Halvoline=Chevron Supreem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these 2 oils the same? I thought I read on here they might be the same oil but I can't find the thread to see what the result was.
Wal Mart does not sell the Chevron oil's near me but they sell Halvoline oil.

The only difference between these two oils is that Havoline has a little less Calcium and also contains Magnesium which the Chevron Supreme does not use. There was a post about this a while back. Someone said they called customer service and were told about this being the only difference between these two oils. Everything else is the same. The Chevron approach is better than the approach used in the Havoline oil. If you want the latest version of Havoline than be sure it says made by ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants on the back side of the bottle (old version was produced by Shell/Equilon). Also the newest bottles will say on the front of the bottle near the top right side "Now Improved For Better Engine Protection". Molakule could explain the differences in the products and advantages or disadvantages much better than I can.

[ August 14, 2003, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

I was one of those who contacted Chevron about Havoline. SC pretty much nailed it. Chevron customer support told me in general terms that while the two oils were not the same, they were very similar in perforamce.

[ August 14, 2003, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Roger ]

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:
The only difference between these two oils is that Havoline has a little less Calcium and also contains Magnesium which the Chevron Supreme does not use. ... The Chevron approach is better than the approach used in the Havoline oil.

How so? Check out the product and test data sheets of Chevron Supreme motor oils and Havoline motor oils. (You have to open the PDF file for each "brand" to access the product testing data.) If anything, the Havoline shows a marginally elevated TBN (0.2 higher accross the board - more detergency/dispersency) compared to Chevron Supreme. All other parameters are identical between the two "brands". As far as I'm concerned, these two oils are essentially identical. I'm not even convinced the slight TBN data shows intentional product differentiation. It could just as readily be explained by nominal batch-to-batch variations.

[ August 14, 2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I was the one that called their tech support several weeks back. The engineer told me they were basically the same oil, although havoline has .01% magnesium(basically none) and the rest calcium as their detrgent additive package, whereas Chevron uses all calcium. There bas oils are both the isosyn.
cheers.gif

~SoftPoint

Thank you guys! I'm going to use this oil (Halvoline) to break in my rebuilt LS1 when I get it back. I wanted to use Chevron Supreem but can't find it. After 3,500 miles on Halvoline I'll switch back to Mobil 1 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back