GTX high mileage vs Penzoil high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one has had better analysis results? I use GTX high mileage right now because MaxLife isn't as good as it used to be plus regular GTX is a better oil than Valvoline.

Jason

I don't know anyone in here that is running either of these oils, let alone seeing any used oil results yet. Any takers?

[ February 05, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I was on the mobil one website looking around and under the "facts" section they stated that the use of higher mileage oils that contain seal conditioners can actually make the seals too soft (cause leaks), and they also stated that Mobil one can used in higher mileage engines without causing leaks, kind of interesting.

Well, I know "nothing" about Castrol high mileage oil, and "next to nothing" about Pennzoil. So I went with Pennzoil. Thin logic, I know. But that's why I did it.

Everything I learned about Pennzoil I learned on this site. Getting meaningful info on Castrol is tough. If I knew more about it, I could have just as easily gone with that brand. I do use Castrol's 5W20 in another vehicle.

With 84K miles, my 95 van developed a leak in the rear seal area after I put Val DuraBlend in it for the first time. Always used reg dino up until then and the outside of the engine was bone dry. Thought I was so smart upgrading the oil too. Anyway, the Pennzoil HM oil had a noticeable slowdown on the leaks right off, but didn't stop them completely. I suspect the Castrol HM oil would have had similar results, but of course, I'll never know. I'm on the 2nd change with Pennzoil right now and will wait further to see if the leaks slowly improve. If not, I'm seriously considering the auto-rx stuff everyone raves about here, as I still hope this is an oil induced leak and not a mechanical problem that coincidently developed at the same time. Crazy van only starts to leak after it sits undriven for a few days. If I drive it all week, it doesn't leak.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I don't know anyone in here that is running either of these oils, let alone seeing any used oil results yet. Any takers?

OK, I'm the taker!
smile.gif

You guys probably think I'm totally nuts, but I've rethought my mom's oil changes yet again. Now instead of putting GTX in her car this summer, I'm going to try out the GTX high mileage instead. It's on sale this week at Canadian Tire, $3 per liter (instead of $4) so I figured why not. Now I just need to figure out what the heck I'm gonna do with the three 4L jugs of GTX I have (two are 5w30, one is 10w30) Maybe I'll just give them away.
smile.gif

An "oil induced leak" is an interesting concept.

I, too have what may well turn out to have been one... I hope.

One change @ home with Havolene Semi-Synthetic 10W-30 and my SVX leaked a little (from cam seals or, possibly, the front main) vs. the typical free 3K (also Havolene 10W-30) dino & filter @ the dealership. Went back 300 miles ago and the leak has gradually disappeared. So, no Auto-RX yet...

It could be the oil, I guess. Maybe something else: I did try all the suggested SVX-specific fixes including replacing the OH!-so-hard-to-remove PCV valve, new o-rings on the oil cap and dipstick tube. We'll see what summer temperatures bring.

I've been reading this board extensively and Penzoil seems like it just may turn out to be the true "sleeper" brand? The 15W-40 works just great in the 420SEL.
cheers.gif

p.s. CHEVRON Supreme (a forum favorite?) is $0.99 per quart @ GI Joe's in 30 wt., 5&10W-30 & 10W-40

quote:

You guys probably think I'm totally nuts, but I've rethought my mom's oil changes yet again. Now instead of putting GTX in her car this summer, I'm going to try out the GTX high mileage instead. It's on sale this week at Canadian Tire, $3 per liter (instead of $4) so I figured why not. Now I just need to figure out what the heck I'm gonna do with the three 4L jugs of GTX I have (two are 5w30, one is 10w30) Maybe I'll just give them away.
smile.gif

Why don't you save it and compare UOA with the two products?

IMHO, use the regular GTX unless you mom's car displays some seal related oil consumption. The money saved can be used to buy her (mom) something nice (eg: mid winter flowers)!!!
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SPITMAN:
IMHO, use the regular GTX unless you mom's car displays some seal related oil consumption. The money saved can be used to buy her (mom) something nice (eg: mid winter flowers)!!!
rolleyes.gif

Well her car does have over 130k on it, and it does leak and burn a bit of oil. I'm doing an Auto-rx treatment on it right now actually.

But the reason for using this oil is more of curiosity. I think the thicker viscosity might be better for her engine too, as GTX HM 5w30 is 11.9cst while M1 is less than 10 (that's what is in there now)

I think I'll use one of the 4L GTX jugs as a flushing oil. When I drain her current oil, I'll put in the 4L jug, run it for a minute, then drain it. Crazy, yes. But I figure the GTX and GTX HM will have similar additive packs, so this isn't such a bad idea.

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:

quote:

smile.gif

Why don't you save it and compare UOA with the two products?

It's possible I will try the GTX out next year in my mom's car to compare it, I just wish she drove more miles so I could get her tests done quicker. I'm not going to know the results of the GTX HM testing until October or November now.

There are just so many oils, and so little test vehicles for me to use!
smile.gif

[ February 15, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back