GTL flowing into Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The NOACK figures are in the 11%-12% range

Truth is you really don't have a clue what the NOAK of this oil is only what YOU THINK it may be.
Stop posting false information or back it up with a PDS!

Amsoils ss 0w30 NOAK is 7.8 and that's supposedly a PAO oil also.
Why are you not questioning their numbers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
The NOACK figures are in the 11%-12% range

Truth is you really don't have a clue what the NOAK of this oil is only what YOU THINK it may be.

Amsoils ss 0w30 NOAK is 7.8 and that's supposedly a PAO oil also.
Why are you not questioning their numbers?

Trav, re-read the post bud
smile.gif
He's saying that the NOACK figures on the 2010 PDS are in the 11-12% range, which they are if you take a look at it.

The ones regarded as "questionable" (by many including TomNJ) were figures in the 5% range on a sheet that has now been pulled off the Pennzoil site.

One of the Pennzoil engineers on the Pennzoil Q&A twitter chat said Ultra is PAO right now.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have a few different formulatinos at hand using different base oils such as GTL, PAO and or Group III+.

So if it is PAO, the NOACK figures wouldn't seem to be that odd. It's possible they are not putting that particular data sheet on the homepage because the formualtioni will change or has changed since then. Anyone's gues....

Originally Posted By: buster
One of the Pennzoil engineers on the Pennzoil Q&A twitter chat said Ultra is PAO right now.

They also said they use GTL, and it wasn't clear from their brief tweets whether both PAO and GTL were used in all PU grades or maybe PAO in some and GTL in others.

Quote:
Trav, re-read the post bud He's saying that the NOACK figures on the 2010 PDS are in the 11-12% range

Oh okay i understand now. Apologies!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I would imagine part of it includes Pennzoil Ultra, which uses a Group III+ GTL basestock. GTL basestock cleans like mad.

Total baloney. A fully saturated base oil like PAO and GTL would have next to no solvency (no aromatics) and therefore would have no cleaning properties whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Trav, re-read the post bud He's saying that the NOACK figures on the 2010 PDS are in the 11-12% range

Oh okay i understand now. Apologies!

No problem, I figured you'd appreciate having it pointed out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I would imagine part of it includes Pennzoil Ultra, which uses a Group III+ GTL basestock. GTL basestock cleans like mad.

Total baloney. A fully saturated base oil like PAO and GTL would have next to no solvency (no aromatics) and therefore would have no cleaning properties whatsoever.

This is what I have wondered about with Pennzoil's marketing for cleanliness, while it may keep an engine that is already clean, very clean. I don't see how it would perform a better cleaning job than a Grp. II/II+. Maybe it has some Grp. V?? Who knows
21.gif

It does appear to clean well though as I have seen PP and PU work quite well. Cleaned varnish off of a dipstick I couldn't get off with manually scrubbing with MMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

This is what I have wondered about with Pennzoil's marketing for cleanliness, while it may keep an engine that is already clean, very clean. I don't see how it would perform a better cleaning job than a Grp. II/II+. Maybe it has some Grp. V?? Who knows
21.gif

It does appear to clean well though as I have seen PP and PU work quite well. Cleaned varnish off of a dipstick I couldn't get off with manually scrubbing with MMO.

The cleaning comes from the additives, not the base oil(s). No modern Group II, III, or IV base oil is going to do much in the way of cleaning because they contain very little aromatics (Group II) to zero aromatics (Group IV). Group V esters can have some cleaning effect, but even then the base oil is pulling double duty and there will be other detergent/dispersant additives in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back