had a close call last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Smcatub
So you were speeding down a suburban street and had the option to move left a lane

Left line was full of cars. I had right-of-way in the intersection. He crossed in my path almost causing an accident. He brake checked me to the point I almost collided.

And I'm the bad guy?

Wow, I'm wasting my time here.

Not sure what you would expect from BITOG. Some may agree with your actions, others will think you showed poor judgment, heck, some may even call you a scofflaw.

Just trying to put things into perspective - do you think a pic on a website would do anything to change this guy's behavior (below)? On the other hand, you are driving on the same roads that this guy drives.

In Santa Ana, CA, three teens crossing in a crosswalk were killed during Halloween, 6:45pm.
Driver, who was with two of his own kids, never hit brakes, abandoned his Honda CRV a few blocks away, fleeing the scene.

Jaquinn Bell's criminal record dates to 2009 when he was placed on probation after pleading guilty in a domestic violence case. Since then, court records show he has violated probation seven times and that he has usually been punished with short jail sentences and orders to attend substance abuse and child endangerment treatment programs.

In 2010, he pleaded guilty to violating a protective order and was sentenced to 30 days in jail and probation and was ordered to complete a treatment program for batterers, court documents show.

His probation was revoked and then reinstated several additional times in the subsequent years, including for his August arrest for hit-and-run driving and driving under the influence.

His driver’s license was suspended in early October – 17 days before the crashed that killed the three trick-or-treaters in Santa Ana.

Link: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bell-640677-police-hit.html
(LA Times is busy rewriting this as a "broken family due to deportation" story, which is a shame, since last night they had a better description of Mr. Bell's criminal record.)

Well, I thought about it some more. I made a few mistakes. When I realized that the light might change anytime soon, I should have slowed down and even better stop and prepare for that to eventually change to yellow.

Same with the scene of that driver who was not turning right while he could. I should have stopped and waive him in.

And most importantly, I should not have used my horn. This was not politically correct, as it could have hurt his feelings. As a matter of fact I (...gasp!) did hurt his feelings, as he did brake check me. I should be very grateful that he provided that feedback to me. Maybe I'll remember next time.

And at the next red light, I should not have pulled next to him at all. I should have stayed behind at least 2 car lengths, so he would not be upset at all.

Lessons learned, LOL!

You have to forgive me, I was brought up in a country where political correctness was not a priority. I know, a terrible experience.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
All you people saying the OP is in the wrong are a bunch of morons. The guy clearly cut him off, no signal or warning.
You all sounds like a bunch of Harvard grad liberal whackjobs.

Another example...By your logic.... Teenager rear ends you because they are texting, but you idiots come to the conclusion that it's not the teenagers fault because one of your brake lights happen to be out...
oh and by the way it's broad daylight.

What a crock.

Funny that you said that. I haven't had an accident at fault since 1995 when I rear ended someone in front of me (due to weak brakes on the car i was driving at that time and traffic stopping suddenly on hwy). But I was rear-ended (mildly with little damage) twice in the last couple of years by young people texting while I was stopped at red light (all 3 brake light working BTW). That clearly means there is something wrong with me and my driving. Over and out.

He might be more important than you and therefore you should get out of his way. You being there was inconvenient for him. Many people know they are more important then others around them and we should be grateful that they put up with the rest of us. Can you imagine having to put up with traffic and having other drivers getting in your way when you have someplace more important on your schedule? That's why they tailgate you. They will pass their check points 1 or 2 seconds quicker if they get right on your bumper at 40 or 50 miles per hour. You's supposed to get the message and get out of the way. Those 1 or 2 seconds could mean disaster if that driver is late. The rabbit hole might just close up and then it would all be over. You'd feel terrible causing something like that to happen, wouldn't you?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
All you people saying the OP is in the wrong are a bunch of morons. The guy clearly cut him off, no signal or warning.
You all sounds like a bunch of Harvard grad liberal whackjobs.

Another example...By your logic.... Teenager rear ends you because they are texting, but you idiots come to the conclusion that it's not the teenagers fault because one of your brake lights happen to be out...
oh and by the way it's broad daylight.

What a crock.

Lol. Plot twist.

What is the OP caused an accident because he had his phone out taking a picture of an old man? Explain that one to the first responding LEO.

There is a horrible song we all dislike but applicable.

Let it go, let it go.......

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Exactly! To let it go is far easier than spending time in jail or ?? for some stupid "pay back" deal via road rage. These can escalate to things far more than we can imagine! Let it go, let it go!

And at the next red light, I should not have pulled next to him at all. I should have stayed behind at least 2 car lengths, so he would not be upset at all.

Joking aside, you actually should have avoided such confrontations. For all you know, the guy could have had a gun and shot you when you pulled up next to him and started taking pictures. It happened before.

You have to forgive me, I was brought up in a country where political correctness was not a priority. I know, a terrible experience.
Political Correctness in many forms is bunch of bull pucky. Road Idiots need correction. Especially those guys/gals who block a pass by speeding up. Noo need to apologize (though even I wouldn't have taken the guys photo though
smile.gif
I don't have a camera phone
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaze

Exactly! To let it go is far easier than spending time in jail or ?? for some stupid "pay back" deal via road rage. These can escalate to things far more than we can imagine! Let it go, let it go!
Nope. Absolutely disagree. its better to get the anger out! Choose you fight though - blocking a pass (even across a double yellow) will have me putting you in court.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Blaze

Nope. Absolutely disagree. its better to get the anger out! Choose you fight though - blocking a pass (even across a double yellow) will have me putting you in court.

So basically get the anger out as long as its not on you? Sounds like you have money to burn.

Well, I thought about it some more. I made a few mistakes. When I realized that the light might change anytime soon, I should have slowed down and even better stop and prepare for that to eventually change to yellow.

Same with the scene of that driver who was not turning right while he could. I should have stopped and waive him in.

And most importantly, I should not have used my horn. This was not politically correct, as it could have hurt his feelings. As a matter of fact I (...gasp!) did hurt his feelings, as he did brake check me. I should be very grateful that he provided that feedback to me. Maybe I'll remember next time.

Lessons learned, LOL!

This is a wonderful response lol.
sure speeding up was a bad move but you were under the impression the guy waiting was smart enough to wait until the path was clear. So shame on you for not planning for the inconsistent morons around you.
smile.gif

2 words, dash cam!

op, pls drive defensively, assume the guy will cut in and get ready to tap your brakes, it will save u at the end of the guy. once an accident happens, it does not matter who was it fault, u suffer!
but dash cam will give u an instant replay.... :)

Originally Posted By: ram_man
sure speeding up was a bad move but you were under the impression the guy waiting was smart enough to wait until the path was clear. So shame on you for not planning for the inconsistent morons around you.
smile.gif

Exactly! As you become a better driver, you realize that anything you can do to avoid inviting yourself into an accident is better than actually being in an accident. Making allowances for idiot drivers is driving excellence, not deficiency in manhood or political correctness.

That's why I question why the OP had to brake hard yet a second time when the idiot driver brake checked him. Why would anyone NOT attempt to space himself from a dangerous driver?

My son in law trained as a UPS driver and they instill extreme defensive driving skills to the point that if you get hit by someone that runs a stop sign, it is your fault in the eyes of the UPS company (not "clearing the intersection"). This is only a slight exaggeration and it is not uncommon to have to get union representation to avoid demerits or firing.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
That's why I question why the OP had to brake hard yet a second time when the idiot driver brake checked him. Why would anyone NOT attempt to space himself from a dangerous driver?

+1 Good question.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: ram_man
smile.gif

Exactly! As you become a better driver, you realize that anything you can do to avoid inviting yourself into an accident is better than actually being in an accident. Making allowances for idiot drivers is driving excellence, not deficiency in manhood or political correctness.

My son in law trained as a UPS driver and they instill extreme defensive driving skills to the point that if you get hit by someone that runs a stop sign, it is your fault in the eyes of the UPS company (not "clearing the intersection"). This is only a slight exaggeration and it is not uncommon to have to get union representation to avoid demerits or firing.

Amen, always leave your ego at home and drive like "I see crazy driver, there are every where".

I nearly got t-boned by drives who decided at the last minute they do NOT want to turn anymore and turned their blinkers off and kept driving straight, that is straight into me.

I'm with the OP. OP had the right of way(green light),driver making that last minute turn(sitting at the red light) failed to yeild to the right of way,plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back