Harbor freight in trouble

Originally Posted by P10crew
When you see what this project entails you will understand why I want a good low cost side cab.
The bottom of the second to bottom drawer is getting butchered.

I'm just mouthing off....Pay no attention. Though I do have a KRL700 series side box I paid $100 for.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Bring manufacturing back to the USA.
34.gif

Especially pharmaceuticals.

I don't mind spending more $$$ to have more Americans employed.

I agree 100%.

Especially with the pharmaceuticals.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by hatt

This is what I need for this project.

HF has the ICON version for $1500. Makes the SO price not look so bad.

I've never seen anyone pay retail for Snap-on boxes....There is always a promotion or similar going on.

And it gets even better at tax time. Techs and trade ppl can deduct the SO tool cost as business and depreciation expenses. So..they get SO tools at much reduced prices, SO makes outrageous profits and Sam collects less taxes. SO targets pros because they know a lot of the cost can be taxed away. DIY guys are left complaining about SO prices but it ain't so bad for pros

And they surely put more wear and tear on cabinets
I have a 3 part Kennedy that's 30 years old … great shape … but only saw 5 years of heavy use.

Kennedy is a very good box, I have an small one for measuring tools only that about as old as yours and its as good as the day it was bought.

Originally Posted by Trav
Kennedy is a very good box, I have an small one for measuring tools only that about as old as yours and its as good as the day it was bought.

In my younger days, I used to make deliveries to Kennedy Manufacturing in Van Wert OH where they produce these (and still do). It was an old-school factory with wood (timber) floors and a lot of manual work to produce and assemble them.

If you are old enough, and weren't well off you will remember that things like one pair of jeans, one pair of sneakers or shoes, one TV set, etc. were precious items that we did not go buying willy nilly just for something to do on a Saturday afternoon. We used those things until they wore out, patching in the interim and changing tubes in the TV set to keep her going.

Yes, we are all about consumerism these days buying lots of disposable items and tossing when the mood hits us. Even the poorer folks are able to do this to a far greater degree than was possible in the old days where consumer items were precious to purchase. I've lived both ways, and the current system is far more preferable to me.

There is something about high quality that really pushes all the feel good buttons for me even if I can have only one not 10 of something. If you know what real quality is its hard to accept crap, most young people unfortunately will never know what high quality really is.

Well I suppose I will have to wait a few months before I stock up on free tape measures, lights and micro fiber. I really want another floor jack but it cant wait.

It wasn't just about the quality of an item was good in other times often it wasn't. It is more people made do with what they had. Average people at least the rich always spoiled themselves. My grandfather still drove his pre war Chevrolet even in my lifetime until they bought a new 58. Manual shift sedan, no radio, no oil filter. He was very happy to have it and was his retirement car.

A stockroom clerk at a HF store is no authority on the status of China prodiction capacity. Neither am I. But being currently in the manufactuing side of the business, I do know there is a huge lull in import volumes from China. Down 30% at major west coast ports. This lull reflects the dwell to the point of when the wide sweeping quarantines were initiated. Today I know plenty of plants getting back up to 100% capacity and needing to expand capacity to catch up. One of the bottlenecks of feeding the US is lack of air freight calacity (due to low passenger flight levels). The scary part is that in 16-20 weeks or so when import volumes may get back to "normal", will the US economy be able to demand enough of this new supply. It's a crazy calculus.

The long term impact on China will be interesting. You will see a lot of companies thinking of how and where they can distribute their manufacturing and supply chain to not be as concentrated as so many firms are now in China. This will drive further expansion in the other emerging economies; India, Philippines,Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc.

Sheesh Cline how do you find them deals? That is the biggest reason I stay away from the tool trucks. I have never ever gotten better pricing than retail. They don't call on me I have to go looking for them.
I tested this recently when I bought the coolant fill tool. I
(Oooo I dammed near just typed a word that got me in big trouble in here recently) NEGOTIATED him down as best I could to get him off retail.... wouldn't do it had to pay full price. If I could get deals like you pros get I'd probably own more SO stuff than I do.

Hey looks good to me!
Ok now..... I snooped around your pic. Is the Bose wave on the bench your shop tunes?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Bring manufacturing back to the USA.
34.gif

Especially pharmaceuticals.

I don't mind spending more $$$ to have more Americans employed.

You say that, but given the prevalence of Chinesium outlets and the fawning over HF stuff on here, I suspect that the vast, VAST majority, even if they say they agree with you, will continue to shop for the cheapest "deal" out there, regardless of COO. That's the reason for the rise of the Dollarama, HF, Princess Auto...etc in the first place. People aren't willing to pay US-made money when they can get a "deal" on something produced offshore.

+1000000

Hey looks good to me!
Ok now..... I snooped around your pic. Is the Bose wave on the bench your shop tunes?

Bose SoundTouch 20.....It's a bad little MF'er!

It simply tells me, if they can live good lives on $2.50 per hour, the purchasing power of their currency is much higher there than the manipulated exchange rates (and they have more than one) suggest.
I wish more Americans would think hard who they give their money to. Self-destruction has many forms, but usually is associated with shortsightedness.

Automation will sure bring a lot of surprises to all interested parties in the near future.

Back