guess who is making BMW suspensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The USA-made tires I put on my Saab are much better than the German-made tires that were on it.

The USA-made rear brake pads pads I put on my Saab are much better than the (German-made? They're ATE) brake pads it came with. (The OE brake pads were producing a LOT of brake dust, the new pads don't do that).

Haven't replaced any suspension dampers on it.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
That's one of the reasons ACDelco and other American companies are in so much trouble. For example, the Koreans (not sure which company) underbid Valeo (Rochester, NY) at 5 bucks per electric window, so we lost the bid. That's a lot of Americans that were put out of work by Korean companies like this. This company shouldn't be hyped because they make parts for BMW. They're just part of the destruction of the American middle class. It's all about the bottom dollar, race to the bottom mentality. Americans shouldn't have to work for nothing while the execs make multi-million salaries. There needs to be tariffs in place to protect our industries and standard of living, because it's now starting to bite everybody.

This isn't JUST a US problem although it is a more serious problem in developed economies because there have been some protections for workers and the poor unlike fascist totalitarian countries like China and to a much lesser extent South Korea.

Don't forget that many Asian countries like China and S Korea, Japan have had gov't help with industries to allow them to undercut countries like the US where there has been little or no subsidies for industries.

UNFAIR TRADE is what the world has now. GATT and NAFTA are the biggest problems.

No question that this NWO Globalism is a race to the bottom EXCEPT for the ruling elite and some of their minions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brianl703
The USA-made rear brake pads pads I put on my Saab are much better than the (German-made? They're ATE) brake pads it came with. (The OE brake pads were producing a LOT of brake dust, the new pads don't do that).

The low-dust Raybestos brake pads that you installed will not perform well under severe service conditions such as track use. The excessive brake dust is a trade-off for excellent performance under certain situations.

Originally Posted By: hone eagle
here

Uh, do you believe that BMWs built at the BMW plant in Shenyang are going to be imported into *insert country of your choice*?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: hone eagle
here

Uh, do you believe that BMWs built at the BMW plant in Shenyang are going to be imported into *insert country of your choice*?

No no my only point is how vast and interconected the parts supply base is,that even the Germans have no quams about going to the biggest offshore supplier,that Jeep and BMW share a heritage :)
(full disclosure; I am a german born canuk)

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The low-dust Raybestos brake pads that you installed will not perform well under severe service conditions such as track use. The excessive brake dust is a trade-off for excellent performance under certain situations.

Organic pads, like OE ones, are typically not known for good performance.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Organic pads, like OE ones, are typically not known for good performance.

A 9-3 is a performance-oriented vehicle, so I would expect the braking system to reflect that.

There are many types of organic pads. Some of them are very aggressive and are suitable for high temperature use. Others are not. For example, the Axxis ULT pads are of a NAO composition and are excellent for high-performance use.

Increasingly, automakers just final-assemble all the sub-assemblies that are delivered by suppliers.

The manufacturer specs the part, and the supplier builds the part that meets the spec. There are US suppliers that do the same thing, though it is a disturbing trend that US suppliers can't get their costs in-line with foreign competitors.

A Ford may have an interior from Johnson Controls (JCI), so you could say that Mercedes-Benz uses Ford interiors since they also have JCI interiors in some models. Just as you could say that a BMW has a Hyundai suspension.

But the reality is, the parts that meet BMW's specs aren't the same as the parts that meet Hyundai's specs.

Originally Posted By: robbobster
Increasingly, automakers just final-assemble all the sub-assemblies that are delivered by suppliers.

The manufacturer specs the part, and the supplier builds the part that meets the spec. There are US suppliers that do the same thing, though it is a disturbing trend that US suppliers can't get their costs in-line with foreign competitors.

A Ford may have an interior from Johnson Controls (JCI), so you could say that Mercedes-Benz uses Ford interiors since they also have JCI interiors in some models. Just as you could say that a BMW has a Hyundai suspension.

But the reality is, the parts that meet BMW's specs aren't the same as the parts that meet Hyundai's specs.

This is how they have begun to wean themselves off union labour costs,every model change and factory update more of these subassembles are introduced,guys on the line grumble but understand thats the way of the world now.
When I worked "on the line " 35 years ago we were shoulder to shoulder building 800 engines a day(400 people)now you could fire a gun and not hit a thing. Less that 150 people assembling 1200 engines(a shift)and a lot of sub-assembly shipped in from all over the world.

I have to laugh everytime I see people getting upset over the "buy American" ideal when they suddenly realize that the US Auto supplier tiers are 100% global multinational firms and have been for decades.
crackmeup2.gif
Especially after most of them voted for the guys who allowed it.
crazy2.gif

Way too much kool-aid being served these days.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cousincletus
That's one of the reasons ACDelco and other American companies are in so much trouble. For example, the Koreans (not sure which company) underbid Valeo (Rochester, NY) at 5 bucks per electric window, so we lost the bid. That's a lot of Americans that were put out of work by Korean companies like this. This company shouldn't be hyped because they make parts for BMW. They're just part of the destruction of the American middle class. It's all about the bottom dollar, race to the bottom mentality. Americans shouldn't have to work for nothing while the execs make multi-million salaries. There needs to be tariffs in place to protect our industries and standard of living, because it's now starting to bite everybody.

AC Delco was just not competitive. It could have been any other supplier who underbid them. Happens every day. We are no longer in a closed market and have not been for many years. The successful global companies who are on top were focusing their factories globally in the 1970's while the majority of US industry was only focused internally (with the exception of a few)

Yes some of the people on here are commie union drones.

Unfair advantage? What a crock of [censored].

I think it is unfair that high school drop outs that can hardly read and write earn over $50/hr doing mundane assembly.

I also think it is unfair that the obamy led government [censored] away billions of our tax $'s on private business (mostly to appease union comitments) to end up turning partial ownership of Chrysler over to the uaw. Auto industry bailout my arse. It was nothing more than payback for years of blind and mindless support of the left wing demoncrats by the labor unions.

Obama and unions..............

one shakedown artist shakes down another.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

I think it is unfair that high school drop outs that can hardly read and write earn over $50/hr doing mundane assembly.

I also think it is unfair that the obamy led government [censored] away billions of our tax $'s on private business (mostly to appease union comitments) to end up turning partial ownership of Chrysler over to the uaw. Auto industry bailout my arse. It was nothing more than payback for years of blind and mindless support of the left wing demoncrats by the labor unions.

Your stupidity is breathtaking

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

Of course who was it that agreed to the Union contracts and signed them?!?!?!! Hmmm??? You got it the previous managements.

The truth is that capatialistic private business men drove GM and Chrysler into the ground. Guys like GM CEO Ricky Wagoner took home tens of millions in salaries and benefits all the while GM lost over 85 BILLION dollars during the time Wagoner was at the helm.

The Unions didn't decide WHICH vehicles to build or choose the executives of either company.

I say it will be darn interesting to see if an employee owned Chrysler or GM can make a success of the disaster that big money capitalism made of GM and Chrysler.

I think the fat cats are quaking in their boots, because if GM makes it it could be the rise of more employee companies in the future...GOOD.

CEOs really amaze me.

When things go well, they're ready to take the credit for it, because of their wisdom and talent which allowed them to skillfully guide the company towards profitability.

When things go bad and the books are found to have been cooked, why, they're just the CEO, they had no idea, it's not their fault, they aren't that involved in the day to day operations, etc.

Find me one CEO who will take responsibility when the [censored] hits the fan and I'll show you someone who is a rarity in today's world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back