Group IV synthetic; 5W30; readily available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you couldn't run M1 SS 5W30 (too much burnoff)and you wanted a group IV synthetic and you didn't want to mail order what are the options?

Syntec is out. GC is not 5W30.

I know someone that is in this situation. He won't run anything other than 5W30 and wants a group IV.

Why can't he run GC? 0w-30 can be run in place of 5w-30 and is thicker than M1 - therefore less chance of burn-off.

There are some Amsoil retailers in spots. I have a store about 20 miles away that carries the full line of Amsoil products (I still mail order it due to the price change of prefered membership).

Some specialty shops carry Redline - just look around or ask around - they may be able to order it for you.

quote:

Originally posted by Grease is the word:
...and you didn't want to mail order what are the options?

Does a fone call count as 'mail order?

One can't do better than Red line, in mine and lots of others' opinions, and the 5W-30 has NO viscosity-index improvers.

quote:

If you couldn't run M1 SS 5W30 (too much burnoff)and you wanted a group IV synthetic and you didn't want to mail order what are the options?

In the past, some claimed that Philips 66 synthetic 5W-30 was group IV base stock. But I don't recall seeing any proof of that or whether currently it is group IV. Does anyone know?

I have been using M1, 5-30, with a few 10-30 fills, in all my vehicles for at least 17 years and have never had abnormal usage with this oil. The oil (5-30)is now in a '97 Town Car with 71k miles--purchased used, with 66k miles. The oil has now 2900 miles on it with about 90% hwy driving, and is still on the full(over) mark.

If a little better than half PAO counts, then Havoline/Chevron synthetic may be an option.
wink.gif

quote:

It looks like Shell , Phillips and Conoco have gone the way of group III for this year leaving Quaker State as the only entirely pao 5-30 10-30 that I can think of available over the counter .

Both the Q-States are A3 oils .

Motorbike, not to question your claim. But how did you make that determination? Simply by the A3 rating or do you have some other evidence. If you are correct that is very cool.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
Motorbike, not to question your claim. But how did you make that determination? Simply by the A3 rating or do you have some other evidence. If you are correct that is very cool.

The Q-State MSDS and the 68037-01-4 CAS number for the PAO they use . The revision date shows it is current .

Even their new 5w-20 and the 5w-50 are Pao based oils .

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/techdata/msds.asp

[ January 22, 2004, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

That is what I get for cas 68037014 also - PAO. Never thought I'd say this, but I may be switching to QS
grin.gif
. Thank you for the info, It never occurred to me to check QS
dunno.gif

So is the QS Synthetic a group IV?

The reason this guy won't run Amsoil or Redline is because he can't buy them off the shelf and he hasn't heard of them (just an average joe consumer). He also won't budge off of the 5W30 recommended weight.

I wanted to recommend another synthetic besides M1 and wanted to steer him to a group IV in the process.

Thanks!

Good info. I've been looking for an alternative to GC for the dub. The car runs sluggish with GC (well compared to Synpower 5w-40), but Synpower shears. A good 5w-30 A3, group IV is exactly what I've been looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back