all of the responses.
It seems the swapping of the hard drive has resulted in the disabling of the Bitlocker or TPM
and can not be fixed without the Bitlocker key that I had no idea existed or I'd have saved
it along with the other passwords that I need to have.
There seems to be no TPM in my BIOS after the swap.
Pressing F1 isn't so bad.
Ant other ideas are welcome.
Thanks

I disabled the TPM on my dell laptop in the bios to avoid anything like this. I read that it gives better performance so I did that but I can't tell for sure. Can't have an encryption error like this.

It seems the swapping of the hard drive has resulted in the disabling of the Bitlocker or TPM
and can not be fixed without the Bitlocker key that I had no idea existed or I'd have saved
Thanks

Are you actually using Bitlocker? Because swapping the drive, if it was encrypted, should require a key to get it to boot if you are. If you are not having that problem, and are not using bitlocker, then the TPM error isn't germane to it.

Thanks
Sounds like the drive you swapped in has Bitlocker enabled. Can you swap it back into the old PC and then disable Bitlocker? That's the only way you are going to be able to either get the bitlocker key or disable it at this point. If you don't care about what is on the drive you can always just format it and start from scratch with a fresh load of WIN10 or whatever OS you want to use.

Back