Group III Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VinceF
Johnny, what's your opinion of Quaker State Q, or Mobil 1 synthetics? Since Shell owns QS and Pennz, are they the same process?

I have a new normally aspirated Subaru, and was going to switch to synthetics, after 2 changes of mineral oil, and ran into the Group 3/synthetic situation. I picked up the Q and 1 on sale to save a few bucks. If the Sube was a turbo, I would go with a full synthetic, but just want a better oil at a more reasonable price. The group 3's sound like a good deal for less extreme motors or driving. I keep my cars a long time but don't put a lot of miles on them, and would like to keep sludge down, and have a better performing oil.

VF

VF

I am biased towards the Pennzoil Platinum. I believe it uses a better additive package than the Q synthetics. Mobil 1 is still mostly PAO based and has a slightly better pour point but I believe the Platinum will go head to head with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Oh wow, I was reading this thread without noticing it was another old thread pulled from the past. The Pennzoil refinery in Louisiana making group III threw me for a loop. I have some of the old SJ and SL Pennzoil Synth made here in Shreveport but I knew that plant was long sold to Calumet. The stuff still works fine in my cars, though.
LOL.gif

Pennzoil never made synthetics in Shreveport. Shreveport made Group I base stocks back in the day. The Group II, II+, III refinery was the Excel Paralubes joint venture with Conoco in Lafayette, LA.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Oh wow, I was reading this thread without noticing it was another old thread pulled from the past. The Pennzoil refinery in Louisiana making group III threw me for a loop. I have some of the old SJ and SL Pennzoil Synth made here in Shreveport but I knew that plant was long sold to Calumet. The stuff still works fine in my cars, though.
LOL.gif

Pennzoil never made synthetics in Shreveport. Shreveport made Group I base stocks back in the day. The Group II, II+, III refinery was the Excel Paralubes joint venture with Conoco in Lafayette, LA.

I worked on the expansion project at Calumet in Louisiana. Hopefully Calumet's stock will reflect the expansion. That was a 50 dollar stock now trading at around 14 bucks Johnny.

LOL.gif

Well they must have at least packaged them there b/c my Pennzoil Synth bottles say SHVPT or something to that effect on the code on the bottle base.
21.gif
I was looking at them yesterday thinking I needed to keep a full one for posterity.

Okay, had my wonderful wife go outside to the strategic petroleum reserve to read off a bottle. Here's what it says...

SHVPO0311020829L456069-6

I assumed that meant Shreveport. I guess I could be wrong, though, b/c you're right, I don't ever remember anyone talking about group III coming from there.

Yes, it was packaged there. That was Pennzoil's largest blending and packaging plant at the time. They also made their own bottles at that plant. That was quite a process to see. Also at the time, all of the Jet-A fuel for American Airlines was made at the Shreveport refinery.

Ah, that makes sense then. I drive past that refinery on I-20 every day. My kids love it when there's a flare off or whatever. It's almost caused me a few wrecks when they yell "Look Daddy! A FIRE!"

This is what I like to see.Johnny who works for Pennzoil knows what is talking about when he described Pennzoil Platinum.I liked his answer.I did not know that Pennzoil has total control of their product.Great answer.Joe

Slight upgrade. I worked for Pennzoil, I am now retired. Shell still has pretty tight control over all their products.

ericp, the price posted on your attachment are selling prices for those group of base stocks. Shell does not sell it's Group III to anyone on the open market. They use all that they produce.

ericp, the price posted on your attachment are selling prices for those group of base stocks. Shell does not sell it's Group III to anyone on the open market. They use all that they produce.

Do you know the volume of Group III that Shell produces in the USA? I do not recall seeing it on the Lubes & Greases base oil map.

http://www.lngpublishing.com/BaseStockGuide/index.cfm

Johnny, what happened to Wolf's Head oil? I don't see it listed on their product list.

Shell sold the Wolf's Head brand to Amalie in Tampa, FL.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. Didn't know that.

Does anybody out there run Wolf's Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back