Had Pilot Road 3's Put On Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a little better wear longevity over the Pirelli Scorpion Trails which went 5000 this time. Factory Scorpions went 6000. Hoping for 7000 out of the Michelins.

You're only getting 5,000 miles out of your tires??!!?!

I know bikes eat tires, but ugh....

Last edited:
Yep. Guys that run canyon roads and other coarse asphalt get less. Main issue for me is the rear squares off (flat area in center) towards the end and forms shoulder ridges which it starts feeling squirrelly in the lean. If there were more twisties around here I might be able to keep the wear more even.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Looking for a little better wear longevity over the Pirelli Scorpion Trails

According to this German test, Scorpion Trails came in last place when it comes to treadlife (verschleiss). So, anything you replace it with will probably have better treadlife.
smile.gif

They did not test Pilot Road 3. Metzeler Tourance Next came in first in their comparo.

https://translate.google.com/translate?h...797%3Fseite%3D6

My sister had a set of Pilot Road 3's, and liked them better than the OEM Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8's, on her R1200RT. This past summer she got a set of the Pilot Road 4's, and said they are an improvement over the 3's in every respect.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Did you get the GT's or regular ?

Sorry I got mixed up, thought you got PR 4's
blush.gif

PR3's are good, they always last well for me. PR4's are also nice, but to be honest I didn't notice a huge improvement in handling or grip over the 3's. They've done 5000km (3000 miles) so far and look like they'll be good for that again, so they also seem to last well. But if there was a significant price advantage, I'd happily go back to the 3's.

I have PR3s on mine now (only a few hundred miles so far, so I can't really comment on longevity). I like how they feel though and they do a good job in the wet. I replaced Pirelli Diablo Stradas which I did like (and got around 6,000 miles out of). Previous to that I used Bridgestone BT014s, which didn't suit my bike (and they wore out quickly).

Originally Posted By: weasley
I have PR3s on mine now (only a few hundred miles so far, so I can't really comment on longevity). I like how they feel though and they do a good job in the wet. I replaced Pirelli Diablo Stradas which I did like (and got around 6,000 miles out of). Previous to that I used Bridgestone BT014s, which didn't suit my bike (and they wore out quickly).

Funny you mention the Diablo Strada's. That's what came on my bike when I bought it (used). I estimate that they had about 50-60% tread life on them, and I managed to get about 3k miles before the threads started showing. I currently have a PR2 on the rear and a Pilot Power up front. There is a definite difference in feel between the Pirelli's and the Michelin's. The Michelin's feel much smoother at speed and have superior turn in charecteristics; in my opinion. I don't have any experience with the PR3's, but I think I will be sticking with Michelins for my bikes from now on.

Hey 29662, I noticed the exact as well at speed. Took the slab home due to cold and gloomy out even some mist, and the PR3's were smoother riding than the Pirelli's.

My front tire (Diablo strada) had scalloped really bad and caused some pretty good vibration at anything over 80mph, 100+ was downright scary. It also shook/vibrated bad enough under hard braking that I thought I might have a bad/loose bearing somewhere. After I put the Michelin's on all was right with the world, I absolutley love them and would recommend them to anyone.

Originally Posted By: Franklim
Using PR3 now. My second set of PR3. Love the excellent grip in dry and in wet. Last set lasted about 20k km.

You got 20,000km out of a set of tyres? On a Bandit 1250? That would have to be some sort of World Record!

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: Franklim
Using PR3 now. My second set of PR3. Love the excellent grip in dry and in wet. Last set lasted about 20k km.

You got 20,000km out of a set of tyres? On a Bandit 1250? That would have to be some sort of World Record!

I have been using my bandit 1250 as my daily ride and occasionally tour up north at Malaysia and Thailand. I do not overload my bike with gears. Maybe that why my tyres lasts longer.

You must treat the throttle very gently I'm guessing - it's been my experience that a big, torquey bike like a Bandit would normally chew through a back tyre in 6000 - 8000 kilometers. 20,000 is phenomenal!

I just took the BT023 Bridgestones off my bandit 1200 at 15K miles. Smooth throttle is the answer to good tire mileage and rolling corners.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: hpb
You must treat the throttle very gently I'm guessing - it's been my experience that a big, torquey bike like a Bandit would normally chew through a back tyre in 6000 - 8000 kilometers. 20,000 is phenomenal!

Yap. Riding slow and easy as too many hidden traffic cameras around in Singapore. Don't want to lose my riding licence. But I occasionally ride up to Malaysia for a quick blast up to 200km/h and the bike still can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back