GY Ultra Grip GW-3 or Firestone Winterforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get them studded? unstudded winterforce are just about dead last for ice traction among winter tires.

They are great in deep snow, very poor rolling resistance, loud and uncomfortable.

I hope you like them, then again if you don't just sell them next spring and move on to the next set.

Last edited:
Not sure where BG is, but I tend to think we have more issues with slush and deep snow. Some hard packed snow, on the roads from traffic; but that lasts only as long as the storm. Bare pavement shows up pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Did you get them studded? unstudded winterforce are just about dead last for ice traction among winter tires.

They are great in deep snow, very poor rolling resistance, loud and uncomfortable.

I hope you like them, then again if you don't just sell them next spring and move on to the next set.

I did not get them studded.....I hear what you are saying about them....I guess I'll find out lol. Just seems to be too many people giving them a thumbs up on the Rack and Charger/Challenger forums to not give them a shot.

Supton- I'm in the Nashua area and commute down Rt 3 into MA everyday. I'm on the road usually by 445 in the morning...ie before NH plows get cranking lol. Yes I agree we seem to deal more with snow and slush vs ice. Sections of 3 can still be snow covered...especially north of Exit 7 that early in the morning.

Hopefully with mostly highway miles these maybe will last a couple of seasons

You'll still likely be sliding the rear around, I know I do.

Make sure you let us know how they work for you. I think you went the right way, not terribly impressed with the iG51v myself, probably my last "ice" tire.

Originally Posted By: cp3
You'll still likely be sliding the rear around, I know I do.

Make sure you let us know how they work for you. I think you went the right way, not terribly impressed with the iG51v myself, probably my last "ice" tire.

Yep I certainly will...I've dragged this on long enough with the questions so the least I can do is give an honest assessment.

Five 40 lb bags of kitty litter are going to go into the trunk as well. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow so hopefully I'll have them on by the weekend

Keep those bags for the kitty!

Believe me, it doesn't take much wheelspin or sliding
to activate the traction control / stability control on the Charger.

With no extra weight added to the trunk over winter,
and despite often trying to 'kick it out' around snowy corners
the backend never got loose on my 2011 (w/WinterForce).
If anything it's the lightweight front end that looses traction first.

All that extra weight might make for longer braking distances too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mlatour
Keep those bags for the kitty!

Believe me, it doesn't take much wheelspin or sliding
to activate the traction control / stability control on the Charger.

With no extra weight added to the trunk over winter,
and despite often trying to 'kick it out' around snowy corners
the backend never got loose on my 2011 (w/WinterForce).
If anything it's the lightweight front end that looses traction first.

All that extra weight might make for longer braking distances too.

Ok good to know...I'll save some $$ on the litter. Tires are going to be delivered today. If I can find the proper jack points I'll probaby install tomorrow. If not I may run down to a local shop and have them swap them over for me

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Town Fair will do it free.

Only if you got the tires there right? I mean I've bought from them and free rotations etc but not sure they'd put on wheels and tires I bought at Tire Rack.

I'm going to ask a local shop to do it. After reading about the lousy jack points of the 2nd Gen Chargers Im not going to risk bending all sorts of sheet metal

Never searched the subject but yes always had trouble finding the proper jacking locations, especialy for the rear.
The left/rear suspension seemed to 'stretch' so much before the tire finally got off the ground.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Town Fair will do it free.

Only if you got the tires there right? I mean I've bought from them and free rotations etc but not sure they'd put on wheels and tires I bought at Tire Rack.

I'm going to ask a local shop to do it. After reading about the lousy jack points of the 2nd Gen Chargers Im not going to risk bending all sorts of sheet metal

Nope...swapping mounted snows is free.

Well tires came in today, well packaged and look good. First time ordering from the Rack. 3 of the 4 tires dated 1814 and the other 1914. Heavy! 65 pounds each.

I know this sounds dumb but the tires look too big? 225/60 18's are supposed to fit......here they are next to the 245/45 20's that are on the car...

Anyone with a Charger or Challenger confirm these "should" fit lol

Jaraxle...I'm pretty sure that swapping the winter tires is a benefit if you purchase the tires from TFT...maybe I'm wrong...if so I'll look at them in the spring...having a local shop throw these on in the morning

They should fit, being an OE size!

And Town Fair will swap mounted snows free of charge, period, end of story.

I think the OE size is 235/55 18..

Ok, ok, ok!!! lol Thanks for the heads up
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

I think the OE size is 235/55 18..

Ok, ok, ok!!! lol Thanks for the heads up
smile.gif

My bad the 225/60 18 is standard for the Pursuit models in the last few years.

Yes I also ran 225/60-18 year round, all Firestone;
Winterforce as mentionned and Firehawk GT's in the summer,
All mounted on two sets of those black steel 18" police wheels.

Note that to mount the 'police' dog dish hubcaps you also need the proper lugnuts for that application.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and words, I had them put on this morning and yes, they fit fine.

What tire pressure did you run your winter tires at?

Also I thought these were oem knock offs, closer look seems to show that these are indeed true OEM wheels being sold by the Tire Rack at a fraction of what the dealer wants for these wheels. 107 apiece at the Rack

Yes, the special overpriced lug nuts are required...I do like the look and might go the same route as you as getting a second set of these rims for my warm weather setup. I'll probably dish out the $$ for the lugs and caps as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back