had a close call last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was coming back from work on a 2 lane suburban road. I was approaching an intersection with a green light that was there for a while. So, I accelerated not no miss is (about 50 in 40 mph zone). At the same time I noticed a blue car sitting there waiting to make a right turn. I was thinking why the person waits there as there was plenty of time to make that turn. I was on the intersection already when that person made up his mind and turned in my path. I had to brake hard. I blasted him with my horn, so the person decided to brake check me. Had to brake hard again. Fortunately, no one followed me.

I changed the line and caught up with the person at the next red light. I expected a crazy teenager. No, it was old fat man with a look of mental disease. Of course he avoided my look. I took his picture with my phone.

Is the a website where you post pictures of road rage drivers?

You mean a selfie
smile.gif
No point blasting your horn at anyone unless you need them to move out of your way or stop. This case seems more like annoyance which leads to road rage.

The good part of the story is the "mental" guy did not produce a weapon or using his vehicle as weapon.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Sure, what's your web site URL?

You sped up, above the posted limit, to catch a light.
You saw him waiting.
He turned in front of you.
You had to brake hard and hit the horn.
He "brake checked" you.
You took a picture of the other driver.

You're not totally in the clear here.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What would be your motive?
I would say Bad drivers need to know they are bad drivers. Brake check drivers (if they actually brake and not just "light the brake light") are a lawless danger. and , oh yes , I am RAELLY fed up and tired of dealing with selfish and inattentive morons on my commute everyday
smile.gif

I treat every drive like I'm in an un-familiar city in a bad part of town, and my goal is to get myself and my car home un-scathed.

Red lights, getting stuck behind a bus, pedestrians in the street don't bother me once I stop to consider my goal.

You avoided an accident and a potential lunatic, SUCCESS!

4-5 bad decisions on the part of the OP, and he only points the finger at the other driver.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan

Sure, what's your web site URL?

You sped up, above the posted limit, to catch a light.
You saw him waiting.
He turned in front of you.
You had to brake hard and hit the horn.
He "brake checked" you.
You took a picture of the other driver.

You're not totally in the clear here.

X2

So you were speeding down a suburban street and had the option to move left a lane and let the guy make his turn, but you decided not to. Then you tailgated him and blared your horn, and pulled up next to him.

You tried to make eye contact with him but he avoided the gaze of the man who sped up on him, tailgated him, and blared his horn at him. So you took his picture.

And he was the bad guy, right?

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
So you were speeding down a suburban street and had the option to move left a lane

Left line was full of cars. I had right-of-way in the intersection. He crossed in my path almost causing an accident. He brake checked me to the point I almost collided.

And I'm the bad guy?

Wow, I'm wasting my time here.

Don't get me wrong.. I love technology. But the lack of privacy due to smart phones is ridiculous.

Left line was full of cars. I had right-of-way in the intersection. He crossed in my path almost causing an accident. He brake checked me to the point I almost collided.

And I'm the bad guy?

Umm, you were speeding.

He made the turn on whatever time frame seemed right to him. He may have mental or physical disabilities. At the least, his judgement was different from yours. Your failure to understand this, and to think that he did it to torque you off, is your disability.

Last edited:
All you people saying the OP is in the wrong are a bunch of morons. The guy clearly cut him off, no signal or warning.
You all sounds like a bunch of Harvard grad liberal whackjobs.

Another example...By your logic.... Teenager rear ends you because they are texting, but you idiots come to the conclusion that it's not the teenagers fault because one of your brake lights happen to be out...
oh and by the way it's broad daylight.

What a crock.

People are suggesting he played a role in creating the situation.

Pulling out in front of someone is dangerous and against the law, as is going >20% above the speed limit; one can never tell what might happen (in both cases)

I see hot headed responses aren't the purview of just the OP.

Last edited:
Worrying about right vs. wrong or who's at fault is of little concern if you end up injured or dead. Brybo86, if I follow your logic, I would proceed through a green light even if I saw a person approaching and running a red light because I have the right of way. That's as incorrect as your comment.

An excellent driver is a defensive driver. Speeding up to "beat the light" is the first mistake the OP did. NOT reacting to a questionable vehicle is the second mistake the OP made. The correct action would have been to slow down and prepare for the questionable vehicle to make a questionable move. That means one plans ahead by "clearing the intersection": look for other vehicles and plan an evasive route.

The third mistake was to pursue the questionable vehicle, putting oneself even more into harms way.

And brake checking?? It's not a problem if you are following the law and maintaining a safe distance between the car in front of you. Do you not see the fallacy of this statement: "I had to brake hard. I blasted him with my horn, so the person decided to brake check me. Had to brake hard again. "?

In this case, both drivers made mistakes and the OP should be grateful that the outcome was not much worse. Chock it up to a great learning experience and opportunity to tweak his driving skills.

I think it's called Facebook or something.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Worrying about right vs. wrong or who's at fault is of little concern if you end up injured or dead. Brybo86, if I follow your logic, I would proceed through a green light even if I saw a person approaching and running a red light because I have the right of way. That's as incorrect as your comment.

An excellent driver is a defensive driver. Speeding up to "beat the light" is the first mistake the OP did. NOT reacting to a questionable vehicle is the second mistake the OP made. The correct action would have been to slow down and prepare for the questionable vehicle to make a questionable move. That means one plans ahead by "clearing the intersection": look for other vehicles and plan an evasive route.

The third mistake was to pursue the questionable vehicle, putting oneself even more into harms way.

And brake checking?? It's not a problem if you are following the law and maintaining a safe distance between the car in front of you.

In this case, both drivers made mistakes and the OP should be grateful that the outcome was not much worse. Chock it up to a great learning experience and opportunity to tweak his driving skills.

Well said. I don't think anybody disagrees with the OP's frustration, I'd be frustrated too if somebody turned in front of me. It's happened enough to me even when I'm not speeding that when I see somebody ready to make a turn, I figure a good chance that they will turn in front even if I have the green light and I'll even cover (not apply) the brake in case they do.

No doubt, the other driver was at fault for failing to yield, and for brake checking. To the OP, there's an old saying, "It takes two to tango". Speeding, honking, making eye contact, and taking the other guy's picture? All of that just contributes to an already bad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back