Harbor Freight = Epic Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this socket brand new and used it to R/R eight strut mounting bolts.

Yesterday, when I tried to use the socket to torque some bolts, I noticed these cracks:

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Sorry Harbor Freight, but this is simply unacceptable.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
how old is it?

I bought it a year ago and used it for the first time last week.

sometimes its good to buy quality it took me a long time but i know know i should have listened to my Father when he said he likes Craftsman and snap on..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
sometimes its good to buy quality it took me a long time but i know know i should have listened to my Father when he said he likes Craftsman and snap on..

I am currently in the market for a new set of Snap-On sockets.

I had the same thing happen to a HF socket when installing a trailer hitch. Oh, and all the marketing aside, I broke 3 craftsman sockets before I broke the HF. I found that Blackhawk sockets are stronger than Craftsman....

I bet that it is made in China though labelled Taiwan. Taiwan is known in machining circles to have evolved into a reputable manufacturing nation.

Usually the Taiwanese stuff is pretty good. I have several older impact socket sets from HF and they have been great.

Mine are so old they are from when HF was selling tools from Japan.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

What did you really expect? But it's cheap, so just buy another one!

should be warrantied. A place near me called B&G discount has argueably better quality tools, but don't have a lot of speciality stuff. That being said their made in Taiwan stuff is better than HF. They carry Lifetime Warranties on all of their hand tools..

There is one thing Snap On will not warranty: Anything worn out.I have heard of cases dealers whom would not warranty anything worn including the dealer my father had and were told to break it to the customer.The dealer my father had told my father Snap On does not warranty anything worn out after my father handed him a worn out socket to get replaced.I have never had problems with my HF impact sockets sets,have the metric and SAE sets which no sockets have not been broken yet

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: The Critic

What did you really expect? But it's cheap, so just buy another one!

Harbor Freight usually has a lifetime warranty on their junk....er, sockets. But if you have to mail it back, it's not worth it. How close is the nearest Harbor Freight store to you? For me, it's over an hour and is simply not worth buying their tools or sockets.

I noticed that is their Pittsburg brand. I have several of those type of sockets and haven't had any problems. Even used 1/2 dr. impact. They will take it back and replace it. I worked in a machine shop for years and have seen all the major brands break at one time or another, including Snap On.

I have a set of the Pittsburgh impact grade extension bars at work and have not broken one of them yet.I did get my father a set of their impact deepwell sockets in metric for Christmas about a year ago and he has not broken a socket yet in that set.

Good grief, you had a tool break, take it back and get another. I've had all kinds of tools break over the years, some name brand and some cheap, some replaced for free some not. Things break, its life.

I had a Kodak camera go bad yesterday, so now I shouldn't buy Kodak?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back