group III, group IV, group V oils??

Status
Not open for further replies.
No such thing. We can guess, but only the companies themselves know for sure and they won't tell you straight up.

Although, some will make it sound like they're telling you straight up. But that's a different story.
wink.gif

They use what's best for the job. Sometimes that's one particular group, sometimes it's a mix of two or three. The best thing to do is to look at what your car needs, look at the specs that the oil meets, and go from there.

what do you guys know for sure is group 3 or 4, that itself will be good enough

what is valvoline synpower and castrol syntec? those are the two oils i use in my vehicles

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Quaker State, Penzoil P, Valvoline, RTS all group III

You need to specify that you're talking about synthetics, and even then, this is not completely true.

Motul 300V specifically states on the container that it is a Di-Ester oil. That's Group V.

It runs $30 for a 2 qt container and is worth it's weight in gold not only due to it's basestock but also high levels of ZDDP and Moly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
can i get a list of oils that belong in each of these categories?

One problem is that oil companies keep "reformulating" and what might be a GRP iv todday could be a grp iii. tomorrow.

Somebody write a letter to Obama....

wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Quaker State, Penzoil P, Valvoline, RTS all group III

All the above are probably mostly Group III, but may use some PAO...

what is valvoline synpower and castrol syntec? those are the two oils i use in my vehicles

Valvoline Synpower is greater than 80% and less than 90% GP III. I do know that they have UP TO 12% GP IV, BUT, I do not know if that is 100 cSt GP IV add pack or 10 cSt GP IV base blend, or some of both.
21.gif
I do know that from over a year of UOA research, in many, many areas, Valvoline is one of the most shear stable oils.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

Valvoline Synpower is greater than 80% and less than 90% GP III. I do know that they have UP TO 12% GP IV, BUT, I do not know if that is 100 cSt GP IV add pack or 10 cSt GP IV base blend, or some of both.
21.gif
I do know that from over a year of UOA research, in many, many areas, Valvoline is one of the most shear stable oils.

what are the top oil in group 3?
lol is there an abbreviation page, because i have no idea was gp cst are...
so valvoline synpower is group 3? what is castrol?

Last edited:
Based on looking at Korean MSDS's (the only country that I know that requires PAO to be disclosed in the MSDS), Mobil 1 products contain between 30% and 70% PAO 4 depending on the type and grade of oil (M1 sells over 15 different synthetic oils for automobiles in the USA alone).

But the Korean MSDS does not require disclosure of Group V Esters, so a M1 product with 30% PAO might have 10-20% Group V Ester base stock (but we don't really know).

On their new website Valvoline says they're a combination of Group III and Group IV, but does not give the percentages of them. It's in their FAQs

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Castrol is Group III, at least the Syntec stuff.

Except for the 0W-30, which is PAO.

True.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Except for the 0W-30, which is PAO.

Has substantial amounts of PAO, but probably not 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back