Had truck junked/salvaged how to remove it from DMV.

What do you mean "Marked As" a farm truck? Did it have a Virginia Farm Truck license plate? Was it insured?

Virginia did not have "farm use" plates issued by the DMV, and will not have them until July 1 2023.

Prior to then, you simply purchased "farm use" plates at any farm store.

I know i used to see some cars with farm use plates on them!

In one of the facebook comment sections on the news article about this change, there was a lot of complaining and one of my fellow Virginians helpfully suggested that,

"You can just take your front tag off another vehicle and use that instead, the cops don't care if you don't run a front tag" or something to that effect.

I live in VA so they charge property tax on it.

When you file your property tax return (usually around this time of year), you'll check the box saying that the vehicle has been sold and return the form back to the city or county you live in.

You can call your county/city Commissioner of Revenue for more info.

Virginia did not have "farm use" plates issued by the DMV, and will not have them until July 1 2023.

Prior to then, you simply purchased "farm use" plates at any farm store.

Yes got mine at tractor supply.

I don't know about your state but Florida titles have a part on the title that the seller fills in when he sells the vehicle and the seller then files that part directly with the state. But a lot of people never bother to do it so sometimes it becomes a problem later on if the buyer doesn't register the vehicle.
Floriduh being Floriduh, right. Give you a FLA stolen truck story... FIL has small construction firm, one of his employees absconds with a truck... after searching for a few weeks to no avail, go to Marion County Sherriff and try to report it stolen...

Deputy says we can't report it stolen because we allowed the guy to use it... therefore it isn't stolen. well screw you too twice, right?
so what do you do?

more than a year goes by,,,, some guy comes up knocking on the door.. wants to know if we want to sell the truck, it has been abandoned and stripped down to the cab out in a field.. yeah, we want to sell it.. :) get it off our name.

In one of the facebook comment sections on the news article about this change, there was a lot of complaining and one of my fellow Virginians helpfully suggested that,

"You can just take your front tag off another vehicle and use that instead, the cops don't care if you don't run a front tag" or something to that effect.
That's certainly different than my experience from when I lived there. In the 1970s the cops in Virginia used to be real sticklers for making sure that you had a front license plate. When I moved to Va my car was registered in a state that didn't (and still doesn't) issue front licenses plates. I was stopped at least three times in less than two weeks for not having a front license plate (I had 30 days to get Virginia plates.) Later when I was living there and had cars registered there, every time that I got stopped the cops would walk around my car and make sure that I had a front plate and that it matched the rear license plate!

FYI, here in Florida most LE cars have license place scanners and they scan the license plate of every vehicle that they pass and they check the validity of the plate, the description of the car, and the insurance status of the car, and the identity of the owner. If there are any stolen car reports, outstanding tickets, or the owner is Wanted, or if the car doesn't have insurance, the systems alerts the officer. At that point the officer has legal justification to stop the car. But for things like insurance they frequently don't. One officer told me that if he stopped every car that was flagged for no insurance that he wouldn't be able to even drive down the road because he would have to be constantly stopping. Many towns are now installing the license plate readers on garbage trucks and other city owned vehicles and those scan every car that the pass, even cars parked in people's driveways.

There is something new about the license plate readers that in one of the bills that has just been passed by the Florida Legislature but I haven't looked it up yet.

Here is something about the plate readers from 2021 but I don't think this particular bill passed.

PS Another attempt in 2022

More

That's certainly different than my experience from when I lived there. In the 1970s the cops in Virginia used to be real sticklers for making sure that you had a front license plate.

They really don't care, at least around here. Probably 1 out of every 10 vehicles I see has no front plate, and it has a Virginia plate in the rear.

I went through this several years ago, I had sold a truck to a guy who ended up using it as a farm truck and never registered it. I didn't catch it until a few years later because my dad had been paying my property taxes before I had a chance to even look at the bill... at some point the town thought that I was in their jurisdiction and sent me a bill. It was a huge mess, the town couldn't do anything until I had the county resolve it which in turn they had me goto the DMV all because I didn't fill out the back of the registration. It doesn't even ask for anything personal just a date that the vehicle was disposed of.

The DMV was probably the worst ones to deal with, the county explained it to me that they have a hidden folder basically where all the inactive vehicles go and I needed them to remove it from my name, the person at the DMV didn't really know anything and I tried explaining the best I could from what the county told me but they finally figured it out, next step was back to the county who basically gave me a sheet of paper to handwrite a letter basically that I no longer owned that vehicle and the reasons then sign it, they took it to their supervisor who then signed off on it. The town I didn't really have to do much because they get their information from the county so by resolving it with them first they would update their records.

I spoke with my insurance agent about it because it still was in my name for so long and she said that most likely he was using his homeowners or farm insurance to cover it. The problem is he never registered it so thus never paid any taxes or anything.... If I had known I wouldn't have even sold him the truck.

The only way I knew he was using it as a farm truck was that I saw him at least twice on the road in one of the towns I would pass through on my way to work, he had a 55 gallon drum on the back I'm assuming for diesel fuel and had the generic store bought farm vehicle tag on the back.

Last edited:
Back