Happy Birthday to my Honda mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
It turned 30 years old last month. I bought it new in May 1987, a Honda HRA 214 self-propelled 21" aluminum deck lawn mower. It really only gets used about 25 hours a season. Honestly, I'm not great at maintaining it. I change the oil every 3 or 4 years and the spark plug maybe every 5 years. I cleaned the carburetor once and replaced the air filter I think 3 times. It's got a great engine. The thing just keeps on starting and running. It started on the first pull this Spring after sitting in the garage for 7 months. I do run non-oxy premium fuel in it and Amsoil 10W-30 small engine oil, and spray it with Amsoil MP, but that's about all I do for her.

I've looked at new Honda mowers, but the local dealer tells me to keep this one running because the new ones cannot hold a candle to the older ones.

To celebrate, I'm treating her to a fresh oil change today and a new plug and air filter.

Not a big deal. Got a ford tractor made in 1940, a Bolens garden tractor made in 1973, craftsman garden tractor made made in 1985 and a large belt driven rotary mower made around 1950. Yours is a teen ager.

Last edited:
25.gif

I sold my 1964 John Deere 110 garden tractor last year. The original Kohler 7 hp engine started and ran great at 52 years old.

I have a 2003 Honda Harmony 6.5hp with a nexite deck. People laughed at me and my plastic mower deck and told me I wouldn't get 5 years out of it.

Still going strong. I change the oil every few years and I had to change the plug a few years ago because it was tracking. Other than that its still going strong. I have even run it on ethanol fuel over the years, it still starts on the first pull.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I sold my 1964 John Deere 110 garden tractor last year. The original Kohler 7 hp engine started and ran great at 52 years old.
Last year I Rebuilt (2) Kohler K241 10 hp engines with new standard pistons,honed,cranks perfect. New valves, new governors,milled the heads for flatness Great engines, time with a timing light, change oil frequently.23 lb flywheels! Case 220(1970's) garden tractors.

I am right behind you with my HRA215 SX. It's an 1989 model. My HR215 HX is the "new" mower. It is a 1991 model.

Keep doing what you are doing. No reason to replace it and you will likely be disappointed with anything you can buy today unless you are ready to spend about a grand...

Originally Posted By: lyle
It turned 30 years old last month. I bought it new in May 1987, a Honda HRA 214

Awesome machine...the GXV engine is what put Honda small gas engines on the map.

I've looked at new Honda mowers, but the local dealer tells me to keep this one running because the new ones cannot hold a candle to the older ones.

As good as the old HR-series machines were, I'll bet you'd be amazed at the cut quality possible with a new HRX model. The twin blades really chop up the clippings, and the composite mower deck has a lifetime warranty.

To celebrate, I'm treating her to a fresh oil change today and a new plug and air filter.

Drop me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll get you some Honda goodies to help celebrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back