Group-pay VOA of new Havoline "Deposit Sield"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Forum likes to have periodic VOAs of Havoline and especially so with the new "Deposit Shield" formulation and price increase. I already have a couple of guys kicking-in $5 which is generous. Contributions of $2 are welcome and I'll list the names of all who send donations toward the endevour, as is common practice at BitOG.

So far:
Laminar Lou-$5
Greggy D-$5

A few more dollars would help, I suspect VOA cost is $25 now, so another $10 plus my donation would probally do it.

Here is my EMail for PayPal: [email protected]

Sample will go out asap in Jan.
cool.gif

Pardon my ignorance on the subject of VOA but is it able to pick out every additive as well as the base oils used? Can you determine what depositshield is by doing a VOA? The cost of doing one sounds reasonable and I was wondering what they were able to tell you from the VOA.

A $25 VOA will tell you levels of various elements in the oil, viscosity and Total Base Number.
If the additives don't show up as one of 30 or so elements, they won't show up in a $25 VOA, but nonetheless it is the first step in any serious investigation into a formulation.

Yeah, this one has the needle in the red range on my curiosity meter.

I'd like to know whether the same moly levels will be maintained, even if the "deposit shield" components don't show up as metallic adds in the VOA.

The reference to "coating" the engine makes me wonder if a polar qualities of an ester will be utilized.

I'll pitch in with a PayPal payment & thanks for taking the initiative on this one, Auto-Union!

I actually never did a VOA before. This seems like as good a reason as any to do one. I'm not sweating the money, I'll kick-in whatever it takes, but it's nice to not have to slap down $25 myself. Doing the VOA as a group is very much in the spirit of the Forum. I'll be taking care of it asap. Sill, one or two more PayPal hits will make it ~easier~. I'm happy to help out with my own efforts.

I'm no expert but hasn't it been said by the pros here that a VOA really doesn't tell you how an oil will actually perform and protect an engine?
dunno.gif

Last edited:
That would appear true but I think we're all curious to see if ANYTHING changed compared to the previous version of Havoline.

Auto-Union Email me I will do them for you send a new and OLD sample of same vis grade and I will run them for free Christmass present for all.
bruce

Quote:

Auto-Union Email me I will do them for you send a new and OLD sample of same vis grade and I will run them for free Christmass present for all.
bruce

Merry Christmas Bruce! On behalf of many Havoline diehards here, thanks for the generous offer.
grin.gif

What a guy! I just bought a bunch of quarts, and have probably the most recent of the old Havoline made. Want a sample? We DO have a year and a hlf old VOA on SM 5W20, the one that shows 406 PPM on the moly number. You still going to run an old-style Havoline VOA?

Boy, wouldn't it be a kick in the head to find the old formula changed, eh?

That sounds really good. I'll PayPal the guys money back or just send it to Bruce. Here is one thing though. I'd like to see the old "Black" Havoline sample to be old. Old like in 6mo-1 year. My nephew has a 1/2 bottle that is like 6 mo, open...but resealed. I'd hate to see some new blend in Black bottle to confuse the UOA. What do you guys think? Bruce, we'll get together on this next week.

I agree. The sample should be rather old. You never know if they started the new blend but needed to use up some old bottles.

Go ahead and send my donation to Bruce with the samples.
smile.gif

Hmm, sending Bruce the funds just seemed so easy. Please reconsider. I will have only minimal costs with aquiring the oil and shipping it, sorta wanted to send all the leftover cash to Bruce as that was the general intent of the donators. Fallback plan would be to send it to BitOG donatation link. I could return it to the senders, but after that many PayPal fees it would be half gone. No problem, I just want everyone to be happy and to get the task done.

If you refund the orginal amount that each user sent you, I don't think there is any fees deducted.

I've done it a few times when the buyer would not provide a confirmed address and no fees were taken..

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back