Gulfpride and Gulftec

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the story on these? I heard a while back Brad Penn was producing them. Are they good oils? Where to get it? This will be going into an EJ251 Subaru. Been using 5w30 since new.

Thanks for any replies!

I use Gulfpride AFE 5w30 synthetic blend often. It is our bulk oil. I have been very impressed with its performance.
American Refining Group, the makers of Brad Penn, held the license to blend Gulf lubricants up until a couple years ago. Gulf now licenses their lubricants to Nu-Tier Brands. Nu-Tier is a company that was started by some Citgo guys and Lou Polsinello of Polsinello Fuels.
I contacted them recently and their customer service stated that ARG no longer blends Gulf oil. They would not tell me who does.
Either way, Gulf is a great oil.

Originally Posted By: salv
I use Gulfpride AFE 5w30 synthetic blend often. It is our bulk oil. I have been very impressed with its performance.

Bulk at Hyundai? Also in the Turbos, correct? What is the OCI you'd recommend using a blend in these 2.0T engines vs a syn?

I always encourage staying with severe service on the GDI Turbos. 3750 is preferred, but 5000 is easily doable.
My advise on oil changes for the Hyundai GDI Turbo engines is to stay at 5000 or less regardless of what the base oils are.
We only have the one grade as a bulk oil. 5w30 SN/GF-5 is all that Hyundai requires, and it is acceptable for use in all modern Hyundais.

Synthetic blend GP is all you guys use, or is conventional the baseline offering?

It is all we use. Gulf does not offer a 5w30 conventional. Their synthetic blend is about 25% synthetic base oil on the average. We only pay $7.19/gallon for it, and bill it at $2.32/quart for oil changes. Customers pay $9.28 for the oil up to 5 quarts. Our total cost for an oil change with OEM filter is $31.95.

The gas station I worked at growing up was a Gulf station.So Gulfpride was one of the types we sold.IIRC it was a white can.

We have Gulf 5W-20 in the Civic right now. We've had it in there since last fall as a dealership fill when we got the timing belt replaced. Seems to be holding up just fine. I'm assuming it's the synthetic blend, though the receipt doesn't specify. I may end up changing it sooner than anticipated, though, since I don't think they changed the drain plug crush washer as it's leaking at the bolt ever-so-slightly.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back