Hands Free Driving in 2021 F-150.

....Ford developed Active Drive Assist based on advanced computing of camera and radar sensing technologies to provide real-time hands-free driving opportunities. The technology also enables expanded hands-free driving zones in the future based on system and customer patterns....

...For F-150, Active Drive Assist will be available as a part of the Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active 2.0 package for $1,595. The Ford Co-Pilot 360 Active 2.0 package is standard on F-150 Limited and available as an option on Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum models....

...Available Active Drive Assist builds upon available Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go Lane Centering and Speed Sign Recognition. It allows the driver to operate the vehicle hands-free while the driver is monitored by a driver-facing camera to make sure eyes are on the road, with the potential for more enhancements in the future. This feature is available on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Zones that make up more than 100,000 miles of North American roads....

...An advanced driver-facing camera will track eye gaze and head position to ensure drivers are paying attention to the road while in Hands-Free Mode as well as when they’re using hands-on Lane Centering Mode, which works on any road with lane lines. Drivers will be notified by visual prompts on their instrument cluster when they need to return their attention to the road or resume control of the vehicle...

So I was able to test out a semi-autonomous driving experience via Volvo Pro Pilot Assist or whatever they call it. It is a great assist tool but is nowhere near perfect. I will say it did help tremendously on a long drive as I let the Volvo drive itself a large % of the road trip back.

Volvo system monitors your hands on the wheel time and if you went hands off if would call for some steering touch every 20-30 seconds. Learned to just keep a hand rested on the bottom of the wheel and it was enough "input" to keep the system happy enough that I was not asleep at the wheel.

Volvo system did not work at all if there was no shoulder line and at times where lane markings were worn down it shut down unexpectedly. It also had this bad habit of trying to follow the shoulder line when it turned into a turn lane causing the car to try to merge into the turn lane.

John Q Public isn't going to follow rules, or even know the rules. They are going to sleep at the wheel as if it is a train ride.
I think it should be discarded this auto pilot idea, too risky, and no particular reason to have it. The safety assists to driving are good and enough.

What could go wrong?

Autonomous Class 8 trucks are coming soon.

When it comes to autonomous vehicles, we’re in Level 3, almost to Level 4. That’s according to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) “J3016 Levels of Driving Automation” table, which defines the steps going from total human control (Level 0) to total machine control (Level 5).

At Level 3, drivers have access to devices that steer, brake, accelerate and shift gears for the vehicle. They make the job easier, but the driver must be ready at all times to take over driving duties. Typically, these features are used on the open highway under good driving conditions, with the driver resuming control when leaving the interstate.

Currently, testing is being done by multiple manufacturers on Level 4 trucks. These are trucks that can be programmed to drive themselves from point A to point B. Drivers won’t be needed — BUT the vehicles will only drive themselves under limited conditions. These vehicles may eventually still be equipped with steering wheels and floor pedals so they can be driven manually, or they may simply shut down when they can’t operate.

At the present, floor pedals, steering wheels and real, human drivers are still present in these automated vehicles, just in case.

Level 5 will happen when trucks can drive themselves in any conditions. So, how soon will drivers lose their jobs to robot trucks?

“My cousin who’s 24, is a truck driver, and I tell him that he will (be able to) retire as a truck driver if he wants,” said Robert Brown, head of government relations and public affairs at San Diego, California-based Tu Simple. “The technology is truly transformative and exciting, but it isn’t a threat to anyone’s livelihood.”

In partnership with United Parcel Service (UPS), Tu Simple is testing 40 autonomous trucks on routes in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

“We currently run trucks from the UPS Phoenix facility to Tucson, then to El Paso, Houston and Dallas, the Texas triangle,” Brown explained in an exclusive interview with The Trucker. “Depending on the route, some trucks drive all the way to the distribution center; some get close and the driver takes control.”

Those trucks are manned by experienced drivers, who are hired for more than their driving ability.

“We hire 20- and 30-year veterans to come to Tu Simple,” Brown said. The testing involves learning so that automated systems can react to conditions that could vary every time out. Experienced drivers can point out incidents where the truck didn’t react properly or could have performed better, and the developers can tweak the system. It’s an ongoing process, but it won’t be long before testing gives way to actual use.

When will this happen?

“We’re looking at a 2024 to 2025 time period when it will get interesting,” Brown said. “That’s when an OEM will build a completely autonomous truck that’s Level 4 capable.”

Once autonomous trucks are available for purchase, carriers will begin finding routes where they add value. “Implementation of Level 4 trucks will be regional, route specific and gradual,” Brown added.

Not sure why you need to buy a new vehicle for hands-free driving. Don't need no stinkin' technology to drive without your hands on the wheel. Most people are doing that already.
I do it a lot. On a nice stretch of a good paved road I like to remove my hands from the wheel. It lets me admire the great front end alignment on my trucks front end. 🙃 🤪

Back