H&K SL-8, Not the average Canadian Tire Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a nice gun I saw at the Canadian Tire in South Calgary today.

This isn't average firearm for a store in canada that sells mainly auto and home supplies. It is a rare canadian tire that sells guns at all, let alone one that is very closely based on an assault rifle.

In my own opinion, this is a beatiful gun. Heckler & Koch SL-8 chambered in .223 Rem. This is a semi-auto version of the H&K G36 which has been the main infantry weapon of the German Bundeswehr since 1995. One of its most attractive attributes is that this rifle is able to fire tens of thousands of rounds without cleaning or stoppages. Most of the rifle's receiver is constructed of carbon fiber–reinforced polymer. It was the first production rifle to use such material for the receiver. The weapon can be stripped and re-assembled without tools through a system of cross-pins similar to that used on earlier HK designs.

I held this rifle today, and noted a very lightweight feel, weighing in at 7.6 lbs empty.

The picture below was the only one I could find on the net that wasn't caught by my company's filter. The one I was looking at was all black (and looked better that way), and a very nice rifle. Below is a random picture I found:

HKSL-8.jpg

It was going for $2,250 Canadian.

$2250 for what amounts to a .22? Good looks are important, but not worth that kind of money (although that is a #@$%! sexy long arm).

No thanks. Ill stick with my AKs.

Very neat rifle. I like it. I am also completely shocked by the fact that Communist Tire is carrying it for sale...! Wow.

John.

Quote:

Quote:

that this rifle is able to fire tens of thousands of rounds without cleaning or stoppages.

#@$%!? Documentation please. All guns need to be cleaned.

Evnetually, yes. Many well designed guns can go thousands upon thousands of rounds without cleaning.

If it had a black stock then it is probably one of the new SL8's that HK just started making again.

The rifle has the roller lock bolt 'I am not sure of the proper name but the rifle doesn't use the usual type of gas system,so the action stays way cleaner than a Ar15/16 which gets dirty quick.The AK47 type stays real clean also compared to the Ar15/16. I "years ago shot the 308 rifle with the roller lock and the recoil was like a bolt action where as the M1a "M14style" recoil was almost none in comparison. I still like the HK G36 you lucky guy.

Quote:

Quote:

that this rifle is able to fire tens of thousands of rounds without cleaning or stoppages.

#@$%!? Documentation please. All guns need to be cleaned.

H&K has stated the G36K has during testing been fired without jamming over 25,000 times in a row without cleaning. That's all. I'm sure you can email and ask them for documentation.

Ask H&K

Can not get it in California. The law reads that weapons with a "dangerous pistol grip" and that "look like an assault weapon", can not be bought or sold here. If you come onto my property and get by three angry dogs you will run up against a Winchester 94 chambered for a 30-30. Our legislature deems my gun as not dangerous. If it's pointed at you some dark night, you might think otherwise. But at least in California you can expect that a homeowner will shoot you with a "non-dangerous" gun.

And by the way, "must not" should not be confused with "cannot," because, clearly, any legal or illegal weapon is available in CA.

Anyway, the G36 is for sissies. The H&K XM-29 adds a bigger set and many more inches.
wink.gif

Quote:

Can not get it in California. The law reads that weapons with a "dangerous pistol grip" and that "look like an assault weapon", can not be bought or sold here. If you come onto my property and get by three angry dogs you will run up against a Winchester 94 chambered for a 30-30. Our legislature deems my gun as not dangerous. If it's pointed at you some dark night, you might think otherwise. But at least in California you can expect that a homeowner will shoot you with a "non-dangerous" gun.

grin.gif
shot you with a non dangerous gun

Quote:

Quote:

$2250 for what amounts to a .22?

Yes a .22 that is very powerful and in use currently by the US Millitary as well as dozens of other nations.

I think "very powerful" is an exageration as it is one of the least powerful rifle cartridges made.

Militaries make a lot of mistakes in their weapons choices, especially ours
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back