Gulf ATF vs. Mecron LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gulf: http://nu-tierbrands.com/images/pdfs/Tra...0LV_Feb2014.pdf

Mercon LV: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...MERCON%20LV.pdf

Can someone with more knowledge than me compare the Gulf to the Mercon. The most notable I can see is that the Gulf has a VI of 130 and the Mercon VI is spec'd at 155. Is that a huge difference or is it negligible? What about the Gulf viscosity @ 40c being 34.4 and the Mercon being 29.6. Is that a huge difference? Or is the Gulf not even close to meeting Mercon spec.? The Amsoil fluid I'm thinking about getting matches Mercon spec way closer than the Gulf does but I'm not sure if the Gulf is even that far off spec.

Last edited:
That's what I'm trying to do. This Gulf stuff was put in by a shop and I can't decide if it's problematic or if it's close enough to spec to let go.

If it were my vehicle, I'd start from scratch and upgrade to the better basestock Mercon LV.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Amsoil's version of Mercon LV. Although, I don't like that it's also recommended for other applications. It defies that whole "Multi-Vehicle" rule. But it's Amsoil and they're one of the top, if not THE top, oil manufacturer in the country so why not trust them.

Originally Posted By: Throt
I'm thinking of upgrading to Amsoil's version of Mercon LV. Although, I don't like that it's also recommended for other applications. It defies that whole "Multi-Vehicle" rule. But it's Amsoil and they're one of the top, if not THE top, oil manufacturer in the country so why not trust them.

Is this licensed Mercon LV or just suitable for applicatons requiring Mercon LV? Spend the few extra bucks and get a product that is
Ford licensed Mercon LV

As we all know large well advertised companies always tell the whole truth don't they?

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

As we all know large well advertised companies always tell the whole truth don't they?

While I would totally agree with you in 99% of instances, Amsoil is that 1% where I disagree.

Valvonline MaxLife w/ Lubegard Platinum with a D&F every 30K miles it is.

I've spent too many hours scowering the internet over this issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back