gut check time fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok normally i average 12K a year on my crv and change the oil once a year. this year has been abnormal since my step father has been in the hospital, ive put 12K miles on the crv in 7 months span visiting him. i still have another 4 months to go before my yearly oil change. but im already at 12K miles. thats 2K over factory spec. i know alot of guys here wouldnt even do 12K on a synthetic, muchless a dino. my car specs 5w30 and 6 yearly 10,000 mile changes. im running 15w40 diesel oil in it though.

so my question to you guys is should i change it out like my gut says to or brave through another 4 months. keep in mind im in florida and this is 80% highway miles that im putting on.

well logically the diesel oil will have a stronger TBN than PCMO that the factory calls for, however 10,000+ MILES on mineral oil no less makes my gut turn!
crushedcar.gif

You are truly a Saddist of motor engines. You would make a good Amsoil guy. Really, I commend you, I want so bad to go to extended oil changes, but I get so antzy about the oil in 3 months and its ussually less than 3000 miles. I do anyway to get at Al Gore.

I'd be concerned about oxidation, nitration, high TAN, varnish, etc. If you brave it which I don't think you should, monitor internal cleanliness and oil consumption. There are some UOAs of people who went over 15k miles on excellent synthetic oils and many were not pretty.

I just spent the better half of the afternoon flushing out 10 years of decomposed leaves from my rain gutters and then come inside the house and read this thread.

I think I'll skip dinner tonight.
puke.gif

You can take a UOA sample thru the dipstick tube - just get some aquirium tubing at walmart. The UOA labs are cool with this method. This would cost you a little, but it would tell you how your engines doing overall, and it would tell you if your present 12k method is a good one, and then it would tell you whether to push the next four months. That's a lot of info for $22.50.

IMHO, another 4 months on mineral oil is not advisable under your driving conditions. Personally, my gut would be turning after 12k miles on dino, but I certainly wouldn't push it longer. Change it now is my advice.

How long are big rig oci's?...they run HDEO out this far and farther...granted the engines are different but Honda's are easy on oil and the sub-tropical climate you live in is an oil's best friend...I say run it and do a UOA...

They also have an oil pan that you could park that CRV in.

Quote:

How long are big rig oci's?...they run HDEO out this far and farther...granted the engines are different but Honda's are easy on oil and the sub-tropical climate you live in is an oil's best friend...I say run it and do a UOA...

Quote:

Granted, but big rigs also have much larger oil sumps than than CR-Vs do. That makes a big difference in their OCI schedule. Most diesel pickups or passenger cars run OCIs much closer to that of a gas engine than a big rig. I'd still change it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back