GULF motor oils ...

Speaking of memorabilia . Was given these whenever I made a purchase ( candy , soda , etc. ) from local corner SUNOCO gas station . Wish I had them . Was 12 at the that time . https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/memorabilia/sunoco-nfl-stamps and https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...AhWDVs0KHcdeBBsQjJkEegQIBxAC&biw=1913&bih=959 .

An Uncle in Wisconsin owned a SUNOCO service station. That was 40+ years ago. He was an honest broker with a kind soul. Miss him.

Where did Sunoco go? Still around?

Edit: Still around. Appaently, there are 5000 stations in 30 states yet. I haven't seen them!

Last edited:
The Gulf tower was their headquarters in Pittsburgh in 1932. I imagine Gulf started out in that area due to the Pennsylvania Crude ( lubricating oil) boom. The building still stands today with it's iconic red light at the top of the tower.

Cumberland Farms had a distribution center on Neville Island (PA). Pumped and loaded quite a few barges for them. It was an old Gulf facility, and an airport before that. The control tower was turned into a control station for the electrically operated valves in the tank farm. Had some really high volume pumps. Could fill a million gallon barge in about 5 hours! Kept you on your toes adjusting mooring lines.

The last Gulf station I've seen was in Marietta, OH around 2012.

We had a Gulf station years ago … There is a convenience store 40 miles away with Gulf gasoline … have an old can of Gulf aviation oil in my small set of antique cans … Like this:
CD26FEBA-2518-44AA-A6D3-E6924A0BAE9A.jpeg

In the closest town to me there is an old style, brick service station. With an active one bay service bay. It's a one pump full service Gulf branded station. I have never actually stopped there. It's the only Gulf sign that I've seen in decades in my greater area, as well as almost the last non convenience store gas source.

I'm surely dating myself, but I do recall the distinctive odor of the Gulf "No-Nox" leaded premium fuel of many decades ago.

Gulf still seems to be grtting publicity from the Steve McQueen movie made 50 years ago.
Probably a fair amount from Ford v Ferrari a couple of years back as well.

Gulf as a widespread brand pretty much evaporated with its acquisition by Chevron in the 1980s, when all the former Gulf stations in my area (Houston) were rebranded as Chevron.

Since then, according to the Wikipedia article, "Gulf Oil" is a sort of loose alliance of companies who either have rights to the Gulf name, or who are licensed to sell under the "Gulf" trademark, as opposed to a single monolithic oil company like it used to be.

Anybody tried Gulf Classic 20W-50? Plan using it in old carbed V12 Jaguar engine. Love this brand is alive again. Afraid of low TBN number (5.2) though. Zinc content 2400ppm, may be good choice for my old 1972 flat tappets engine.

Attachments

• 7c7721a7692c78d22e548c21a12cdf9e-image.jpeg
    7c7721a7692c78d22e548c21a12cdf9e-image.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 89YwzY.jpeg
    89YwzY.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 173366-2.jpg
    173366-2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 4
  • NUqwaE.jpeg
    NUqwaE.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 5
Price?
These classic oils in fancy tin cans tend to be expensive.
If you want a good 20W-50 with lots of ZDDP look no further than Valvoline VR1.
€31 for 5litre can. I know Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W-50 and have been using it. This Gulf oil is somehow sympathic to me.

Here in Central Pennsylvania, a few Gulf stations that replaced Texaco when they pulled out of this market, all are convenience stores. Their primary claim to fame is some carry Ethanol-free gas at higher prices. They are patronized by the lawn service guys. I don't use them as they are not Toptier rated.

Back