Hand Oil Pump Extractor for Changing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a Hand Pump Oil/Liquid Extractor (item 10122) from Griot's Garage. When changing the oil, the until will hold 6+ quarts of oil and reportedly will remove more than a normal oil change with the drain plug.

I ordered it because I have an 2001 Audi A4 V6 that has the plastic underbelly that is a pain to remove/put back on, so I am going to try this product. Plus, with the car on the ramps, the drain plug is in the front of the pan, so gravity isn't working 100%.

From what I have read, apparently Mercedes has endorsed this type of oil change by extracting the fluid from the dipstick.

Has anyone used such a product? Were you happy with the product?

Thanks.

Been looking for one myself... I wanna do my own PS flushes and want something with a hand valve...
found a couple but I'm not sure about the design... Looking for something cheap.

Whats the cost and what is the Name?

I have one of the Griots pumps and have been pretty happy with it but now the vacuum does not hold at the joint where you connect the small tube to the larger tube. I will have to try some silicone sealer on it.

Whats the cost and what is the Name?

I probably paid a bit more than I should have.
It was $64.95 plus shipping. I saw a few for $45, some even cheaper.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

I am not sure if it is okay to post a URL??? Anyway, if not, griotsgarage.com and look for item number 10122.

I will have it early next week, will try it out and let you all know how it works.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
I have one of the Griots pumps and have been pretty happy with it but now the vacuum does not hold at the joint where you connect the small tube to the larger tube. I will have to try some silicone sealer on it.

I had a similar problem and I used heat shrink tubing over the joint and it sealed it up just fine and it's flexible.

DEWFPO

quote:

Originally posted by gavinl:
I've been using the Pela oil change pump for the
past year, saved me some backaches too

It holds 6qts

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/globalridershops/plpel60oilex.html

What I would like is to have CONTROL of the suction, ie with a valve if possible... Plan on doing my own PS changes and will flush more often IF I had a pump that would work. I am not going to take it apart. The times before I have used a hand suction like a baster, then I started just paying someone with a machine, but everyone wants an arm and a couple legs to do the PS fluid. I'll pay more money that the 45.00, I'll pay 80-120.00 to get a quality one that will last. I figure I'll get the pay back the first time I use it!

Go to Mercedesshop.com in the forums section and search for posts using the keyword "topsider". You'll find lots of discussion from people experienced with oil extractors and why they use them.

Lincoln Industrial makes two pumps, one that looks exactly like the one at Griots Garage and the other is simlar but is reversiable in that you can use it to pump fluid back in for those hard to get to fill plugs etc. First is about $75 the second is about $95. I got the latter as I need to pump ATF in on one vehicle that does not have a dipstick, just drain and fil plugs. Yes, it is ATF fluid not gear oil.

Only used the pump once so far but heavy duty and it works.

Well the pela pump can be controlled crudely via the bleed valve to relief the suction pressure.
wink.gif

Just to update, I just changed the oil in my 2001 Audi A4 with the Griot's Garage Pump. That was one easy oil change. I pumped the unit about 10 times and went back in the house. When I came out about 8-10 minutes later, it was done. I poured the oil from the container into an old Mobil 1 5qt jug and took it to the recycling center.

For those that were wondering, the unit worked nicely.

Glad to hear you like the Griot's pump, Curtis. I got one for Christmas about 2 years ago, and it's very useful. I use it on diff oil changes, automatic transmissions, and power steering. I'll try it on a brake fluid change next summer....

Mine has the same trouble as DickWell's, with one of the tube sections loosening up. It's easy to fix, however.

I like the idea of the pump, but don't you still have to remove the underbelly pan to acess the oil filter on the 2.8?

I can just barely fit the oil drain pan that I have under my dad's 1998 A6 2.8 without jacking the car up. The underbelly pan is a pain to put back on.

I like the idea of the pump, but don't you still have to remove the underbelly pan to acess the oil filter on the 2.8?

You are correct. Audi pays for the every 10K interval and my new philosophy (with the pump is):

-- I take the car in and they change at the 10K, 20K, etc interval with Castrol GTX. At about about 3,000 miles in, I take my pump and put in German Castrol 0W30 and run it to the next 10K interval. I don't change the filter at the 3K interval.

My second thought is trying to market something for the underbelly pan. I am thinking about figuring out a way to cut out a section of the underbelly immediately underneath the oil plug/filter (as you know, they are right beside each other). I intend to replace it with something that will "snap on or off" for future changes. This way I don't have to take the entire assembly off. I am still trying to figure out what to use for that.

My other thought was to cut out the section below the oil plug/filter and not replace it. But, I am still under warranty and don't plan on doing that.

You all's thoughts on how to cut out something on the underbelly that is replaceable???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back