Handicap vans are expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIL wants to replace their Caravan, it was modified for my FIL to drive, but since he gave up his license it is too "odd" for her to drive. And has to be kept on a float charger. New Ody is $47k! That is vehicle, lift and removable passenger seat. She is working with a salesguy and thinks they found a two year old Ody for 12k less. And trade in a few year old Caravan for 12 (which has like 20k on it, I think four year old).

All I can say is, be glad for ones good health. And abilities.

I saw a show while back on how they were built, Seemed fairly labor intense.

No kind of assistance financially for that kind of vehicle?

if new ones are so expensive why is she getting so soaked on the old one they are trading in?

The handicap drivable ones have more mods which should be more $$$

Sounds like they are being decent on the new (or new used) price.. but taking her to the cleaners on her trade in since she is over a barrel.

Last edited:
If it is medically required, they can take a Federal tax deduction for anything medical (all totalled up) that is over 7% (I thinK of their income. I am not sure how much of the cost of the van can be deducted as part of it is just another car. There have to be instructions from the IRS on this.

There is no way to convert a GC back to a civilian GC once the mods are done.They lower the floors and add all that skirting.

Took a drive in it. Rides worse than my Tundra. Bounces, feels like an old truck. Ac died, local shop won't touch it. Rotor is badly pitted, probably needs new rotors, maybe a caliper as on a long drive it started shaking--but I think the tires need balancing, a quick drive and I think it could use it. But braking is kinda poor, rides rough. The additional controls make ingress hard. Get this, it's a 2005 with 5,275 miles.

And I was wrong the used Ody is $47k. Dropping a floor is expensive, apparently.

They would just live with it, it's ok for running across town. But it's a miserable ride on the highway.

Last edited:
This is labor intensive and you can't convert them back. My brother puts these in everyday. He said a lot these vans are 60k plus when new and converted. A lot people take the used van route and still spend 30k.

Why won't the ac shop touch it?

Brake job + AC work is cheaper than new car. Also the rest of the vehicle should be in good shape with that low of mileage.

Shop apparently was afraid of the electronics in the way. I think they didn't want the liability, and mil isn't quite the sort to argue. I just told her that I'd do the brakes, and would contemplate the ac (how hard would it be to learn? got all winter to learn).

But the ride is rough. Leaf sprung in the back, it seems. Felt funky on the highway, and it's a four hour highway drive between them and the grand kids. She wants it gone, I think, she doesn't like it, I don't think she trusts it, and when it needs work she drives an hour each way to the shop. Unlike the Ody which can be dealt with at her current Honda dealer, which she trusts. (Her DD is an 11 yr old CRV with like 112k. Not a big driver obviously.)

I'd rather her save her money, but it's not my money either.

Maybe offer to sell the old one privately for her. If a new one is $60k then probably you can do much better than $12k on the old one.

You can buy a brand new AM General MV-1 for less than $50k. It was designed to be handicap accessbile right from the start, and it has a Ford 4.6 V8.

DX-Front-Left-Angle-DSC_0502.jpg

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Maybe offer to sell the old one privately for her. If a new one is $60k then probably you can do much better than $12k on the old one.

No thanks. Selling a vehicle is hard enough, but this is a very niche vehicle with a small market. It was customized for one person, and I haven't a clue how it would be set up for a different driver.

Last edited:
Was Honda Element copied from that AM General or other way around? Element should be lot cheaper than Odyssey assuming Element can be converted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back