Group III synthetic oil volatility in a 2018 5.0L F-150

I have a 2018 F-150 with a 5.0L engine with GDI and PFI fuel delivery. I currently have Mobil 5w20 extended mileage synthetic in it. It has 29,000 miles. This oil has 3,500 miles on it and is a quart low. I previously had Valvoline 5w20 synthetic in it with same problem but don't remember the mileage at which I added oil. I do not run this pickup hard. It's mostly a grocery hauler. The temperature gauge runs normal. With the reading I have done, I'm leaning towards an oil volatility problem. Would a PAO Group IV oil solve the problem. I have a problem finding oil volatility readings on different brands of oil in the Group III oils. Also with this engine having partial GDI fuel delivery along with PFI, is there a problem with carbon buildup on valves.

Oil usage is very common in the 2018+ 5.0 GDI. Out of three close friends with them they all consumed more than yours.

and they would swear to that in court?
Why does it matter, we aren't in court. I guess I have no reason not to believe them yet, so we will see. They have backed me so far so I'm not complaining. Just hope the new engine is not a dud.

As an ex delaer tech I know they would say something like that, A so the product they sold or sell doesn't look bad and B, so you won't have a bad feeling about your car. They definitely won't say "here's number 1001, guys"

I have a 2018 F-150 with a 5.0L engine with GDI and PFI fuel delivery. I currently have Mobil 5w20 extended mileage synthetic in it. It has 29,000 miles. This oil has 3,500 miles on it and is a quart low. I previously had Valvoline 5w20 synthetic in it with same problem but don't remember the mileage at which I added oil. I do not run this pickup hard. It's mostly a grocery hauler. ...
Wow, you must haul load of groceries! :)

#1 You've got exercise the thing. I do understand there may be few opportunities. Problem with all these "Race Tuned" engines on the street with high RPM, excessive and unneeded power, they never get run on their upper torque peak except for a couple seconds in rare occassions. Who wants to suck down gallons of gas for no good reason?

#2 There exist no "Volatility" problem in Passenger car motor oils. This is internet promoted frenzy blather - as usual.

Since FORD dropped the ball, ask them for a FORD Godzilla Big block pushrod engine replacement :)
I FORD was smart they would de- bore this engine to around 6 litres and make it the base V8.

I'm sure they will take care of you. I hope you have a good Service Mgr and good mechanics at your dealer.

- Ken

Is it still a cost savings to the manufacturer if they push out faulty products instead of putting more money and effort into making them not faulty to begin with? At what point do they loose a bunch of money dropping new engines into vehicles before they even hit 20K on the odometer? I can imagine they can only push back on fixing their own mistakes so much by doing the old, "you're checking your dipstick wrong"

I know a few engineers who all complain about the bean counters having too much say in pushing out knowingly faulty designs, which in many cases comes back to bite the company in the keester. What's scary, is that some of them work in aerospace, but on non flight-critical parts, thankfully.

So, the magic dip stick dident repair the oil consumption.
That was never meant to fix the problem, just show a wider operating range. They hold 9 qts, so you aren't going to blow up with 7.
This. And make it longer that you'd need to add oil due to consumption.

"With 7-8 qts, I had to add oil every week!"

"With 9qts, I only have to add oil every month!"

This. And make it longer that you'd need to add oil due to consumption.

"With 7-8 qts, I had to add oil every week!"

"With 9qts, I only have to add oil every month!"
No. They have always and still hold 9 quarts. With the new dipstick they say it can operate safely down to the add mark at 7 qts instead 8 with the old dipstick. They didn't change oil capacity, the full mark is still 9 quarts.

No. They have always and still hold 9 quarts. With the new dipstick they say it can operate safely down to the add mark at 7 qts instead 8 with the old dipstick. They didn't change oil capacity, the full mark is still 9 quarts.
it was tongue in cheek, making fun of Ford for their dumbassery

Just heard from the dealer an hour ago. They are replacing the engine with a new long block in 2 weeks. He said they have only had to replace one other that they have sold. Hopefully the new one is a good one.
If the engine has some miles on it, I’d have them consider doing the heads too.

Is it still a cost savings to the manufacturer if they push out faulty products instead of putting more money and effort into making them not faulty to begin with? At what point do they loose a bunch of money dropping new engines into vehicles before they even hit 20K on the odometer? I can imagine they can only push back on fixing their own mistakes so much by doing the old, "you're checking your dipstick wrong"

I know a few engineers who all complain about the bean counters having too much say in pushing out knowingly faulty designs, which in many cases comes back to bite the company in the keester. What's scary, is that some of them work in aerospace, but on non flight-critical parts, thankfully.
Amen brutha.

I owned 2 of the 2013 F150s with the 5.0. Neither used measurable oil in 10,000 miles, no matter the climate or driving habits. Usage varied from super cold and short trips (Montana) to super hot with lots of highway (Arizona/NM/TX).

It's a shame. Ford had a bulletproof, low maintenance great performing engine and had to ruin it in the quest to squeeze out another .05 mpg and 10hp.

I want to like Ford. I like many if not most of their products but **** if they don’t seem to get caught with their pants around their ankles more than most for what always seems like egregious money saving decisions that totally bite them in the ass. I know it happens to all manufacturers but we’re not all that far removed from the dry clutch transmission fiasco.

My buddy has one of these and is currently on a dealer monitored oil consumption test. I think it's pretty common, they told him he may wind up with a new engine, which kind of shocked me, although it hasn't actually happened yet either.
The dealer took his truck apart to work on the engine (removing the cab!). They installed new head assemblies on the original short block, which seemed odd to me. In any event, it's still burning a quart a thousand and dealer is back in contact with the factory service folks to determine the next step. These warranty repairs have to be costing Ford a lot of dough.

Amen brutha.

I owned 2 of the 2013 F150s with the 5.0. Neither used measurable oil in 10,000 miles, no matter the climate or driving habits. Usage varied from super cold and short trips (Montana) to super hot with lots of highway (Arizona/NM/TX).

It's a shame. Ford had a bulletproof, low maintenance great performing engine and had to ruin it in the quest to squeeze out another .05 mpg and 10hp.
Yep. I wouldn't buy this year's 5.0 or any recent year. Too bad...

Perhaps the Godzilla engine is the way-to-go. Though, I hear Ford needs to make minor wiring changes to this model. Thankfully, nothing too drastic, only wiring rerouting.

The dealer took his truck apart to work on the engine (removing the cab!). They installed new head assemblies on the original short block, which seemed odd to me. In any event, it's still burning a quart a thousand and dealer is back in contact with the factory service folks to determine the next step. These warranty repairs have to be costing Ford a lot of dough.
They wanted to do the same to my truck as well, but apparently they couldn't get heads for about 5 or 6 weeks. The dealer told me Ford has a policy if parts are more than 2 weeks out they will replace the engine. They said after letting the truck sit overnight they could see oil in the cylinders, so they assumed it was coming through the head.

So far with the new engine I don't have any consumption that I can see in about 1200 miles, so we will see how it holds up.

I asked if they had to remove the cab to change the engine and he told me no, so maybe heads are different?

Back