Guard to seek volunteers for border

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The government is developing plans to seek up to 1,500 National Guard volunteers to step up the military's counter-drug efforts along the Mexican border, senior administration officials said Monday.

The plan is a stopgap measure being worked out between the Defense Department and the Homeland Security Department, and comes despite Pentagon concerns about committing more troops to the border — a move some officials worry will be seen as militarizing the region.

Senior administration officials said the Guard program will last no longer than a year and would build on an existing counter-drug operation. They said the program, which would largely be federally funded, would draw on National Guard volunteers from the four border states. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the details have not been finalized.

Officials said the program would mainly seek out guard members for surveillance, intelligence analysis and aviation support. Guard units would also supply ground troops who could assist at border crossings and with land and air transportation

Quote:
The additional volunteers, officials said, would largely be drawn from the more than 50,000 Army and Air National Guard members in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. There are no plans to seek Guard members from other states, although that has not been ruled out.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gVWYsUNVZa7k5JPqAi16kk0GzrTwD994KCN00
We have to ask for volunteers to patrol our border...but we can pay for tattoo removal.
33.gif

Just declare the border a free fire zone. Put a bounty on illegals if you really want to see border control. There may be some friendly fire casualties ..but you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Now you can extend that to resident illegals ..but first offer them enlistment in the American Foreign Legion for front line positions in foreign lands. Grant them citizenship for successful completion of their tour(s-s-s-s-s-s- oops).

Problem solved ..and all at a banging savings in avoided costs.

Well, my only thought is that we've got plenty of "well organized militias" that are just itching to get some real practice in (that's only semi-tongue in cheek).

While I probably wouldn't travel to perform the duty, I think that citizens defending their sovereign borders from illegal and unauthorized alien invaders isn't criminal ..nor immoral. I don't really care what their intentions are.

Now if someone wants to allow us all to "import a domestic" for room and board ..then we may have the room.

Gary- Here is my solution to this dilemma. We open all of our borders and let them all in with 1 stipulation. They must enlist in the U.S. Army for a period of 6 years. After they are all here and enlisted, We declare war on Mexico and send them all back!

Volunteer just means they aren't title 32 activated (mandatory federal service). they get no extra war fighter benefits like they would for going to SWA for example. It is the same as when the ANG and NG does forest firefighting. Do you guys have any idea how much these "volunteers" get paid and how much they cost? I do, it's an expensive option.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
The government is developing plans to seek up to 1,500 National Guard volunteers to step up the military's counter-drug efforts along the Mexican border, senior administration officials said Monday.

The plan is a stopgap measure being worked out between the Defense Department and the Homeland Security Department, and comes despite Pentagon concerns about committing more troops to the border — a move some officials worry will be seen as militarizing the region.

Senior administration officials said the Guard program will last no longer than a year and would build on an existing counter-drug operation. They said the program, which would largely be federally funded, would draw on National Guard volunteers from the four border states. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the details have not been finalized.

Officials said the program would mainly seek out guard members for surveillance, intelligence analysis and aviation support. Guard units would also supply ground troops who could assist at border crossings and with land and air transportation

Quote:
The additional volunteers, officials said, would largely be drawn from the more than 50,000 Army and Air National Guard members in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. There are no plans to seek Guard members from other states, although that has not been ruled out.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gVWYsUNVZa7k5JPqAi16kk0GzrTwD994KCN00
We have to ask for volunteers to patrol our border...but we can pay for tattoo removal.
33.gif

Here's your chance, Tempest. Do your duty as an American and join the Guard, then volunteer to do border duty. Ha! Maybe you'll luck out instead and get a ride to Afghanistan.
Or does your..."group" prefer to stay stateside?

What is your signature line supposed to mean?
Quote:
The illusion of separateness is the foundation of human suffering.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I do, it's an expensive option.

Naturally.

In the scorched earth aftermath when the tide has shifted... ask California and most of the lower 48 what the cost was of not doing it.

Originally Posted By: Julian
Quote:

It's a Buddhist thing, if it needs explanation, you wouldn't get it anyway.
Ponder it and see what you come up with.

So anyway, what are you, a genius or a magician?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Naturally.

In the scorched earth aftermath when the tide has shifted... ask California and most of the lower 48 what the cost was of not doing it.

It looks to me like a stop gap until they can pull their head out.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Originally Posted By: Julian
Quote:

It's a Buddhist thing, if it needs explanation, you wouldn't get it anyway.
Ponder it and see what you come up with.

So anyway, what are you, a genius or a magician?
In that context, it actually means "genie". It's a line from a movie, like the last couple ones (all from the same movie, matter of fact). The Devil and Dr. Fausto are having a couple drinks at a party and Dr. Fausto asks the Devil if he can make a wish for someone [else] to take care of his assistant, Julia. Fausto gives the Devil a hard time for saying "don't worry" instead of "granted", and then starts to walk away. The Devil asks where he's going and Fausto replies: "Take a [censored] guess, aren't you a genie?" Then the Devil says: "Genies never guess. Those are magicians." It's kind of dry humor.
grin2.gif

The Buddhist thing isn't setting anything off, so I don't want to strain myself. If Buddhist rules are that I have to come up with an answer for myself in order for it to make sense, I think I've already got that part down. I'm curious why people have a fondness for referring to things as "illusions" though if they carry such a punch. "Hallucinogens" can really be a misnomer too in a lot of senses. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Naturally.

It looks to me like a stop gap until they can pull their head out.

It's a ploy to make the mainstream media report that they're sending the guard to control the border, knowing fully well it won't do squat to stop illegal immigration. It's a SMOKE SCREEN. It's about votes. It's about keeping themselves in power, regardless of the consequences.

We could hermetically seal our border in a month flat if we wanted to.

Last edited:
I hope it works, but I'm not too sure because of the type of self control they are going to have. I certainly wouldn't want trigger happy volunteer that would shoot anything that move in border patrol, but if they are only in the support role like driving trucks, looking into the camera, admin work, that's fine.

The drug smuggling problem IMO is bigger than the human trafficking, and we really need to stop that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back