Group III synthetic oil volatility in a 2018 5.0L F-150

Generally boils down to:

Gen 1: 5.0
Gen 2: 3.5l
Any: 2.7l
Seems that way...

The twin-turbo 2.7L seems stout and to be a good engine, though I wouldn't stress one with a great amount of heavy towing. Use the 3.5L EB and the earlier 5.0 V-8 engines for that duty. Outside the that, the 2.7L is a slick, reliable motor. Same with its bigger brother, the 3.5L. Stay outta the boost, and the mileage should be great. :)

I wonder how the 3.5L hybrid will do over time? We'll have to wait a year or three and see what develops. It's quite the overall package!

I would like to know if there is something that has been addressed with the replacement 5.0 or is it just hit and miss if you get a good one? I like the extra 40hp in my 2019, but I never thought my 2012 was underpowered either. If I have to sacrifice reliability I would gladly loose the extra power for the reliability of my 2012. Hopefully my new engine will be problem free, but only time will tell.

The 2.7 seems to be a great engine, but I wonder how a small twin turbo on a large truck will be once they get to 150-200K? I guess there has to be some out there by now?

Seems that way...

The twin-turbo 2.7L seems stout and to be a good engine, though I wouldn't stress one with a great amount of heavy towing. Use the 3.5L EB and the earlier 5.0 V-8 engines for that duty. Outside the that, the 2.7L is a slick, reliable motor. Same with its bigger brother, the 3.5L. Stay outta the boost, and the mileage should be great. :)

I wonder how the 3.5L hybrid will do over time? We'll have to wait a year or three and see what develops. It's quite the overall package!
Yes, it's universally known that if you're going to tow somewhat moderate amounts of weight, the 2.7l is automatically out of the equation.

Yes, it's universally known that if you're going to tow somewhat moderate amounts of weight, the 2.7l is automatically out of the equation.
The 2.7 is now rated to tow 10k lbs in the properly (chassis) configured truck. It is built the strongest of all the engines in the lineup with a CGI block and exhaust manifolds integrated into the heads. It's greatest issue is oil weeping from the plastic oil pan on some trucks. Otherwise it's a monster. It would have been my choice in 2016 if it came on a crew cab long box 4x4, but that was reserved for the 3.5TT.

Back