Handmade in Japan

Honda S2000 production. This car was build for the 50th anniversary of Honda.

To my limited knowledge, and correct me if i am wrong:

- Workers where hand-picked, the best, at least 10 year with the company.
- Production was done in the formerly NSX factory at Tochigi
- Engines where handbuild
- There where only 3 Robots at the production line for chassis Welding and Painting. Ferrari has 8 Robots.
- Body was welded by hand
- Most work was done by hand
- Production was limited to 1o,ooo per year, every 30 Minutes one leaving the line
- Rumours goes that honda has lost money with every one...

It´s typically for the Japanese humility that they dont used this facts for advertising and dont tell the customers about this.

Best car I ever had...

I was never a Honda or Toyota fan, certainly respected them, but they generally didn't do anything for me. Then, I saw the S2K and it was love at first sight; pretty, small, fast, 9k redline and minimal frills. I had to relocate to Silicon Valley and used that as an excuse to get one. I sold it in 2008 when I bought the Lotus and regretted it soon thereafter....I should have kept it and sold something else. I describe it as 95% of the Lotus' fun with 5% of the issues... One trip to the dealer in the ~7 years I had her and it was for a service bulletin.

World class performance for its segment and Honda reliabity...hard to beat that.

...and the best transmission I've driven.

Last edited:
If the S2000 came out today without a change, it would look contemporary, drive the pants off many higher priced performance vehicles and still sell out.

Last edited:
Back