Group III synthetic oil volatility in a 2018 5.0L F-150

I have a 2018 F-150 with a 5.0L engine with GDI and PFI fuel delivery. I currently have Mobil 5w20 extended mileage synthetic in it. It has 29,000 miles. This oil has 3,500 miles on it and is a quart low. I previously had Valvoline 5w20 synthetic in it with same problem but don't remember the mileage at which I added oil. I do not run this pickup hard. It's mostly a grocery hauler. The temperature gauge runs normal. With the reading I have done, I'm leaning towards an oil volatility problem. Would a PAO Group IV oil solve the problem. I have a problem finding oil volatility readings on different brands of oil in the Group III oils. Also with this engine having partial GDI fuel delivery along with PFI, is there a problem with carbon buildup on valves.

no, if it's GDI and PFI both, there's no fauling of intake valves.

Extend your searches to include 0W-20 oils, they will need at least some PAO to get to their winter rating.

2018 was the year they moved the 5.0 to plasma wire transfer arc cylinder liners i think the oil burning issues may have started then, ?
My 2015 does not burn a noticeable amount in a 10000 kilometer oci.
Currently have 90000 k on it.

You are aware of all the problems with the new gen 5.0l and oil consumption, right? As well as the TSBs to "fix it" and the new dipstick?

Wow, Ford full of hacks now.....vacuum and not a volatility issue.

Get the TSB/recall completed.

I'd wager excessive vacuum would draw less thicker than thinner oil.... use a 5w30 synth oil, and if location allows, a 10w30.

So the fix is to allow 2 quarts of oil consumption prior to topping off. Yes, the new dipstick means you can run 2 quarts low, and not just 1 quart low, before requiring a top off. I guess they are catering to the ignorant that don't know how to pop a hood. Or maybe Ford understand that too many owners would use a "consumer alert" oil from PQIA. https://pqia.org/advisoriesconsumer-alerts-and-dont-buys/

Consider Mobil1 ESP x2 0w20 or equivalent competitor VAG/Porsche/STLR oil if you're stuck on the 20 grade. I'd thumb my nose at the greenies and use a Dexos1 5w30, and then even a Dexos2 5w30 or 504/507/LL type oil, while monitoring oil consumption to see if it changes among the grades/types of oil.

Attachments

• idiotstickhackedengineersatford.jpeg
    idiotstickhackedengineersatford.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 108
I wonder how a 10W30 in summer and a 5W30 in winter would work in helping control oil consumption?

Once they start issuing replacement dip sticks you know they are on the back foot. I’ve heard of others doing it too.

I wonder how a 10W30 in summer and a 5W30 in winter would work in helping control oil consumption?

Once they start issuing replacement dip sticks you know they are on the back foot. I’ve heard of others doing it too.
Are you thinking there is oil consumption before the engine reaches operating temperature?

2018 was the year they moved the 5.0 to plasma wire transfer arc cylinder liners i think the oil burning issues may have started then, ?
My 2015 does not burn a noticeable amount in a 10000 kilometer oci.
Currently have 90000 k on it.
My buddy has one of these and is currently on a dealer monitored oil consumption test. I think it's pretty common, they told him he may wind up with a new engine, which kind of shocked me, although it hasn't actually happened yet either.

So the fix is to allow 2 quarts of oil consumption prior to topping off. Yes, the new dipstick means you can run 2 quarts low, and not just 1 quart low, before requiring a top off. I guess they are catering to the ignorant that don't know how to pop a hood. Or maybe Ford understand that too many owners would use a "consumer alert" oil from PQIA.
What makes you assume that the new dipstick range is extended to the low side?
Maybe it is to the high side or 50/50.

I certainly have not been able to discern which is the case based on the information in this thread.

Wow, technology really has come a long way. Software and a magic dip stick repairs oil consumption where in the past, a rebuild was the answer.

I have a 2019 that is waiting for an engine replacement. Used 4.5qts in the first 5000. Did the TSB and it used about 1 qt the second 5000 (this included a long trip from MN to WY/CO, so lots of HWY miles). Currently has used 2 qts in about 3200 miles.

What makes you assume that the new dipstick range is extended to the low side?
Maybe it is to the high side or 50/50.

I certainly have not been able to discern which is the case based on the information in this thread.
Pretty sure it is just to add a 2 qt operating range instead of the normal 1 qt. I'm sure it is safe since they hold 9qts of oil.

I have a 2019 that is waiting for an engine replacement. Used 4.5qts in the first 5000. Did the TSB and it used about 1 qt the second 5000 (this included a long trip from MN to WY/CO, so lots of HWY miles). Currently has used 2 qts in about 3200 miles.
Ouch.

Just heard from the dealer an hour ago. They are replacing the engine with a new long block in 2 weeks. He said they have only had to replace one other that they have sold. Hopefully the new one is a good one.

One of my neighbors brothers owns a 2020 FX4 F150. He said he's on his 2nd engine and Ford wants to install another one. Now, I don't know if what he says is true or not, but he did say the current 5.0 in his truck is consuming a lot of oil. He said Ford flashed it but it's still using oil. Maybe Ford has installed 2 engines and a 3rd will be in there soon? 🤷‍♂️

One of my neighbors brothers owns a 2020 FX4 F150. He said he's on his 2nd engine and Ford wants to install another one. Now, I don't know if what he says is true or not, but he did say the current 5.0 in his truck is consuming a lot of oil. He said Ford flashed it but it's still using oil. Maybe Ford has installed 2 engines and a 3rd will be in there soon? 🤷‍♂️
That doesn't sound right, but who knows. I would ask for a buy back under the lemon law. My dealer said they have only had to replace one other engine like mine and they are a pretty big dealer.

Back