Gun Screws At Ace Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the hardware dept. at my local Ace Hardware yesterday, and I was surprised to see they had not one, but 4 drawers full of various blued steel gun screws! Every type and length imaginable. Every oddball thread size, and type of head you could think of. Honestly, it was the biggest assortment I've ever seen anywhere.

Each drawer had several sets of tweezers to fish them out. They even had plates with various thread sizes drilled and tapped into them, all stamped with the thread size, so you could check to make sure you got the right one. I never saw anything like this at Lowe's or Home Depot. And both of them have large hardware depts.

I don't know if every Ace has these, but it's good to know if you ever need screws to mount a scope, or else lose one doing a home gunsmith project. And it's sure a lot cheaper than buying one of those expensive sets from Brownell's, that you'll never end up using 95% of them.

Ace hardware seems to be small enough that the local franchisee can make some product offerings decisions based on the local demand.

Definitely not something you'd find in a big box place.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Ace hardware seems to be small enough that the local franchisee can make some product offerings decisions based on the local demand.

Definitely not something you'd find in a big box place.

Same case for my local Ace. They tend to have better herbicides and pesticides than HD/Lowes, and now seem to carry a lot of high end camping supplies.

Bill, who was the assortment made by? I think Hillman is one big supplier of those drawer assortments..

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Bill, who was the assortment made by? I think Hillman is one big supplier of those drawer assortments..

Correct. The entire display was all Hillman.

We have a new ACE hardware here that replace the OSH store and their hardware selection is incredible. I stopped in and they have their automotive trim fasteners sorted by vehicle manufacturer.

I like our local ace. Slightly more expensive on some stuff but not all. Sales are good. Single piece hardware is better than HD, at least same size but far more varied options, not just s million sizes of lag and galvanized bolts taking up the space (though there's a place for that and HD caters to their customers)

Next time you're in snap a pic. Would like to see what to look for and see if they have them. Ours has any sort of stuff.

flat screws are getting harder and harder to find in any type...

This is good to know. My DW 1911 came with Allen head grip screws and I'd like to put regular flathead screws in it. Thanks for the heads up.

I remember the Andy Griffith Show episode where the old man bank guard's gun kept falling apart. He told Barney he'd been meaning to replace the screws for years. Barney got mad and told him the hardware store was right down the street. I guess ol' Barn knew what he was talking about.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
What makes a small screw a "gun screw"?

I would think Bill's description of "blued steel" would be enough.

See any blued steel fasteners anywhere else?

Fine threads. Short. Rounded heads. Blued.

Gun screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back