Guess Discount Tire is now my exclusive retail tire dealer

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I have a 2005 Mercedes S500 with OEM staggered tire configuration. The rear tires I purchase always have a treadwear of 500 (or more) last no longer than 17k miles. I have tried Continental, Bridgestone, and even Goodyear tires once. Michelin highest treadwear for this S500 is 300, so I don't purchase Michelins for this vehicle. I have Michelins on all my other vehicles.

About two years ago I purchased Bridgestones for this S500 in Salt Lake City from Discount Tire. They lasted about 17k miles. The Bridgestones have a 50k mile warranty. Last year Discount Tire in Columbia, SC replaced the Bridgestone, with a very generous mileage credit. I now live in the Seattle area, and the rear tires had about 17k on them, and the tires worn below safe tread levels again. Discount Tire again replaced the tires with a very generous mileage credit.

The reason I post this- is the mileage credit is 100 percent hassle free. I don't need to provide receipts of the tire purchase, Bridgestone doesn't have to approve the credit. Discount Tire tracks the tire purchase to my VIN, they track the mileage. Completely hassle free.

Discount Tire, like all chain auto shops, have workmanship issues. But with their tire replacement policy being hassle free and no upsell, I am a customer for life. And of note, I am not one to ever send in for a rebate, or keep a receipt.

Last edited:
Workmanship issues? You saying I should just pull my tire off and bring it alone? I do that with some places...

Workmanship issues? You saying I should just pull my tire off and bring it alone? I do that with some places...
I have had new tires leak at the rims, TPMS issues, etc at Discount Tire. I think if a technician (instead of a tire laborer) mounted my tires, those issues likely would not have occurred. On a plus note, of all the major tire chains, I suspect Discount Tire has the best training program for young people to install tires and executes simple processes to reduce tire installer errors.

If you bring in your wheels not on the car, I suspect the warranty process for the tires will not be so seamless.

Never had one issue with DT in 20+ years. I love the place and the folks who run it.

Wife just had a flat. (dang!) Luckily at Fred Meyer with a DT! (blind pure luck that) Place was packed. Destined to wait. They said two hours. She was bummed. But understood. They had the car ready in under an hour, gave her the screw and piece of steel to show me (I know the managers). Said the double patch was solid. TPMS reset AGAIN. So far so good- especially given the flaky Honda wiring.

I use Discount Tire exclusively except when no other option exists near my vacation property ( Alamosa Colo.)

However I have never once let them have my vehicle to jack up or remove my wheels from vehicle .... I always take wheel off and take in as a drop off

Many warranty replacements on multiple different vehicles no questions asked no milage question ever ......

However I always request the salesman I speak to that they only let a experienced or lead tech dismount or mount my tires and request they use the rubber anti-scratch guards on the machines and also visually show them there are no scratches on the wheel inside and outer lip and request it be put on the ticket after doing so

Best warranty . Good customer attention .

I know this is KAREN level stuff but the one time years ago I just let a tire shop (not Duscount) have at it with no discussion all 4 wheels were scratched and they had more wheel weights than anyone with a brain would try to install and jacked my vehicle up in the wrong location ......this ruined me on just letting the tire shops run free no discussion

Been my dedicated go to tire dealer since 2004. It seems many others have caught on to my DT/AT experience since, so I'd now recommend where possible making an appointment for any service, e.g., tire installation, rotations and balance etc.

Not saying they perfect, (I haven't found that anywhere) but they have consistently delivered high quality service including service after the sale. No reason to for me to go elsewhere. And they've always matched or beaten best price I could find.

hmm this is interesting. when i had my BMW with staggered tires, DT told me that the mileage warranty was void because the tires could not be rotated. like your MB, it ate tires in 20k .

Otherwise never had an issue with DT .

• Wow
Reactions: GON
hmm this is interesting. when i had my BMW with staggered tires, DT told me that the mileage warranty was void because the tires could not be rotated. like your MB, it ate tires in 20k .

DT neve brought up tire rotations in the S500 reference the two times I have had tires replaced with a mileage warranty.

I am glad you brought this up, as it might be a necessary action for DT to warranty tires that I was not aware of.

Last edited:
I have a 2005 Mercedes S500 with OEM staggered tire configuration. The rear tires I purchase always have a treadwear of 500 (or more) last no longer than 17k miles. I have tried Continental, Bridgestone, and even Goodyear tires once. Michelin highest treadwear for this S500 is 300, so I don't purchase Michelins for this vehicle. I have Michelins on all my other vehicles.

About two years ago I purchased Bridgestones for this S500 in Salt Lake City from Discount Tire. They lasted about 17k miles. The Bridgestones have a 50k mile warranty. Last year Discount Tire in Columbia, SC replaced the Bridgestone, with a very generous mileage credit. I now live in the Seattle area, and the rear tires had about 17k on them, and the tires worn below safe tread levels again. Discount Tire again replaced the tires with a very generous mileage credit.

The reason I post this- is the mileage credit is 100 percent hassle free. I don't need to provide receipts of the tire purchase, Bridgestone doesn't have to approve the credit. Discount Tire tracks the tire purchase to my VIN, they track the mileage. Completely hassle free.

Discount Tire, like all chain auto shops, have workmanship issues. But with their tire replacement policy being hassle free and no upsell, I am a customer for life. And of note, I am not one to ever send in for a rebate, or keep a receipt.
DT is the only way I fly. You just gotta understand Pro Rate and ask for it.

no stores in Pa, but bought tyres + wheels at times in the past BUT, lately their pricing can be beat as i buy what i want usually on line for the best DELIVERED cost + my local indy that gets most of my work i dont do mounts + balances @ $10 each + thats on the vehicle!! its rare to get the miles covered under warranty IMO but higher pricing of tyres prolly factor that in

That was my understanding as well - the SL600 has staggered wheels/tires.

I love my local DT as well. They had me in and out with new tires within 20 minutes of me walking in the door. My friend and I never had an issue with them for any previous time as well. It seems like mine has a lot of actual car guys working there to, judging by their cars.

no stores in Pa, but bought tyres + wheels at times in the past BUT, lately their pricing can be beat as i buy what i want usually on line for the best DELIVERED cost + my local indy that gets most of my work i dont do mounts + balances @ $10 each + thats on the vehicle!! its rare to get the miles covered under warranty IMO but higher pricing of tyres prolly factor that in
And who would that be from?

Last edited:
The only issue I've ever had with Discount tires is one time I had to buy 2 of the cheapest tires they sold.
I asked the guy where the tires were made and he said he didn't know and just stood there.
I said could you go look at the sidewall and see?
He was annoyed but did it and came back and said China.
I said thanks and left and went to a different Discount location and bought the tires.

I only strayed from Discount when WM had an excellent deal on Goodyear Reliant's for the wife's car, but I normally stick with them because of their "take care of it" attitude.

I do not buy premium tires for my escape, and I had a no name tire under certificate that had a non-repairable flat. They said all they had was a new michelin to put on there, free no questions asked. $199 tire.

Now mind you I now have a car with three different tires on it, but i'm still rolling down the road.

To be fair, there is a DT store in Pittsburgh :sneaky:

But yeah, they're afraid of the northeast for some reason even though it would be a good business decision to come up here :(

We’ve got a new one 6 miles from me, but I keep driving 45 minutes to the one I found before that is awesome. They are so good I’m not interested in risking it!

We’ve got a new one 6 miles from me, but I keep driving 45 minutes to the one I found before that is awesome. They are so good I’m not interested in risking it!
While I can somewhat understand the possible concern of going to the newer DT store, having had tire sales and/or service experience at ~5 different DT stores over the years, I've found them all to deliver consistent satisfactory results. Even dealt with one newer NC store ~200 miles from my location, entirely over the phone. It was for a family member, from sale, installation and service after the sale, went great. So personally, I wouldn't fear going to the new store, especially with current gas prices.

Otoh, if I didn't have a b&m DT store nearby, I would be willing to drive some distance to purchase from DT.

Back