hankang tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
have u guys heard of hankang tires? they look pretty well built, and cheap, like 60 or so bucks.

right now i have michellens mxv4 energy, which sucks!!!! only lasted me 3 years...and over priced, now im looking iinto cheaper more reliable tirers, more sporty as well.

any feedback?

thanks!!
smile.gif

"only" 3 years?
grin.gif
What does that mean in terms of mileage? My tires also last me only 3 years, and I only do about 5K miles a year on them.
wink.gif

Never heard of hankang. You sure it wasn't nankang?

Anyway, for lower-priced, sporty tires, check out Falken 512, Yokohama AVS ES100 (although these wear out fast), Kumho 712. But I doubt any of them will last as long as the MXV4 Energy. In my experience these Michelins were actually pretty long wearing, which made me even more miserable because they do suck in terms of grip and handling. There's always a trade-off. Sporty (grippy) usually means shorter treadlife. Gotta choose one or the other.
wink.gif

If you're looking to save a few bucks over the big name tires check into Dayton. I think they are a division of Bridgestone and usually priced much lower than their top tier products but get good reviews from consumers. They have all type of choices in the Dayton line from high performance to touring to economy jobs.

Never heard of Hankang
dunno.gif

I am going to assume he means Nankang. That is the only name I know of that's even close to "Hankang"

Nankang's used to be very soft compounds, but they've gotten a little harder. I don't think they will even come close to the MXV4s for tread-life, though. And 3 years is a pretty good length for a tire to last, if you ask me.

If I remember correctly, when I worked at Big O Tires (Nankangs were pretty popular tires with us because of the price) they came with a 40,000 mile warranty. That's mid-range. There are tires that will last longer than that (and I believe your MXV4s are one of them).

The '98 Jetta TDI I currently own had Nankangs on it for a while (when my father still owned it) and he put maybe 15,000 miles on them. The tread had worn down a fair amount. Maybe half of their life. He thought they were making noise, though... so he exchanged them for some Big O Super Sports (tread is almost a carbon copy of the old Penske Speed Trac tires... which works quite well in the snow, I might add). Turns out it was a bad wheel bearing making the noise, not tires (I tried telling him it likely was something like that, but he refused to believe me... because the noise started almost immediately after he got the tires... heh.)

For the grip and the money, the MXV4s are not worth the money. Check out Yokohama's Avid H4s. Nice tires and a good price with an 60K or 80K mile warranty. What size are you looking for an what vehicle? Our 02 Toyota Avalon has those and they are almost out of tread at 33K miles.

Looked at the warranty for a couple tires today...

The highest-mileage ones I noticed were Goodyear's Assurance and Michelin's HydroEdges. Both are 80,000 mile warranties with us. I think Goodyear may have a great all-season tire with the Assurance as well. Definitely something to look into.

Originally Posted By: digitaldrifter91
ahh its nankang tires =) made by kelly?

they are 44 a piece.

i did some homework today.

Definitely NOT Kelly. They are Chinese made. They seem to be gaining a foothold in this country, obviously because of thier rock bottom price. I've seen many of them in person, and they don't look too bad, but I'm not so sure I'd put them on my car.

Pablo +1

Tires are not the place to skimp. All it takes is getting killed and you won't think those bargain are such a good deal.

I've had good luck with falken and kuhmo.

Both are made in japan, not china.

I put a set of falken all seasons on my girlfriends car for 100 dollars total during that discount tire direct 100 dollar off sale.

They are a great tire for the money.

I PREFER the quality Asian (Japanese & Korean) tire brands over most others. Yokohama, Toyo, Hankook, Nitto, Kuhmo, Falken are all excellent tires, and often the best value for your money. I am currently a year into a set of Nitto Terra Graplers on an older Toyota Land Cruiser and they are the best tires I've ever had. I ran Kuhmos on a Jeep I used to own and they were also great.

Now...the Chinese Nankangs are a different story!!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I've had good luck with falken and kuhmo.

Both are made in japan, not china.

Kumho is Korean. They make tires in Japan??

"It is well to remember that there are several items of personal use in which economy of acquisition is probably not a good idea. Prominent in this regard are parachutes, tires and personal weapons." --Col. Jeff Cooper

If you have access to a wholesale club like Sam's or Costco then maybe you should try looking there for deals. I got really decent Bfgoodrich tires with mounting, lifetime balance and rotation, and road hazard for $307 +tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back