Habits you've changed since finding Bitog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure most people here have changed a thing or two about the way they maintain their cars after reading information found on this site. I'm just bored and curious to see what habits people have changed.

Myself, before finding this site I would run synthetic for 3000 miles and usually with a fram filter. Going over 3000 miles wouldn't sit well with me, and I would think that my oil was spent and HAD to be changed. Advertising was a big part of my purchases.

I also remember when i first bought my current vehicle, I didn't drive it much at first. I probably put on 2,500mi over the course of the first 7 months. So i called Honda, and asked them if they thought i should change the oil out. Needless to say, they said yes i need to change it asap. I figured these guys know what theyre talking about, so i went ahead and changed it out.

I'm sure i'll think of more old habits that i've broken, but that's a good start for now.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:

I also remember when i first bought my current vehicle, I didn't drive it much at first. I probably put on 2,500mi over the course of the first 7 months. So i called Honda, and asked them if they thought i should change the oil out. Needless to say, they said yes i need to change it asap. I figured these guys know what theyre talking about, so i went ahead and changed it out.

I'm sure i'll think of more old habits that i've broken, but that's a good start for now.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Interesting since Honda states use the OLM or 1 year in their manuals.

They tell you to change it ASAP..
rolleyes.gif

Wonder whats up with that?

Back to orginal question. I have not changed anything since I came upon BITOG other than started doing UOAs.

Everything has been working for me for many many years and outfits for many miles, why change?
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Well, candles worked fine for us back in the old days, so why do we need electricity?
wink.gif
lol.gif

Prior to the intro of the OLM, Honda recommended that one wait until the first scheduled oil change interval before changing the factory fill. This could be 6-mo or 5K under severe service, or 1-yr or 10K under normal service. Evidently, the OP had exceed the time limit, hence the need to do an oil change.

As for me, I made sure that my father no longer ran 7500-10K between dino oil changes on the Saturn.

I broke the synthetic habit. I was a loyal M1 user for many years, but the SL and SM dinos perform better in my UOA tests.

I also go much longer intervals--more than twice as long as before. This site got me interested in oil analysis, and oil analysis has given me the confidence to follow (what I thought was questionable) advice from Honda.

Getting more done around the house. Ask my wife. She will tell you I waste entirely too much time on the computer.

Mostly I feel better about what I was doing before I came here, ST, Pennzoil 5W-30 dino, and 3 month OCI. With recent price changes, I am weakening on the dino and 3 month OCI. I really struggle with a longer OCI after having a bad sludge problem in the early 90's with 6 month ones. With my wife's current job, the Cavalier sees about 6-7 K in a quarter. 12K+ seems a little long with out an UOA, and there goes any savings on less frequent oil changes.

I am using anti seize on wheel studs now in place of oil and torqueing to 80% of spec. More likely to use antisieze elsewhere too.

Life was simpler when I could go to Wal-Mart and pick up a case of Pennzoil and 2 Delco filters for $18.

I'm with Labman, I spend half as much time under the car but probalby 10 times as much time on the computer learning new stuff on BITOG.

Just as well, I learn more on BITOG than I do under a car.

I've learned Terry Dyson is a swell guy and I am now addicted to oil analysis.

I've learned that I thought I knew a lot about oil. Now I know more, but the people on BITOG are really helpful at keeping my ego in check
tongue.gif

I've learned that I have a loving wife that tolerates my new found addiction and tries really hard to be interested, but is bored to death with my whole "oil kick". She has learned not to ask the question; "what are you thinking about?" because she knows the answer is probably oil related.
grin.gif

What habits have I changed? I dunno
confused.gif

..but I've seemed to have picked up a few more..

Checking oil much more frequently
"Concern" for other people's oil status
Wanting to go to WM to see what's on the sale shelf
Wanting to go to WM to see where the current prices are set at.
Getting into lubrication discussions with hotrod types that don't give it much of a second thought and figure that they have it all covered
Anxiously anticpating UOA results
Anxiously wanting mileage to accumulate faster so that I can do a UOA
Sampling different oils and filters ..much like one might different wines (no, I don't drink them)
Anxiety over the projected time line that it will take for me to present my experience in doing something "odd" to the forum.
Keeping bottles of oil on an "oil shrine".
Keeping bottles of oil and oil filters near my computer (add oil coolers and various filterheads and related ancillary items).
Trying to figure more ways to install more devices on my vehicles without them looking too weird.
Feeling lack of a purpose when the board is less active.

There's more ...
dunno.gif

Used to use fram filters and actually thought they were good filters for the money.... Thinking of going to rotella synthetic on my dodge cummins and extending my changes from 5k to 8k.

Longer oil change intervals - 3,000 to 5,000 on dino.
Using and enjoying 15W40 - something I would have never done before I discovered Bitog.
Pre Bitog thought Fram was one of the best filters and used them on everything I owned.
And you guys are going to laugh at this one - Since I discovered Bitog, I started pouring my used oil in my old beater van rather than using nice, clean, new oil to top off.

Was a biased synthetic only Mobil-I man for gassers and Delvac-I for diesels, even though the high cost of both would pinch me bad, still I prefer M-I for gas engines but for diesels, the wonderful UOA of Delo 400 and Delvac Super has me using them for good, thanks to BITOG.

Hmm, been here since 2002, so I have to think back. I tried HM oils when they came out, thought they were too thick and "gooey". I already blended myself for low 40/high 30 visc. I was into semis, have an empty case of DuraBlend 10w-40 w/ A3 rating on the attic. Now, I think I go farther on ocis, but did some thinking and came to the conclusion that TIME intervals are best. I won't consider Frams, except the occasional TG. I would have to say, that 15w-40s have been the one thing I took away from BitOG. Habit-wise, as in compulsion...shopping for oil deals is one "bad" habit.
wink.gif

I appoint myself as "oil savior" at Walmart when near the hailed wall of oil.

Had to make lotsa space for the oil stash.

The 3K habit has been broken.

I eat more fruits and vegetables
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back