Happy birthday to my Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten years ago today bought my 95 SW1 from its original owner.

lakerie.jpg

Long story short, America rocks!!!
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif

When I got it I thought it'd just be a "winter car" to keep salt off my precious 1992 cutlass ciera 3300. Oddly, the oldsmobile failed inspection then failed to start shortly after the saturn moved in. Jealous? Towed away to the junkyard.

Got it with 144k, now at 235k. Have had other cars and a motorcycle to keep the miles down.

In 2006 with gas prices going nuts I rebuilt the engine, all four struts, and half the front end to get ready for the long haul. It also got a replacement engine cradle thanks to rust. The driver's seat is from a twin cam due to "butt groove" and has lumbar support and other goodies.

Cruise control robbed off another saturn. Radio from yet another.

Still have my original radiator. Not even starting to crack by the top hose. Change the green snot every four years. Despite warnings about phosphorous I put some "Peak" in and two days later the water pump seal gave out.

Previous owner did the clutch at 60k. That was it. I have a stack of her receipts. The synchros are miserable but the pedals are close enough to heel/toe.
lol.gif

Still rocking its original brake/fuel lines. I drive it in the winter but at 4 am before the plows and salt crews get out. I run snow tires.

The AC blows cold and hasn't ever been charged.

My wife got in a wreck that did in the rear liftgate about eight years ago. Rear ended by a cell phone idiot. Body shop built a liftgate from 30 parts and painted it themselves. Paint is coming off, I'd go in and nag them but figure they'll make things worse.

Though I may "never" hit ten years again in anything I get for cheap, I also have a 2000 SL1 that was my wife's car from 6/2005-3/2013 when she got an HHR. Too nice a car to sell, though the AC is dead and the door handles are starting to go kaput.

She's got Mag1 5w40 from last December. She leaks but doesn't lose level. Burned a quart every 500-600 miles before the ring job in my driveway with the block still in the car. Did the ring job on my 3 day weekend then drove it to work like a boss.

I feel your joy
laugh.gif

My '93 just hit 100k. I am the second owner and it runs better than the day I bought it 4 years ago.

Tennessee rocks!!!

This car has 98% domestic parts content. Take that, crown vic!

I loved my Sattys... Great thread my friend, and fellow Saturn lover. I, unlike you, did not have other vehicles to keep the miles off, and I was more or less forced to sell my Sats.

I miss them all the time, (But I do love my Civic SI too)

SATURN ftw. I love my Southern built car! Great to hear your story, mine was bought 2 1/2 years ago with 106k,,,,,just hit 161k and I have done nothing except replace the radiator fan. best darn cars ever

R.I.P Saturn.

A Sad day indeed when GM closed those doors. They should have kept Saturn and dumped Buick IMO. GM has Caddy for the fancy cars anyway.

Jeff

Good cars aside from the ring/oil burning issue. I love the plastic body panels... they would definitely come in handy up north. I wish my Integra had 'em!

Saturn died because they lost what made them popular, a inexpensive, well built fuel efficient car...

Loved the "no hassle" price

Originally Posted By: Nayov
where was that pic taken? dosen't look like so me area.

Lake Erie, extreme NW NY Upstate.

Love, love, love my Saturns.

Goal is to keep them alive as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back