had a close call last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Check out this road rage incident that could have gotten very bad for the poster. Reminds us to be polite on the roads, never know when you will run into a crazy person.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/carr...er-weekend.html

This is why I like to take a picture of a plate and a driver when I can. If something bad happens, there is some documentation.

I had an incident several months ago when someone was crawling and blocking the traffic. I passed the person on the left side (residential area, no lines) and that apparently upset the driver as he proceeded to chase me, blast his horn, flash his lights, and flip a bird. I took a picture of the driver at the next stop. It was an older, retired guy. He even didn't look crazy. That sobered him. We we driving in the same direction for a while and then he pulled into cardiology clinic parking lot. Clearly personality type A to put it mildly.

Is it just me, or is there more stupid and agressive driving today than was the case twenty years ago?
I think it's pretty obvious that the guy who pulled out in front of you at the last possible second, causing you to have to brake hard, did so intentionally.
I see drivers my own age pulling kid-stuff nonsense on the road every day.
I don't know what the cause might be, but we seem to have many drivers who act out their sense of personal inadequacy behind the wheel everywhere.
This type of behavior is irritating to the rest of us, who really enjoy driving and are simply trying to pass from one place to another without being challenged or endangered by some fool acting out an adolescent fantasy of empowerment or the weak man's resort of passive agression.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Well, I thought about it some more. I made a few mistakes. When I realized that the light might change anytime soon, I should have slowed down and even better stop and prepare for that to eventually change to yellow.

Same with the scene of that driver who was not turning right while he could. I should have stopped and waive him in.

And most importantly, I should not have used my horn. This was not politically correct, as it could have hurt his feelings. As a matter of fact I (...gasp!) did hurt his feelings, as he did brake check me. I should be very grateful that he provided that feedback to me. Maybe I'll remember next time.

And at the next red light, I should not have pulled next to him at all. I should have stayed behind at least 2 car lengths, so he would not be upset at all.

Lessons learned, LOL!

You have to forgive me, I was brought up in a country where political correctness was not a priority. I know, a terrible experience.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Perfect.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
fdcg27,

How old are you ?

Old enough to have legally driven a '73 big block Caprice as a new car.
Yep, the 454 was an available option and we had one.

I agree the old guy was way out of line by pulling out in front of you. I share your frustration, especially when there is no one behind me.

But... I'm not sure he braked checked you. I think you scared the poop out of the old fellow! It is not uncommon for people (of all ages) to hit the brakes when they are startled.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is it just me, or is there more stupid and agressive driving today than was the case twenty years ago?
I think it's pretty obvious that the guy who pulled out in front of you at the last possible second, causing you to have to brake hard, did so intentionally.
I see drivers my own age pulling kid-stuff nonsense on the road every day.
I don't know what the cause might be, but we seem to have many drivers who act out their sense of personal inadequacy behind the wheel everywhere.
This type of behavior is irritating to the rest of us, who really enjoy driving and are simply trying to pass from one place to another without being challenged or endangered by some fool acting out an adolescent fantasy of empowerment or the weak man's resort of passive agression.

+1.

However twenty years ago, there was not the proliferation of cell phones that there is now and there was no such thing as texting. In addition, personal responsibility at that time had not gone the way of the dinosaur.

At least that is my current theory after about getting wiped out this weekend by a guy that did a rolling stop out in front of me this weekend in a 45 MPH zone. Saw nothing but his profile and cell phone. Did not even pretend to look before entering the roadway.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I was coming back from work on a 2 lane suburban road. I was approaching an intersection with a green light that was there for a while. So, I accelerated not no miss is (about 50 in 40 mph zone). At the same time I noticed a blue car sitting there waiting to make a right turn. I was thinking why the person waits there as there was plenty of time to make that turn. I was on the intersection already when that person made up his mind and turned in my path. I had to brake hard. I blasted him with my horn, so the person decided to brake check me. Had to brake hard again. Fortunately, no one followed me.

I changed the line and caught up with the person at the next red light. I expected a crazy teenager. No, it was old fat man with a look of mental disease. Of course he avoided my look. I took his picture with my phone.

Is the a website where you post pictures of road rage drivers?

And by responding in the childish way you did, you demonstrated that your driving skills and self control are as poor as the person who initially pulled out. Congratulations on demonstrating your lack of maturity behind the wheel.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Political Correctness in many forms is bunch of bull pucky. Road Idiots need correction. Especially those guys/gals who block a pass by speeding up. Noo need to apologize (though even I wouldn't have taken the guys photo though
smile.gif
I don't have a camera phone
smile.gif

Things like that happen on the road. How you deal with them speaks volumes about your character and level of maturity. You can have a hissy fit and pretend that you're actually correcting another driver's habits (which anyone with a room temperature IQ or above knows you are not doing), or you can choose to act like a mature adult, ignore it, and go on about your business. The choice is yours.

Some years back it occurred to me that there were drivers on the road that are too stupid to drive a car, yet they have drivers licenses anyway. Others are insane, some are on Drugs, some are sick (mentally or just ill and a little out of it)
Some are reasonable people just having a really bad day, some are undergoing some sort of crisis.
Some (for all I know) are Taliban and just want to take out an infidel.
The thing is, we share the road with all these people, like it or not. At the time of impact, its bad news for everybody no matter who's right or wrong.
I drive NOT to the extent of MY limitations, but to account for the limitations of the morons that I share the road with.

37 years accident free.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
So shame on you for not planning for the inconsistent morons around you.
smile.gif

A little back ground. I'm a former motorcycle safety instructor, and I've worked in the safety department of a large trucking company. I've had lengthy conversations with motorcyclist that have been riding for over 20 accident free years. I've spoke with truck drivers that have up to 3 million accident free miles. Ive had way too many conversations with operator of trucks, cars and motorcycles that have had too many accidents. The biggest difference is attitude.

Every safe operator has told me the same thing. They assume every person around them is a moron, and will do something stupid. They anticipate the other drivers mistakes, and have a plan of action before it happens. You never hear a safe operator say "there was nothing I could do". They never compromise safety. They all said they were the only ones responsible for their safety. No one else is looking out for them.

The unsafe operators always blamed the other guy. never took responsibility for their actions. They would put convenience or time in front of safety, and then act shocked when an accident happens. Often times, they would say "there was nothing I could do". There's always something you can do. The problem is when a driver drives beyond the point of doing something. That's when accidents happen.

I want to make it home safely every day, and I do plan for the inconsistent morons around me. I expect every driver on the road to do something stupid, and I'm happy when they don't. At the end of the day, I'm the only person responsible for my actions of the day.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
My son in law trained as a UPS driver and they instill extreme defensive driving skills to the point that if you get hit by someone that runs a stop sign, it is your fault in the eyes of the UPS company (not "clearing the intersection"). This is only a slight exaggeration.

It's not an exageration at all. Commercial motor vehicle operators are held to a different standard. They can be in an accident where the other driver is cited, and still be charged with a preventable accident.

I live in a part of Florida where it's mostly retired folks. Their reaction time is slower, their vision is poor, they are afraid. Consequently, the roads in these parts are dangerous, so I drive accordingly. I'm constantly on the alert for some sweet little old lady to pull out in front of me in the biggest car General Motors ever made and accelerate to a steady 30 MPH.

I've had a couple of close calls, but thankfully, no dented metal or bruised bodies in the process.

I look at driving as a community experience. We're all trying to get from point A to point B. Why not work together? Therefore, I try to make the driving experience as helpful to others and as safe for me and whoever is with me as possible. It just makes life so much easier.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Check out this road rage incident that could have gotten very bad for the poster. Reminds us to be polite on the roads, never know when you will run into a crazy person.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/carr...er-weekend.html

Interesting read. I've often wondered, we really have no rites of passage in our society today. Generations ago, to prove manhood, the boy went out and killed the lion, wolf, bear, etc. If you survived, you were counted as a man in the village/tribal gathering, if you didn't survive, you weren't a burden to the community.

I think to a certain degree, we still have this within us. It's the desire to "prove" ourselves, (granted, in a very silly and selfish way). Yet even so, driving a vehicle has become for our society a rite of passage. Along with that rite of passage comes the desire to "guard" our turf and declare to those around us that our hunter/gatherer blood still runs strong.

Yes, years ago, I "owned" the road. Woe to the individual who incurred my wrath behind the wheel. Then, one day, it occurred to me that my vehicle had become an extension of my own personal power. It was like "motor muscle." I started asking myself why I was doing the things I was doing. Why did I drive in such an aggressive, angry manner.

Some personal reflection time and some honest self examination revealed that basically, I was insecure in myself. Why was I insecure? Because I had low self esteem. Long story short, I worked on building my own self esteem. When I became self actualized and self aware, I became, not only a better, happier person, but a much better driver.

In all humility and with no judgment whatsoever, I share this only in an effort to encourage others to examine the reasons for what they do on the road, how they drive and how they think of other drivers, (for example, why call others "morons"?). I would say that heading out onto the open highway with the mindset of meeting "morons" already sets the stage for aggressive encounters as you've already placed them on a level lower than yourself.

I dare say that the world would be a much better place if we all took the time to realize we're all trying to get home to friends and family and people who love us, and some make mistakes along the way. They need our help, not our hatred.

In many areas we have too much population/traffic for the amount of available pavement and a bad mix of poor drivers on those crowded roadways. The Twin Cities has a growing population of foreign born folks and they're first driving experience is here and it's amazing how many even became licensed=the 'driving is a privilage, not a right' regularly being ignored. When I got my motorcycle endorsement in 1969, the 'word' was to always have an 'escape path'. That's often filled with other traffic now and not available=I just won't ride in those environments anymore. I would think that those totally accident free drivers have a fair amount of luck working for them too!

There are a lot moronic responses by some here.
`
A recent article about Prius owners a few days ago, said something about the "stigma" of driving a Prius.

One owner interviewed said that no matter how fast he drives he is constantly tailgated. That's probably what happened with the OP. Harassment.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

One owner interviewed said that no matter how fast he drives he is constantly tailgated. That's probably what happened with the OP. Harassment.

No matter how fast I drive I get tailgated too!!! Although I near speed limit or slightly above (75MPH in 65MPH example). And I drive a MDX and Subaru Legacy GT wagon. Likely the owner in the interview feels something special about owning a Prius when in reality its a very common normal economical/comfortable but boring car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back