GY Ultra Grip GW-3 or Firestone Winterforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Both are ok tires but much better ones out there.
49.gif

Not in his size this late in the season, looking at TR's website.

Yoko iceGUARD iG51v is the only other tire TR lists.

OP - Just a thought have you called around locally to find out selection for snows? I know that isn't necessarily optimal regarding mounting cost but it might be worth looking.

Tire shops are probably going ape right now with the predicted snow storm. Probably won't answer the phone until after Thanksgiving!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Both are ok tires but much better ones out there.
49.gif

Not in his size this late in the season, looking at TR's website.

Yoko iceGUARD iG51v is the only other tire TR lists.

thats because his size isn't stock. If he went with the stock 18" size or a +0 there are more options

IIRC 17" are also an option for SE model

thats because his size isn't stock. If he went with the stock 18" size or a +0 there are more options

That's a good point. OP, why not just go with 235/55/18?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Yeah....Treadware and fuel efficiency play a part in my decision making...the tread on the GW3 doesn't look like it would kill mpg...did the GW2 have same pattern?

6-10 inches forecast for tomorrow...looks like I didn't get them in time

I think tire materials and contruction are more important for fuel economy, tread design is not so important. I think the GW2's had bigger tread blocks perhaps.

I have Michelin XIce XI3's on my Cruze and the fuel economy is very similar to the OEM GY Fuel Max tires. I like them so far, have had lots of slush, snow and ice already. No deep snow however. Try a local shop to see if you have better options? Or look at other sizes?

If you are sure you want to buy from Tire Rack, get the Goodyear's, that is my opinion with the limited selection.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's a good point. OP, why not just go with 235/55/18?

Speedometer is closer with the 225/60 18's. I'm running 245/45 20's now.

Not ruling the 235's out though. Little bit narrower tire better for the snow too?

I probably couldn't go wrong with either tire. Loks like the Winterforce will chew through deeper snow but the GW-3 better for slush and ice? If snow is too deep I guess the Charger would be plowing first anyways. Although Police Chargers seem to get through anything so..

Why not the yokohama IG-51v an actual modern wintertire.

Better ice and packed snow performance, better fuel economy, Less noise. The wear should be similar.

The IG-51V are quite near the class leaders in performance.

The increased MPG would easily cover any difference in tread life.

The winterfarce are pretty crude and loud and the ice performance is bottom of the barrel for unstudded vs other winter tires... even compared to other tires such as unstudded altimax arctics.

I would expect 10% less mpg with winterforce.

I don't know much about the Yokos.....I haven't heard too many reports on them.

All I know is I need something soon.....could barely go 3 feet this morning without rear end kicking out with the OEM Firehawks!

Parked it and got the Honda out on the road today.

NH seems to do a decent job clearing the snow...I think I'd be driving in a more slushy or packed down snow rather than a deep snow.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
At this point, I'd just get whatever you can!

I went from ~36 to ~31 with the Winterforce.

I think you are right...I'd hate to drop 5mpg but maybe it is what it is. Hope that factors in the usual winter gas drop.

I could buy local but wont get the rims I want and there goes any price match.

If this is my biggest issue going on I have a lot to be thankful for lol. I'm waiting to hear back from someone on the Charger forums about the Yoko IceGuard i51 and how they are

Winter tires on or not, winter fuel blends etc,

Cold weather mileage wasn't very good with my 3.6 Charger SE,
lost at least 3litres per 100km in both city/hw driving in sub freezing weather.

Always had best results using 91 octane/ethanol-free gas too for best fuel mileage numbers.
(Shell V-Power 91 and Ultramar 91 are ethanol-free in the Montreal region).

Last edited:
How long is the commute? Ironically my car always got best mpg in winter! I didn't let it warm up either, just start and go usually. But my gas truck did lose quite a bit, I think I even noticed the change to winter gas too.

If really concerned could get a block heater and a timer. Might help a bit.

Was a 30 miles highway drive to work.
Car was always parked in a non-heated but insulated garage at night.
At least 10 degrees warmer than outside temps at start-up.

Sold both my 2011 Charger and 2004 Ram 1500 pickup this fall,
decide to keep my fleet to only one 'do-it all' vehicle.

A 2014 F150 XL 3.7 now replaces both,
already getting 9-10litres per 100km highway on new engine
gas mileage not much worst than the Charger
but much much better than the 4.7 Ram ever got.

Last edited:
We ran a set of the FS Winterforces on the wifes trailblazer for a few years. Over all I was satisfied with them, we actually left them on year around because she drives her Mustang most of the time during the warmer months. Previous tires for comparison were BFG All terrain KO and the Firestones handled the snow and slush as well or better than the BFG's even though the BFG's have a bigger and more aggressive tread pattern. We live in the snow belt on the Lake (Erie) and her commute at the time was I-90 which runs parallel to the lake and can see heavy wet lake effect snow, so we definitely got some good use out of them. Thankfully now her commute is due south, and much easier for the most part than running along side the Lake.

Blizzaks are highly rated. When do you plan to take off? Last time I slid off the road was a freak April snow. 22 weeks at 500 miles per, 11,000 miles, I'm thinking two seasons if you don't drive aggressively?

I'm not sure how long they will last but that is my swag, based upon antidotal reading.

Yeah my commute is 98% highway so that should help a bit on whatever tire I decide on. I was thinking towards end of March for take off.

The report on the the Yoko Iceguards i51's was a little less than stellar. It was not a heavy snow...he said gaining traction was only a little better than the Firehawks which is by no means a great report. He did say stopping was 100% better though.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Commute 100 miles r/t

Any love for Blizzak DM-V1?

Blizzaks are known to be quite soft and don't last long tread wear wise.

I am on my 5th winter with the General Altimax Arctic (studded)...but I don't drive much...only average 6,000 miles (10,000 km) per year.

Dave

Well after all this I ended up going with the Winterforce with the Black Steel Police wheels from the Rack for 981 delivered.

I'll report back in a bit on what my findings are. I think I'm going to be burning through tires on an almost yearly basis so could not stomach shelling out big bucks on tires. They haven't gottem much love here but I do appreciate the insight. They really get a positive response on the Charger forums so I guess we'll see how they do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back