Gut-wrenching' last Chevrolet Cruze comes off the line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Silverado12
I know that's what I would do. I had to leave West Virginia in the mid 1980s to find a decent job in the Richmond, VA area. Been here ever since and don't regret it one bit. The weather is nicer, cars don't rust and people here seem to be decent for the most part.

Did you have to sell your house in WV? Being able to sell ones home is difficult in areas where the primary employer leaves because of the impact on supply (more people are selling) and demand (less people can afford to buy).

Just about any home in any region can be sold without any problem at all. The only requirement is that the asking price be at or near the current market price. Not what it used to be worth, not what you bought it for or not what you think it should be worth. If it is priced correctly, it will sell.

In some areas that might be less than price of Cruze.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by JTK
55 is old to you? Sheesh..

This poster has a history of being anti old people for some reason.

IIRC-- The 65 year old retirement age comes from Bismarck's Germany. This was the option adopted. The other one under consideration was to just kill you when you hit 65.

Sure … Wall Street types criticize and penalize long term thinking like the XOM/Xto deal … now the number one driller with huge domestic production targets …

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
The American love affair with fake SUVs did this.

Or an aging population which prefers the easier ingress/egress of a CUV vs a sedan.

Last edited:
I know that's what I would do. I had to leave West Virginia in the mid 1980s to find a decent job in the Richmond, VA area. Been here ever since and don't regret it one bit. The weather is nicer, cars don't rust and people here seem to be decent for the most part.

Did you have to sell your house in WV? Being able to sell ones home is difficult in areas where the primary employer leaves because of the impact on supply (more people are selling) and demand (less people can afford to buy).

Just about any home in any region can be sold without any problem at all. The only requirement is that the asking price be at or near the current market price. Not what it used to be worth, not what you bought it for or not what you think it should be worth. If it is priced correctly, it will sell.

Only in a theoretical sense.

When I retired I gave up a company car so I had to buy a car. I was looking at cars and realized that I had spent the last 15+ years in a minivan or SUV. Getting in and out of a car was more difficult so I got an SUV. They are so much more comfortable for a 6'2" 230# guy with a bad back.

While that is true. It is not the problem. The problem comes when you dump 1,000+ homes on the market, in a economically depressed area all at once. All triggered by a major spike in unemployment. It crashes the real estate market, much the same as it crashes a stock price if everyone decides to panic and dump a given stock all at once.

You end up with a lot of people who lose everything. Because they not only can't sell for what they owe, but in addition they cannot make their current mortgage payments, because they have no job. And the hopes of getting ANY kind of job are bleak. Because you've been dumped on the job market with 1,700 of your fellow workers, who all live in the same area. Suddenly working nights at 7 Eleven doesn't sound so bad. But even they are inundated with applications.

Not only that, but a lot of the lending institutions in the immediate area take a beating. Because people all start defaulting on car loans, mortgages, credit card payments, name it. Anyone even remotely considering moving into the area knows all of this. And as a result they are going to give nothing but major lowball offers on any property because of it. Which then drives down real estate prices even further. The whole thing quickly becomes a major economic train wreck for the entire region.

Unemployment figures are usually really only accurate in that they report the number of people registered as searching for work. So it is the number of registered unemployed looking for work (for example those on unemployment insurance is one source) divided by the labor workforce. Really, its the only way they can measure it. They can only calculate from the numbers they are given.

The unemployment rate does not count for anyone else ie; those who just lost their jobs haven't had a chance to register with the system, or those that have given up looking for work or those that have fallen through the cracks in the system for one reason or another.

If you look at the stats from that point of view they paint a very biased picture that looks quite presentable to the public of lower percentages...usually below 10%

If you were to account for all the other variables, it paints a picture of much different picture, but it would be hard to quantify.

One method of accruing actual stats may be a snapshot as census time (asking if employed or not) but that would still leave out the homeless and only be accurate for the day asked.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
companies do not like to hire over 55 or so. They do not like to hire if not currently working. Big gaps will disqualify you.

So naturally the labor pool is a little small for them. Lots of potentially good workers get overlooked.

Rod
Hard working old people are rare. Being healthy enough to be productive at that age is also rare. What good is an employee who is either coasting or at the doctor's office all the time? I've seen exceptions to the rule of course but I've also seen 3+ Dr's appointments a month, mailing it in until they reach pension age and just general lackadaisical behavior. Old men also have a good chance of being insecure and screwing with younger male employees. I'd never hire a 55+ full time, I'd rather give the chance to a youngster who has something to prove instead of someone who is entitled because of when they were born.

There are always exceptions, work ethic is more important than age.

I'm 59 years old and I'll bet I could out-work you any day of the week.....Last year I built a new bath in my basement, this winter I gutted the one upstairs....in addition to my full time day job. Geez

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
companies do not like to hire over 55 or so. They do not like to hire if not currently working. Big gaps will disqualify you.

So naturally the labor pool is a little small for them. Lots of potentially good workers get overlooked.

Rod
Hard working old people are rare. Being healthy enough to be productive at that age is also rare. What good is an employee who is either coasting or at the doctor's office all the time? I've seen exceptions to the rule of course but I've also seen 3+ Dr's appointments a month, mailing it in until they reach pension age and just general lackadaisical behavior. Old men also have a good chance of being insecure and screwing with younger male employees. I'd never hire a 55+ full time, I'd rather give the chance to a youngster who has something to prove instead of someone who is entitled because of when they were born.

There are always exceptions, work ethic is more important than age.

I see far more young people who feel entitled because of when they were born, and how they were raised (Participation Trophy mindset). How often do we hear from Millenials here how easy those baby boomers had it? Yet there are Boomers here that know what the job market was, (or wasn't) during the supposed glory days, because they lived through it...

I think you missed the point; selling in a market soon after a large employer cuts jobs will depress the sales prices of the houses.

The housing market is getting a double whammy where the demand is decreasing (due to fewer jobs in the local economy) and the supply is increasing (due to laid off employees moving out of the area).

Originally Posted by 02SE
I see far more young people who feel entitled because of when they were born, and how they were raised (Participation Trophy mindset). How often do we hear from Millenials here how easy those baby boomers had it? Yet there are Boomers here that know what the job market was, (or wasn't) during the supposed glory days, because they lived through it...

+1,000 !!

Or an aging population which prefers the easier ingress/egress of a CUV vs a sedan.

Or low gas prices the last 4 years. When it gets back over $4 a gallon, and it will, the sales of SUVs will tank just they did when gas was $4.

Americans love their crossovers because they have a belief that higher is somehow safer.

It's not just Americans. Crossovers are gaining popularity all over.

Being higher does give the driver better visibility. Also for many, sitting in a chair like seat offers better comfort and visibility compared to a low slung seat in a sedan.

It's all personal preference of course.

A company not producing stuff that people love to buy did this.

The last truck is a great documentary about the closing of the plant where gmc envoys and such were made. I'd suggest watching it. You'll probably cry though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back