Gun Safety........................NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
CARCASSONNE, France (AFP) - French President Nicolas Sarkozy promised swift and severe punishment Monday after a soldier used real bullets instead of blanks and wounded 17 people at an army base open day.

Link to Source

This is terrible. Could be an accident, but how, especially a trained veteran solider, could you not tell the difference between real and blank ammo? If they are going to do exercises like this around the general public (especially children) either use no guns at all, or use water pistols.

Johnny, I can't understand how it can happen at all.

Ammunition is issued, and the blank stuff is sooooo far from looking like real stuff, and for a very good reason so that if the issuer stuffs up, the receiver doesn't.

As an aside, a lot of rifles need a blank firing attachment to even function semi-auto/auto on blanks...

Did the other story make it to the US less than a week ago ?

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5g_Ue2dGiE04h59lSrjktQim2NK6A

Last edited:
IIRC, isn't the French military handbook written on white cloth?

oops.....didn't see Pablo's post until I had posted my lame joke.

Last edited:
blanks or not, why was he firing toward a group of people? this is against basic gun safety as i understand it. i dont believe that 17 people were hit by ricochets (hey a french word).

Quote:
Since when did they issue live ammo to the French military?

LOL
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Since when did they issue live ammo to the French military?

LOL.gif
LOL.gif

Last edited:
I thought blanks still shot bits of wire and paper, so it's imprudent to point the things at people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back