HarborFreight Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all those out there who continually bash HarborFreight tools, here is an experience of mine today.

I have never needed to replace a spring on any of my 30/40 autos I've owned in 67 years till today. So off to H/F I go to get a spring compressor for the outlandish sum of $7.90 after all discounts. Worked like a charm, old spring off, new spring on. Had alot more trouble getting the strut off and back on the car than doing the spring. Checked pricing on the net and the same type of compressors run any where from $20 bucks to $60 bucks.

Three cheers for H/F, compressor for less than $8.00, can't beat it. Ya, I know, Made in China.

BTW, I was quoted over $100 for labor on this job.

HF isn't bad for the stuff you use once in a while.

And, you can rent one of those for free from most chain parts stores.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

And, you can rent one of those for free from most chain parts stores.

Ya, I know, but now if I live for another 67 years I got a spring compressor to use.

Seriously, I'll probably give it to my son in law as he works on cars all the time, sort of a part time job.

I think most people will share your thoughts. I think the folks who bash HF can ONLY believe that "you get what you pay for" and refuse to acknowledge that sometimes life can throw you a bargain.

I am normally loathe to buy anything but American tools.

Say what you will about the quality of American products, but we still build the best quality tools in the world.

But I did buy a wood chipper at Harbor Freight.

The big chain store wood chipper had almost as many Chinese parts as the Harbor Freight model, cost nearly 2X more, and I had a coupon for 20% off.

I did have to replace a few lost fasteners and go around the rest of the machine with real Loc-Tite so it doesn't vibrate itself to bits but other than that, it has been flawless. It chews every branch I can cram into the hopper.

...so, you know, if you have any....you know. Deceased prostitutes in your trunk... or maybe if you are a big fan of Fargo you might want to check out HF.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Harbor Freight is great IF you select carefully.
Originally Posted By: sciphi

I am definitely a weekend warrior type. Top quality goes for the car parts used daily, and not every tool needs to be top quality. For most of my work, HF stuff fits the bill most of the time.

With all that in mind, this rings very true:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
... I think the folks who bash HF can ONLY believe that "you get what you pay for" and refuse to acknowledge that sometimes life can throw you a bargain.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Ya, I know, Made in China.

I just got a breaker bar from HF and it's made in Taiwan.
thumbsup2.gif

Funny -- when I was a youngin', "Made in Taiwan" was NOT a good thing. :) HF is great for some things. Most people know what they're getting when they purchase things from there.

HF is great if you need a cheap tool. A lot of the time, a cheap tool will do the job. Also, at least in my experience, HF is one of the few stores you can drive to and buy a fair variety of when you need them in a hurry. I wish there was a Snap-On store or something of that nature, but I've never seen one.

robert

I buy some stuff there. Good value for things that are probably going to get stolen before you wear them out. The China stuff is better than the India stuff.

Also some good stuff. I have a couple of automatic transmission fluid exchangers that have made at least 1,000 changes each.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
HF is great if you need a cheap tool. A lot of the time, a cheap tool will do the job. Also, at least in my experience, HF is one of the few stores you can drive to and buy a fair variety of when you need them in a hurry. I wish there was a Snap-On store or something of that nature, but I've never seen one.

robert

a snap on store would be amazing.

Can you show the spring compressor? I hope it is not what is affectionately being called as "widow-maker"! I buy and (sometimes even :) use many HF tools. I do have concerns if a broken tool is going to kill or maim me though.

- Vikas

How many Harbor Freight threads have been made already now? Oh and a snap on store would bankrupt me and just about any car enthusiast I know.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can you show the spring compressor? I hope it is not what is affectionately being called as "widow-maker"! I buy and (sometimes even :) use many HF tools. I do have concerns if a broken tool is going to kill or maim me though.

- Vikas

Nope, no can do. I've tried to post pics on this forum to no avail. As far as what kind it is. Its the one with hooks and 2 pcs of all thread with a pined nut on the one end, don't know what a widow maker one is but this one worked just fine and yes I did follow the directions.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
How many Harbor Freight threads have been made already now? Oh and a snap on store would bankrupt me and just about any car enthusiast I know.

I have no idea how many, I will say there's been alot of threads about Mobil 1 oil on this forum also.

It depends on the tool, and the application.

A spring compressor can be a very dangerous tool when used improperly, or if you buy a junk one. This of course depends on how big the spring is. For a little FWD car, the harbor freight tool is probably fine. If you are doing a large car like a crown victoria or even a truck, you will want to use a wall mounted compressor to avoid death by spring.

Most of the harbor freight tools are ok for home use or occasional use. I consider everything I buy there to be a disposable tool, and I'm fine with it.

I was in HF yesterday in St. Louis and bought a large step drill. I think it goes up to 1 3/8 inch. Also it came with another step drill that goes up to 7/8inch. Both drills for 15 bucks. I priced one at Rual King and the large drill alone was 50 bucks. I have used their step drills before and they work great.

It seems HF is becoming the place to buy a tool first. Well, it is all over except for the shouting (China wins, makes everything.)

I just bought yesterday a set of open/ratcheting box wrenchs at Ace, $9.99 for four Gearwrench, useful common sizes. Made in China. Very well made, nicely polished etc. I disposed of the container labelling, since the wrenches say only Ace Professional, no China. So I need not be reminded. The regular price was in the $30's. I couldn't pass it up as it is a useful design. There is no fighting it anymore, too tempting prices, it's over.

Now, as long as I am nicely funded with SS coming in, Medicare etc, I am OK. Fred next door can get unemployment, doesn't matter to me. It's all the governments fault anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back