GTL vs PAO vs Esters vs Grp 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys like?
Which holds up in fuel dilution and sheering. I havent read much about how pennzoil ultra sheers vs others. The VI is quite high

Which is a more pure oil? And what do you prefer?

I like cheap.

Either combination can be made to "hold up". Being pure means nothing to me. It's all about the final product.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
It's all about the final product.

+1

I like whatever combination of ingredients that when put together can achieve a particular mfg spec that my engine calls for. And the cheaper, the better.

Originally Posted By: rw19
What do you guys like?
Which holds up in fuel dilution and sheering. I havent read much about how pennzoil ultra sheers vs others. The VI is quite high

I tried asking this question not long ago. I got the same type of evasive non answers too.

I don't think anyone here knows which is best.

A high viscosity index Group II suits me just fine. Low cost, better than necessary protection, great value. If I want better flow properties I will go for a Group II/III blend. A lot of blends sell for just a couple dollars more that conventionals while being 30-50% Group III. No need for fancy stuff here.

Originally Posted By: rw19
What do you guys like?

From my experience they will all fuel dilute, in that case the higher viscosity the more leeway. IMO the true pao's and ester's offer better cleaning ability and less plaque buildup, in comparison to say a group 3 oil or even those group 3's that claim synthetic for long intervals.

Last edited:
Since you probably can't get an oil formulated with either ester or PAO basestocks only, it really doesn't matter.
What does matter is the perfomance of the finished product.
Any oil that meets the specs your engine requires will work just fine.
If you want something which might be better, Dexos 1 is a pretty solid spec.
Beyond that, there are the Euro specs, but those are for oils usually thicker than what most engines really need.
It isn't the basestock that matters.
It's the certs or specs met by the finished blend of basestocks and additives that counts.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I tried asking this question not long ago. I got the same type of evasive non answers too.

Just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean it was the wrong answer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean it was the wrong answer.

Exactly. Base stock hunting can lead to spending a lot of money foolishly, all to get something that is no better, or potentially even worse.

Prior to my time here at bitog I was of the belief that fake syns weren't as good as real ones and blah blah blah.
What truly matters is the spec. When Porsche says all oils that meet its spec are equal what does that tell ya.
If Porsche is of the belief that every approved oil is equal,and in their eyes they are the same who am I to question them. You'd think they'd know right.

I like them all. Doesn't matter. I like the end product and proof of performance.

I've never seen political correctness being so applied to motor oils.
lol.gif

We wouldn't want to hurt the other base stocks' feelings
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles
I've never seen political correctness being so applied to motor oils.
lol.gif

We wouldn't want to hurt the other base stocks' feelings
laugh.gif

You'd think these guys work as PR for oil companies.

Oh wait.

No one is evading your question. Each of the above base stocks have their pluses and weaknesses. Tribologists make a finished product out of various blends of different base stocks. That way, they can arrive at a final mix that will meet the specs they want it to meet. No oil will be only one base stock. Even back when Amsoil stated on their packaging that they were 100% PAO (Gr IV), they still had to use about 5-10% of the oil volume as Gr I or II for the additives to dissolve in. PAO has poor solubility and the additives would settle out of the mixture otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back