Gumout 10X the Detergent as Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
http://www.gumout.com/drive-o-nomics/MPGenius.asp

I wonder why they are picking on an lube to compare cleaning power?

Also this marketing [censored] makes me 15X more irritated.

The link takes us to the quiz, where they mention that the Gumout cleaner has more detergent than the Lucas cleaner.

What's wrong with comparing a cleaner to a cleaner? It's not like they've compared it to some Lucas motor oil...

Well, lucas claims to be a "upper cylinder lubricant." If you go all the way through they claim gumout has more lubrication properties than lucas, though.

While I agree with most of their claims there is no way it can lubricate better than a UCL that is added to every tankful of gas. Maybe, and I have my doubts it can lube better for the tankful that it is added to, once that is gone and you re-fuel that UCL benefit is gone. Besides if I were looking for a good UCL I'd add MMO.

According to Lucas, Lucas UCL is more than a lube. One picture on the package shows a cylinder before and after treatment. The before side has a dirty intake port, valve face, head, and cylinder top which are clean on the after side. The next picture shows an injector with a poor spray pattern and another injector with a good spray pattern.

Originally Posted By: Lucas UCL Container
LUCAS UPPER CYLINDER Lubricant with Injector Cleaners and FUEL CONDITIONERS

CARBON IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER CAN CAUSE:
1. PRE-IGNITION
2. LOSS OF COMPRESSION
3. BURNED VALVES
4. BROKEN RINGS

FOULED INJECTORS CAN CAUSE:
1. LOSS OF FUEL ECONOMY
2. LOSS OF POWER
3. BURNED PISTONS
4. PREMATURE OVERHAULS

Lubricates compression rings for easier piston travel, more power and less cylinder wear.

Lubricates pumps, carburetors, injectors and compression rings.

Contains special clean burning additives to facilitate a complete combustion burn for more power, more fuel economy and fewer emissions.

Creates a cushion seal at the valve seat for higher compression, more fuel economy and less valve wear.

Gumout claims that Lucas claims to only clean three fuel system parts. I disagree with the Gumout claim statement because from what I see Lucas claims to clean all six.

I agree with Gumout in that Lucas UCL does not clean piston tops or the cylinder head. I think that Lucas UCL does clean intake ports but Gumout probably didn't check mark it for marketing reasons. If 4 of 6 marks were checked then consumers unaware of the importance of each mark might believe that Lucas UCL is almost as good as Regane and would be more likely to buy it. With 3 of 6 marks checked Lucas UCL is only half as good as Regane which is clearly the better buy.

Gumout has too many products to chose from.

This one claims to have anti-friction additives to increase mileage.

http://www.gumout.com/ourProducts/all-In-OneFSC.asp

GO_PRO_all-In-OneFSC.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
http://www.gumout.com/drive-o-nomics/MPGenius.asp

I wonder why they are picking on an lube to compare cleaning power?

Also this marketing [censored] makes me 15X more irritated.

Jonny Z,

That's how competitive it out their in the real world! I'm with you as I believe Lucas is more of an upper cylinder lube than a fuel injector cleaner, etc. No big deal I just add a bottle of both and move forward.

Isn't there another product that offers the best of both worlds? I can't remember the brand but it's common at my local PEP BOYS.
Maybe something called SL1...... maybe?????

Durango

If Lucas markets their product as providing extensive combustion system cleaning, then they can't complain if a competator takes them up on it.

However Lucas UCL is ment to be used every tank, vs Regane every 3000 miles, so saying that one has 10x more cleaners than the other is sort of meaningless. Also the type of cleaning chemistry might be different.

It seems that recently the fuel additive market has become more competative recently. For example at my local Autozone I've recently seen a new product from the Restore folks:

http://www.restoreusa.com/Fuel_System.html

As well as updated packaging from STP and prestone.

For myself, I slog all the way to AAP to buy Lubro-moly Jectron for regular use, every other tank, and the occasional Chevron Techron after each oil change. Sometimes I toss in some B-12 Chemtool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back