Hacked Mac Report: Falsified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now before we get into some big Mac vs. PC argument, the reason I post this is not to start the flames (again) it's to show that the Mac is often an unfair target of B-S to make defenders of Windows feel somehow superior.
If the Mac is indeed a security risk, it should be easy to hack it just like a Windows-running PC, right?

Please read the this line of the article:

"Now let's make one thing clear: we at TUAW aren't advocates of the 'Macs are flawless! Long live the prefection that is Apple!' philosophy that naysayers of this experiment are coming under fire for. We are, however, advocates of finding true vulnerabilities on the quest to make the Mac even more solid and secure..."

Mac hack: false

Scott

quote:

the reason I post this is not to start the flames

quote:

to make defenders of Windows feel somehow superior.

-

how many of your mac v.s pc threads have been shut down or deleted, guy?

give it a rest, for real. There are plenty of mac v.s pc forums out there to satisfy your need to defend the mac.

None of this is condusive to the health of this site, it's disrespectful and borders on trolling.

Mac OS X security myth exposed

quote:

None of this is condusive to the health of this site, it's disrespectful and borders on trolling.

From my past experiences, I conclude that being a Mac user makes one a troll by default. Whenever I ask a question about Mac, or if I mention I use a Mac, nine out of ten times someone will attack me for using a Mac. That obviously makes ME a troll.

I'm glad ScottB posted that link, because I hadn't followed up on the wireless iBook hack drama.

quote:

Originally posted by Distiller:

quote:

the reason I post this is not to start the flames

quote:

to make defenders of Windows feel somehow superior.

-

how many of your mac v.s pc threads have been shut down or deleted, guy?

give it a rest, for real. There are plenty of mac v.s pc forums out there to satisfy your need to defend the mac.

Mac OS X security myth exposed

No need to give it a rest. You are new here I see, so no need to give out advice until you get a clue.
Secondly, it was totally based on nothing but reporting what had happened - it was bogus, and for those that love to bag on the Mac and Mac users, it was something I enjoyed posting.
Now, for your security myth bunk - after those little bits of humor were posted, a couple of universities put some OS X Macs online and offered a reward to those that could hack into them.
Last I heard, the money's still there.
Fact is, Windows IS less secure than *NIX of any flavor - you can delude yourself all you like, but don't tell ME how/what to post.

Scott

who cares who or whats the best. each has its limitations. I use a PC because its what I use and game on. does this mean I say PC is better? no it doesnt just what I prefer. I would get a mac if I could afford one and if I did grapgic design and so on. but I dont so I dont need all that power that it could give.

but I have see where mac guys seem to have ***** envy because more people owns PC's. it will change over time.

maybe macs have been safe for so long is because windows is so flawed that they dont have to break a sweat. after all do you break in to a house with the latest security system or the house next to it with the open door? just as long as my firewall and spyware and anti- virus program catches everything I dont care.

all care about is playing BF2 and I cant do that on a mac.

Hey, we Mac users just (usually) try to be one more computer user, but it's the PC guys - as was mentioned above - that seem to have the envy and need to name-call.
I have both at work.
Always have.
I think the Mac is better, but I only maybe recommend one to about 50% of the people I talk to (although that HAS changed since Intel) because not everyone is best-suited for a Mac.
I don't know or care how many people use Macs - it's what I'd use if I were the only one, but I'm not.

Both have their place - agreed.
It just gets tiring having to always defend using one around some PC-buttpods.
But don't get me wrong - I know darn well there are Mac users that think Steve's *** doesn't stink.
Not me.

Scott

Thanks for posting that article. I saw the article today on Slashdot, but didn't read it.

I'm amazed, in this information age, how's there so much more misinformation than true information ABOUT information. ScottB's exhibit A is more proof of that.

LOL

Once I can get MPlayer to play Windows Media Streams, I'll be using Linux a lot more. I'm 'seeing the light' with Linux as Suse 10.1 really is quite easy to use.

TNS, I'm sure you've run into the dreaded "mplayer won't compile using GCC4" problem. There is a site
"somewhere" on the internet where you can redirect your YAST repositories and install a precompiled version.

This is one of the reasons I have jettisoned Suse in favor of Ubuntu.

I used pakman's repository. It installed fine. What happens is that it says it's buffering, then stops. This happens on any Windows-based internet feed. XM failed every time.

The other thing is that Crossover Office is installed. WMP 7.1 with the WMP9 codecs are installed. Thus, making this more complex than I can deal with. LOL I had SuSE 9.1 with Crossover working on an older Dell laptop working A-OK with Windows media feeds using WMP 7.1 some time ago. I figured installing Crossover on Suse 10.1 would be the way to go. Obviously not
frown.gif

All this tech talk makes me hot, sweaty and bothered. Must be fear, because I have no idea what on Earth you guys are talking about! Ignorance is bliss.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
All this tech talk makes me hot, sweaty and bothered. Must be fear, because I have no idea what on Earth you guys are talking about! Ignorance is bliss.
grin.gif

LOL!

If you ever venture to the Terminal application on your Mac, whatever you do, DON'T do this:
sudo rm -R /

wink.gif

Ultimately all operating systems will be under great threat on the internet. The blackhats that come up with all of the viruses, Trojan Horse programs, worms, exploits, rootkits, etx., may ultimately bring down the internet. Of the internet will change and will be highly regulated. When that day comes I hope these blackhats are very happy that they have destroyed the internet or changed the internet to a highly regulated and highly contolled system.

People are already talking about separate internets that would be exclusive and highly regulated and not everybody would be allowed on these new internets. It would all be highly licensed and controlled and exclusive. The days of the free internet would come to a close. Thanks a bunch, blackhats! Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back