Hakka R2s or Altimax Artics

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Later this evening I plan on purchasing a set of snows for my new Focus at the DTD 'Black Friday' sale.

I like the General AAs on my Toyota and they have $50 more in rebates than the Nokians.

The Nokians come out to $84 each versus $67 each for the Hakkas in my size.

I know this is a GREAT price on the Hakkas and am wondering if they are they worth the difference?

We have both, but on two different vehicles, so I can't really compare. But I am so impressed with the Arctics, if they were available in the size needed for the wife's SUV, I would have just bought them and pocketed the difference. Hakka R2s were pretty darn expensive.

One positive of the Hakkas is that they are supposed to be LRR.

I wonder if they last as long as the AAs?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Later this evening I plan on purchasing a set of snows for my new Focus at the DTD 'Black Friday' sale.

I like the General AAs on my Toyota and they have $50 more in rebates than the Nokians.

The Nokians come out to $84 each versus $67 each for the Hakkas in my size.

I know this is a GREAT price on the Hakkas and am wondering if they are they worth the difference?

I would get the Hakkapeliittas if they are going to be on the car strictly during winter. If you are planning to keep them on for longer Arctic lasts longer.

I got 5 seasons out of a set of Nokian Hakka RSI's... on my 2nd winter on a set of Nokian Hakka R's... and they are about 1/4 worn ...average about 12000 km (7500 miles) per winter... on a Honda Odyssey van, heavy, but gently driven.

Know a guy who burned thru a set of Blizzak WS-70's in one season... but he is a drive it like you stole it guy...

If you want maximal grip on snow and ice, they're probably worth it. But don't drive with them when temps go above 50 F or they'll wear fast.

Has Altimax appeared on any test recently?

What size do you need? I just picked up my R2's and I'm shocked how soft the rubber is!! I am having them installed tomorrow. I see the Altimax arctics are listed at 92$ a piece studded in 195-65-15, which seems quite good.. (at least in size 195-65-15). On the sidewall of my R2's it says: Ultra LRR

Last edited:
I was mistaken on the price of the AAs as the $50 m-i-r only applied if I used their credit card. This brought them to $79.50 each but I went with the AAs anyway based on my experience with them.

I didn't get much confidence when I read that some people were having balancing issues with the Russian made Hakkas (this is especially important to me when buying online where I can't just take them back).

Another factor was the long wearing nature of the AAs.

The OE factory tire was a 215/55/16 and I bought 205/60/16s.

I was mistaken on the price of the AAs as the $50 m-i-r only applied if I used their credit card. This brought them to $79.50 each but I went with the AAs anyway based on my experience with them.

I didn't get much confidence when I read that some people were having balancing issues with the Russian made Hakkas (this is especially important to me when buying online where I can't just take them back).

Another factor was the long wearing nature of the AAs.

The OE factory tire was a 215/55/16 and I bought 205/60/16s.

I read the same but took my chances..I will post back to advise if I have any issues tomorrow. Mine were made in Russia.

Not BALANCE issues.... VIBRATION isues... you can "balance..." a bent wheel, but it will still VIBRATE.

People have vibration issues with EVERY BRAND of tire... as soon as you separate the oem wheel / tire assembly, or get new wheels... you have a very high probability of having at least one wheel / tire assembly with a vibration.

Most can be fine tuned enough to get a smooth ride... with patience, knowledge and the right equipment.

Read up on road-force balancing...road force variation etc.

And I have now run 16 NOKIAN Hakka winter tires, the last 8 being RUSSIAN... and never had a problem... a couple took some " adjusting..." but all ran smooth.

The Russian Nokian tire plant is supposedly one of the most advanced in the world... !?

The Hakka R2s on my Jeep balanced out smoothly when they were mounted last year. After running them through last winter and the last few weeks, they're still smooth, no vibes or anything.

Had mine installed today. Balance and install went very smoothly and got car up to 75mph (125km/hr) and no vibrations or shaking. These tires are very smooth compared to my old semperit ice grips (granted they were studded). Smooth ride, so im very happy with them so far. No snow or ice yet so cant say how they handle but they are very soft so turns need be done a bit more slowly as they are a bit squishier, but not a deal breaker at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back