Gut-wrenching' last Chevrolet Cruze comes off the line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are opportunities out there. They may not be in Lordstown Ohio.

Sometimes you have to move , literally and figuratively.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Nicer way of looking at unemployment

https://www.epi.org/publication/missing-workers/

I always wondered how unemployment was tallied. I remember when I graduated and finally got my degree in 1980, there were absolutely no jobs to be had. Nobody asked me if I was employed or not so I didn't show up on anybody's radar.

The people laid off were collecting unemployment benefits, up to 80% of their salary. I didn't have a job to get laid off from, so I collected zero unemployment.

I basically didn't exist when it came to labor statistics.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by 4WD

I always wondered how unemployment was tallied. I remember when I graduated and finally got my degree in 1980, there were absolutely no jobs to be had. Nobody asked me if I was employed or not so I didn't show up on anybody's radar.

The people laid off were collecting unemployment benefits, up to 80% of their salary. I didn't have a job to get laid off from, so I collected zero unemployment.

The U6 number is typically consider the "real" unemployment rate because it includes people who are discouraged and those who can only work PT for economic reasons but want to work FT.

The U6 is 8 percent.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by 4WD

Kestas, we share a similar storyline. I got out of the military in 1980 and I had the same experience. Absolutely no jobs. Most places had signs up saying "No Hiring". "No Applications Taken"

For almost 18 months I looked. Then I finally got a job working the graveyard shift for minimum wage. I was thankful.

Nice table of numbers. But how do they gather those numbers? As I said, nobody ever asked me if I'm working or not... back then or ever.

I read about 400 workers will be transferred to other GM plants.
When GM and then Toyota left NUMMI in Fremont, CA, it was a big hit to the local community as Nummi was the biggest employer.
Good benefits and union pay went out the window.
Many local businesses suffered (restaurants, etc) suffered as well. The suppliers to NUMMI.

Tesla was planning to build a new plant in North San Jose, but Fremont offered incentives to use the huge NUMMI plant.
It was so much bigger than Tesla's need, buy they decided to use the automotive plant.
Turned out to be a win-win.

I wish the GM workers the best of luck in landing somewhere.
People gotta eat.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Being able to sell ones home is difficult in areas where the primary employer leaves because of the impact on supply (more people are selling) and demand (less people can afford to buy).

A good point few people think about when you have a massive plant closure like this. It's one thing if you lose your job because your department of 5 people is eliminated. All because they decided to downsize a company of 300 people to 295. It's quite another to kick 1,700 to the curb, and padlock the doors when the whistle blows at 5:00 PM on Friday.

What could possibly be worse than 1,700 people losing their jobs all in the same area? Those same 1,700 people trying to sell their homes so they can move to find another one..... Even if GM offers them one 500 miles away.

Originally Posted by pbm
A few weeks ago I saw a TV segment that talked about this (GM cutting production of certain models because of slow sales)…..it mentioned that GM CEO, Mary Barra, makes a lot more money than the CEO of Toyota....unbelievable....

Stop with the nonsense. The CEO works 24/7 and gets paid well for it plus she's always "on" when out in public. Do you know how much the 1700 laid off would get from if the CEO donated to them her yearly compensation? Answer: ~ $13k/each

I buy used cars for a local dealership. The only 2 cars I will bring in are the Mazda 3 and Corolla. Everything else is CUVs, smaller CUVs like Qashqai, and pickups.
The consumer has the ultimate say in what sells.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I read about 400 workers will be transferred to other GM plants.
When GM and then Toyota left NUMMI in Fremont, CA, it was a big hit to the local community as Nummi was the biggest employer.
Good benefits and union pay went out the window.
Many local businesses suffered (restaurants, etc) suffered as well. The suppliers to NUMMI.

Tesla was planning to build a new plant in North San Jose, but Fremont offered incentives to use the huge NUMMI plant.
It was so much bigger than Tesla's need, buy they decided to use the automotive plant.
Turned out to be a win-win.

I wish the GM workers the best of luck in landing somewhere.
People gotta eat.

I worked for a supplier to NUMMI and spent a lot of time there. Cost of living was astronomical. Many people drove 2 hours each way. Was an interesting relationship between the two automakers. I think both benefitted but the GM products there didn't seem to be relevant toward the end, and the 2008 crash made them an easy target with high costs. Was a nice place to work though. Glad the factory is on its third life.

There was an interesting story on NPR "this American life" about the history of the plant. I recommend listening to it if auto production interests you.

Always thought this was a very good looking car. My experiences with the 1.4 turbo in the Encore wasn't bad but wasn't good--it was throwing nagging CEL's when it was totaled. The last couple of GM cars purchased cost me about a thousand bucks more in repairs than a corresponding Hyundai-Kia.

I wonder whether steel tariffs pushed these cars over the edge.

Although not a compact, the new '20 Sonata shows that companies other than GM, Ford and FCA are continuing to invest in sedans. What do they know that the so-called Big 3 don't?

It is sad to see and many of us, including myself have been through this. It's my worst nightmare now given I'm middle aged still have kids to support and the bride doesn't get a paycheck.

The fact of the matter is, why has GM stayed with this segment of vehicle so long? I know we've talked about it a bunch of times here, but these vehicles have been a money looser for GM since forever, yet they chose to carry on loosing money making them.

I'm not saying the Cavalier, Cobalt and Cruze were bad cars. I actually LOVED my 2007 Cobalt LS 4dr I bought brand new back in 2007 for $12100. It's the car I regret not keeping longer than I did.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
companies do not like to hire over 55 or so. They do not like to hire if not currently working. Big gaps will disqualify you.

So naturally the labor pool is a little small for them. Lots of potentially good workers get overlooked.

Rod
Hard working old people are rare. Being healthy enough to be productive at that age is also rare. What good is an employee who is either coasting or at the doctor's office all the time? I've seen exceptions to the rule of course but I've also seen 3+ Dr's appointments a month, mailing it in until they reach pension age and just general lackadaisical behavior. Old men also have a good chance of being insecure and screwing with younger male employees. I'd never hire a 55+ full time, I'd rather give the chance to a youngster who has something to prove instead of someone who is entitled because of when they were born.

There are always exceptions, work ethic is more important than age.

Originally Posted by JTK
It is sad to see and many of us, including myself have been through this. It's my worst nightmare now given I'm middle aged still have kids to support and the bride doesn't get a paycheck.

The fact of the matter is, why has GM stayed with this segment of vehicle so long? I know we've talked about it a bunch of times here, but these vehicles have been a money looser for GM since forever, yet they chose to carry on loosing money making them.

I'm not saying the Cavalier, Cobalt and Cruze were bad cars. I actually LOVED my 2007 Cobalt LS 4dr I bought brand new back in 2007 for $12100. It's the car I regret not keeping longer than I did.

Potential CAFE related fees primarily and State/Local politics second.

I been there when they closed my Astro/Safari plant in Baltimore. It turned out to be a blessing as I came to Texas where there is no shortage of work and its a much better way of life in Texas.

Originally Posted by JTK
55 is old to you? Sheesh..

This poster has a history of being anti old people for some reason.

Originally Posted by csandste
Always thought this was a very good looking car. My experiences with the 1.4 turbo in the Encore wasn't bad but wasn't good--it was throwing nagging CEL's when it was totaled. The last couple of GM cars purchased cost me about a thousand bucks more in repairs than a corresponding Hyundai-Kia.

I wonder whether steel tariffs pushed these cars over the edge.

Although not a compact, the new '20 Sonata shows that companies other than GM, Ford and FCA are continuing to invest in sedans. What do they know that the so-called Big 3 don't?

Paying more attention on long term profit than short term profit. That culture is killing American companies across the board.

Have only been in one car plant, the GM Wentzville plant for a walk through before it opened, so I admittedly know nothing about what I'm talking about, however....

I was active in the St. Louis chapter of the American Society for Public Administration. At one of their monthly meetings they had some sort of industrial psychologist talking about making the workplace interesting. This was probably early eighties.

The audience was city administrators, other types of government, middle managers, a sprinkling of academics. Maybe twenty to thirty in the room.

The question was: "How many of you would work in an auto plant if the pay were 50% higher?"

Twenty hands stayed down, one went up.

That person said "You don't understand, I worked in the Chrysler Fenton plant for five years. I sat on a chair, writing my novel . Every four or five minutes an Omni or Horizon would roll down the line and I would wrench one part up. Then I would sit on my chair waiting for the next car that no one bought"

His memories weren't totally recent , so I think this would have been in the late seventies, early eighties. I know Fenton had two lines, one of which made minivans. I know build quality at Fenton was supposed to be lower than the Canadian vans. I didn't actually check whether the Omnirizon was on the other line. My memory is addled with old age, but this story of nothing to do at work certainly has stuck in place for close to four decades.

It was a long time ago, and maybe he wasn't telling the truth, but we all found this story disconcerting at the time. When you can impress people in gummint with the lack of work ethic, that's really saying something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Silverado12
I know that's what I would do. I had to leave West Virginia in the mid 1980s to find a decent job in the Richmond, VA area. Been here ever since and don't regret it one bit. The weather is nicer, cars don't rust and people here seem to be decent for the most part.

Did you have to sell your house in WV? Being able to sell ones home is difficult in areas where the primary employer leaves because of the impact on supply (more people are selling) and demand (less people can afford to buy).

Just about any home in any region can be sold without any problem at all. The only requirement is that the asking price be at or near the current market price. Not what it used to be worth, not what you bought it for or not what you think it should be worth. If it is priced correctly, it will sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back