Gumout All in One: add each fill-up in motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in reading the Gumout FAQ (this one and this one), it states using Gumout All in One (AIO) in an every tank maintanance dose is acceptable.

I have a bunch of Gumout AIO (thread about how much I actually have) that will take me a few years to go through, so I am debating using ~1/2 oz per tank in my 1994 Honda VT1100 Shadow (~ 2.5 - 3 gallons per fillup).
I may miss a tank here and there due to filling up away from home, but no big deal overall.

One of the benefits of AIO is it is an ethanol treatment, and since I have no ethanol free gas around me, a good thing for a 23 yr old vehicle I think.
Not exactly sure what all AIO does for ethanol fuel, but I figure it will not hurt.
It also is supposed to have friction modifiers in it, which may help with gas mileage (not a real concern on the bike, but another plus)

I think it would also be very helpful for any fuel that may sit in the carbs for any period of time. I try to shut the petcock off and let the bike run out of fuel if I won't be riding for a while, but sometimes it may not happen. I think it would help keep it from varnishing or gumming up as well as helping keep the fuel "fresh" when not ridden. I have almost year-round riding, so no long term storage needed.

Any reason to not do this?
The FAQ did mention that "massive over-treatment" could cause fuel dilution of the oil due to possible fuel blow-by, but I don't think 1/2 oz per 3 gallons would rate as massive over-treatment (regular dose is 1-2 oz/3 gallons).

I have run 2 tanks so far at the regular dose rate, and current tank has .
The bike is low mileage (just over 7,000 miles) so not really concerned about any carbon buildup, and being a carb'ed bike, no clogged fuel injectors (and the carbs were just cleaned and sync'ed).

Living in Tx, the best thing for your Shadow would be to ride more. 7,000 mlles in 23 years.....really? I have used Gumout AIO and hear it's good stuff. Now I use non ethanol 93 and a dose of Techron concentrate a couple times a year.

Last edited:
I just got the bike 3 weeks ago, driveable a week ago. I plan on putting on a lot more miles on it.
400 miles last week alone, a 500 mile trip planned in a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Don't you have any CENEX stations?

????
There's nothing special at all about the gas at Cenex stations,
so why would you say this?

Sorry, No Cenex stations in Texas.

Are you referring to 100% gasoline?

Only selected stations in Texas have E-0 gasoline.

It's kind of hard to find.

Oklahoma sells it everywhere........

There are two ethanol-free gas stations in Katy, TX.

There seem to be quite a few on the list but I realize TX is a BIG State so maybe they are pretty spread out.
grin.gif

Here is the website and there is even an interactive map link once on the page:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

Originally Posted By: Linctex

????
There's nothing special at all about the gas at Cenex stations,
so why would you say this?

Sorry, No Cenex stations in Texas.

There actually is something special about CENEX gas. They sell E0. This makes them more special than those competitors that don't.

Down here in FL the local Sunoco sells E0 so its "special". They call it "Rec Gas" here which is short for "Recreational".

It does seem like the marketing of E0 is becoming more popular so hopefully there will be more & more "special" brands in the future.
grin.gif

I won't even get into how special CENEX diesel is.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Good for Gumout's bottom line.

I am inclined to agree with this statement.

IMO, using Top Tier fuels, even E10, continues to keep engines and fuel systems clean after the occasional PEA treatment.

As for ensuring longer term fuel stability and prevention of Ethanol seperation, does Gumout claim to do this? I don't see it listed on their website?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
There are two ethanol-free gas stations in Katy, TX.

There seem to be quite a few on the list but I realize TX is a BIG State so maybe they are pretty spread out.
grin.gif

Here is the website and there is even an interactive map link once on the page:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

Yes, I checked that shortly after I had posted this.
One of them is a Buc-ee's that opened 2 weeks ago, did not know that the had e-0 (and no idea on the price).
I also don't know if the e-0 is 93 octane only or if it is also 87 octane. I use 87 in the bike.

The other is a speed shop that sells it (I think it is 93 octane).
When I checked a few weeks ago, it was like $1.00 more/gallon than e-10 93 octane at local pumps.

Seems a few more are popping up in Houston area though (not sure how though, I thought e-10 was a federal clean air mandate).

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Good for Gumout's bottom line.

I got 24 bottles for just over $25, so a dollar a bottle (that will last me 10+ tanks) is not helping Gumouts bottom line much. It will cost me < $0.10 per fill-up, cheaper than getting e-0.
If I did not have so much, I would not really even thinking about it.

IMO, using Top Tier fuels, even E10, continues to keep engines and fuel systems clean after the occasional PEA treatment.

As for ensuring longer term fuel stability and prevention of Ethanol seperation, does Gumout claim to do this? I don't see it listed on their website?

I usually fill up at Kroger or Walmart (neither are Top Tier), but sometimes Sunoco or Valero (Top Tier stations)
On the bottle it says "Fuel System Cleaner + Ethanol Treatment" and the website says "Conditions fuel to fight ethanol and water corrosion". I don't think AIO does anything for actual fuel stabilization, but would think it would help keep carbs from gumming up.

I won't even get into how special CENEX diesel is.
grin.gif

It can't be too bad... I know some big farmers up north that buy 10,000 gallons of it AT A TIME, sometimes several times a year. These guys might have 4-10 large 400-500 HP tractors and a half dozen $270,000 combines and another half dozen semi trucks.

They might burn 1000 gallons of diesel A DAY, every day, for several weeks.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

On the bottle it says "Fuel System Cleaner + Ethanol Treatment" and the website says "Conditions fuel to fight ethanol and water corrosion". I don't think AIO does anything for actual fuel stabilization, but would think it would help keep carbs from gumming up.

Here is Gumout's Answer from the Q and A section about that topic:
Q: If not considering fuel stabilization as a factor, which product would be most beneficial for small 4 stroke engines and OPE?

A: Gumout Regane, Regane High Mileage or All-in-One complete fuel system cleaners offer strong clean-up performance wherever deposits may be in the engine even on small 4 stroke/OPE engines. Gumout Multi-System Tune-up is another great choice when several small engines are to be treated. Use about 1-2 ounces of Regane or All-in-One per 3 gallons of gasoline. If using 2-cycle fuel also add the recommended amount of oil. Use about 1-2 ounces of Multi-System Tune-Up per gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel. If fuel stability is an issue use the Multi-System Tune-Up for both gasoline and diesel.

Based on that, here are some suggestions: You can use more than a half ounce in 3 gallons, 1 ounce per 3 gallons is probably good. The All in one product will not stabilize the fuel but it will clean the fuel system, disperse some water and the lubricants in it should help prevent rust and lube the upper cylinder.

For the price you got all that all in one for, I would do it. It wont hurt but it probably will help keep the carbs clean.

I am happy to see Buc-ees has E0! FYI today’s price is 1.88 which is dramatically lower than the competition. I will be going over the to check it out for my next tank. After all, 1.88 might be e10

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I am happy to see Buc-ees has E0! FYI today’s price is 1.88 which is dramatically lower than the competition. I will be going over the to check it out for my next tank. After all, 1.88 might be e10

I was about to say, the e-0 is $1.88! Let me grab my gas cans.
That is the regular e-10 price (still very cheap though, $2.35 is the cheapest of the stations right near me).

That Buc-ees is about 6 miles from my house, but I rarely go over to that area (plus traffic right around there is always horrible).
If they have 87 octane e-0 for a reasonable price (like $0.30 more a gallon max) I may run by there on occasion (or maybe stop by in the truck with a few gas cans).

E-0 apparently stands for Exhorbitant - 0% discount. Prices:
Diesel - 2.159
E-0 - 2.899
E-10 87- 1.879
E-10 89 - 2.129
E-10 93 - 2.429

At that price, I won't even use it in my mower. It has no trouble on the Stabil/E10 diet. We shall see if this differential narrows over time.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
E-0 apparently stands for Exhorbitant - 0% discount. Prices:
Diesel - 2.159
E-0 - 2.899
E-10 87- 1.879
E-10 89 - 2.129
E-10 93 - 2.429

At that price, I won't even use it in my mower. It has no trouble on the Stabil/E10 diet. We shall see if this differential narrows over time.

Thanks.
I think Buc-ees regular gas price is a loss leader right now.
As you know, everything else in the area (except the Love's down the street from it) is ~$2.38 or higher, so if e-0 price compared to e-10 at other local stations is only around $0.50/gallon more, but still more than I am willing to spend.

I will just keep doing the 1/2 oz or so per fill up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back