Habits you've changed since finding Bitog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Habits that I changed.....well I use to scratch, oh never mind. I now change my oil at 5K on my Nissan and use Trop Artic with a Purolater or OEM and also change the oil on my Honda Odyssey twice a year and use Kendall and use a Purolater. But most of all I chucked the Fram habit.
cheers.gif

Longer OCI's. Heading for 10K KM (6K miles) OCI on the Accord plus the same with turbo volvo on an XD-3 synthetic blend.

Which brings the 2nd change ... got me excited and interested in Canada's gift to inexpensive synthetic: XD-3 0w30.

1.) Synthetic Oil (Esso XD3 0w30)
2.) Auto-RX
3.) finding out about Fram oil filters
4.) Finding out which additives were snake oil.

And last but not least, knowing which is a Group 3 synthetic and what is the real deal.

Now I spend an hour standing around and arguing with myself at the Wal-Mart oil aisle over what oils and filters to buy. I used to just walk up, grab the 5L jug of M1 10w30 and walk away, but now I look at brands I used to sneeze at. AND I open up oil filter boxes to look inside the filters. I feel like a freak.

At least I don't stash oil. Oil standards change semi-annually, so I wouldn't want to get caught with obsolete oil in large quantities... seems like a big waste of money to me

I'm the opposite. I purposely go out and buy obsolete oils. I find the leftover quarts of SJ stuffed at the back of shelves and liberate them so folks with new vehicles don't unknowingly put something below spec in.
dunno.gif

Pre-BITOG, I would spend about 5 minutes twice a year thinking about oil. Into Canadian Tire, Motomaster filter, Motomaster oil, out the door. Once I even stocked up with three jugs/filters so I didn't... have... to... go... back!
freak2.gif
Now I check out the deals every week and agonize over which oil to go for. Though I'm pretty firmly on the side of "whatever's cheapest, they're all good". My OCI is still the same though, 6000 miles give or take.

Used to use cheapest dino oil and filters (Supertech) with 3K OCI's. Now I still use Supertech dino (the Exxon/Mobil version)and still change it at 3K but I now use Wix/NAPA Gold oil filters and change them every 4th oil change (12,000 miles). If Honda is comfortable with 20,000 miles on an oil filter (they recommend 10K OCI's with a filter change every other time)

Changes? Oui, oui, monsieur . . .

I no longer think QS, Pennzoil, Valvoline, and Mobil are the only brands worth considering. All these years I've been ignoring Chevron, Havoline, TropArtic, and Exxon Superflo!

I've tried mixing different grades of oil to get (I hope) the benefits of each. If there's no gain, hey, it's fun.

While I'm not a stasher, I stock up at least one oil change in advance in an attempt to beat some of the next price increase.

I'm pushing my OCI further out from the traditional 3K miles/3 months, and balancing the cost of a synthetic change 1 to 2x a year vs. dino 2 to 3x a year. They'd come out about the same, since (thanks to BITOG) I spend less on each dino quart while still getting the same or better value.

-- Paul W.

The most I got out of this site was what GC was and it's use.I would not of ever used any 0wXX before I found BITOG. My former BMW loved this stuff.
I also use Supertech filters on my commuter car and have had really good luck with them.

I actually run SHORTER OCI's after stopping my blind-faith usage of Amsoil 0w30. I'm down to 10k changes now on M1, and using Wix filters and the "correct" grade of oil, 20w. I used to think Fram was the best because of the black grip at the ends!
I also may try PP soon in the CR-V.

I put filters everywhere now. You would be amazed how much stuff you find in a new auto transmission filter or coolant filter.It has got to help.

I learned:

- how to completely exchange transmission fluid.

- not to change the trans filter every time.

- how to exchange ps fluid.

- the importance of brake fluid maintenance.

- which oil filters to buy.

Started an oil stash. Never lived in a place where i could do my own changes, so I never used to have more than a litre of oil around for top-ups. If I needed it, I bought it and put it in. Now I watch for sales, and have about 15 litres of cheap dino in my closet to take to a shop to change for me.....my wife truely thinks I'm nuts!

BITOG is a great place for information....

I learned ;

1.) Dino oil is just fine for my applications.
2.) Which oil filters not to use.
3.) Lab samples are a good idea to check oil once in a while.
4.) Snake oils
5.) GM's OLM is really a good idea
6.) Armed with facts, some will choose to ignore them and stay with tradition ...i.e. 3K OCI
7.) Some have alot of money to spend on wiz bang gimicks, snake oils etc.
8.) Alot of really GOOD solid information , links and experts to ask on lubrication topics.
9.) Camps of thought...Arx, Acetone, MMO, Lucas ...etc...good for information.
10.) Discovered new ways to look at points of view and know that I don't know what I thought I knew...

I've broken the 3K oil change. It was hard, but after reading and learning here, it made the transition a lot easier, without a doubt. Using synthetics in everything that has an exhaust system. Know which filters not to use and learned surprisedly that ST filters are actually pretty good. Acetone will NOT increase fuel mileage.

I've stopped changing oil at 3k and rely on the OLM in my GM vehicles. I've started changing PS fluid and change my trans and radiator fluid more often. I don't use Fram anymore and have switched to an oversize filter. I now use a Top Tier brand gas (Shell) and don't use gas additives (having a Shell credit card that gives 5% back helps). I tried GC for a while, but switched back to M1 for availability and price sake. I'm also open to other synthetics for the right price and have found that Advance Auto has some killer deals.

1. ARX everything to clean, then add it in maintenance doses.
2. Gumout Regane or Chevron Techron semi-annually.
3. Admire my huge stash of GC, but never actually use it in anything.
4. Making it beyond 3,000 miles without changing oil, and not going out of my mind.
5. Have oil analysis performed on all my vehicles.
6. Never try a new oil filter without cutting one open first.
cool.gif

7. MMO in the fuel in MASSIVE doses just to fumigate those who follow too closely in a white cloud.
lol.gif

8. Don't do anything without finding out what Gary Allan thinks about it first.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back