group III, group IV, group V oils??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sicko
On their new website Valvoline says they're a combination of Group III and Group IV, but does not give the percentages of them. It's in their FAQs

This is quite reasonable as they are one of few that at least tell you whats in their oils. I have been using Synpower 10w50 for last 8000k's, certainly one of my best ever.....

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
This is quite reasonable as they are one of few that at least tell you whats in their oils. I have been using Synpower 10w50 for last 8000k's, certainly one of my best ever.....

The problem is that many Group III oils contain small amounts (a few percent) of Group IV/V enhancers. There is a big difference between a few percent and 35%.

I don't now what percent of PAO is contained in SynPower, and maybe it does contain substantial amounts of PAO. I am sure that it is a fine synthetic oil that is appropriate for any application that it is certified for, ragardless of the exact amount of PAO.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
what is PAO?

Polyalphaolefin, the sole base oil that can be considered Group IV.

There are other more specific names for PAO. For example the following is the chemical name for PAO 4 cSt, which is one of the more common PAO's found in Group IV synthetic motor oil:

1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED (CAS# 68649-12-7). You can Google the CAS# to examples of this in various MSDS's. Note that the "1" is part of the chemical name.

Other PAO's with a VII of +155 or greater include CAS numbers 68037-01-4 (PAO 6), 151006-63-2 (PAO 7), 151006-62-1 (PAO 9), 163149-29-9 (PAO 40), etc.

When used as a base oil in large percentages, PAO 4 cSt probably has the best combination of viscosity, pour point, flash point, etc for most automotive engines.

For example, typical properties of PAO 4 cSt are a flash point of about 226 C, and a pour point of -69 C.

PAO 40 cSt is much higher viscosity PAO that has a flash point of 294 C and pour point of -34 C. PAO 40 cSt may be fine when used in very small quantities to fortify a Group I, II, or III oil, but would obviously not be appropriate when used in large quantities in a synthetic oil designed for most automobiles.

Here some Group III CAS numbers, but I don't know how comprehensive this list is for Group III base oils used by all motor oil manufacturers:
Hydrotreated paraffinic, heavy - 64742-52-5
Hydrotreated paraffinic, light - 64742-53-6

castrol is why group III can be called synthetic?? i read after the court ruling others such as mobil reformulated using cheaper group III oils in their synthetics??? that BULL does not apply to europe i believe

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
castrol is why group III can be called synthetic?? i read after the court ruling others such as mobil reformulated using cheaper group III oils in their synthetics??? that BULL does not apply to europe i believe

Applies to Germany only and I don't think anyoneon this board knows what % must be obtained to meet the german definition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Royal Purple = Group IV

They also have the XPR line which is thought to be a majority Grp V.

All of them use a mixture of differing groups. But usually have a predominant use of one group or another. I can say what is THOUGHT to be the case on a few...

Mind you, only they truly know for sure but here's what many think is the case...

AMSOIL
XL & OE: Majority Grp 3
Others: Majority Grp 4
Dominator: Majority Grp 5

Red Line: Majority Grp 5

Royal Purple: Majority Grp 4
XPR: Majority Grp 5

Motul 300v: Majority Grp V
X-lite: Majority Grp 4

Valvoline VR-1: Majority Grp 4 (?) [not sure here]

M1 EP: Majority Grp IV (?) [not sure here]
M1 Racing 0w30 & 50: Majority Grp V
15w50 Racing & 0w40 Euro: Majority Grp IV
0w20&30 AFE: Majority Grp 4 (not sure here)
Delvac 1: Majority Grp 4

German Castrol: Majority Grp 4

...remember, in most cases this is just all speculation. Though I think Red Line, XPR, Dominator & 300v pretty much outright say it. If you read M1's site they hint at it with their wording such as "supreme", "most advanced" base oils, and other terms like that.

Goil is a group V available at Walmart & Texas tea oil is a group V available on Amazon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back